PDA

View Full Version : Bowed bone blanks?

FinnP
02-24-2018, 04:00 AM
I just spent time sanding an oversized overbowed bone blank straight, just to discover that it after five minuttes the face returned to the overbowed shape I started with. Very frustrating :(
Is there a way to straighten bone, heat etc.?
All of the blanks i ordered have this slight bow.
I've never experienced this before.
Anyone have a source for straight bone blanks?

Timbuck
02-24-2018, 04:19 AM
I just spent time sanding an oversized overbowed bone blank straight, just to discover that it after five minuttes the face returned to the overbowed shape I started with. Very frustrating :(
Is there a way to straighten bone, heat etc.?
All of the blanks i ordered have this slight bow.
I've never experienced this before.
Anyone have a source for straight bone blanks?

Pictures please :confused:

BlackBearUkes
02-24-2018, 06:41 AM
Sounds like the bone was processed before it was cured. I purchase the bone blanks I use from Stew-Mac and have never had a problem in 20 years.

Wildestcat
02-24-2018, 09:05 AM
These days I use "Hosco" brand bone blanks sourced from Tonetech in the UK - I like the reliable and consistent sizing, and no issues at all with quality.

FinnP
02-24-2018, 12:33 PM
These days I use "Hosco" brand bone blanks sourced from Tonetech in the UK - I like the reliable and consistent sizing, and no issues at all with quality.

Thanks, I'll try Tonetech.

dofthesea
02-24-2018, 04:20 PM
Also sand both sides if your getting a build up of heat.

sequoia
02-25-2018, 06:33 PM
Never encountered this but it makes sense; bone is a lot like wood, it has a grain and the substance is gonna curl along grain lines. Try drying out in your oven and then sanding flat? Just a thought. I know nothing about processing bone. Maybe buy from a reliable bone supplier and buy bleached bone? Good luck.

Briangriffinukuleles
02-26-2018, 07:35 PM
I source just butchered bison legs from a local buffalo rancher, saw them in smallish pieces, simmer them in water for a couple of hours to get rid of the oils, Sit them in the sun for a few weeks, then saw again and sand them straight and flat. Never had one bend. Buffalo is harder/more dense than cow bone I am told. Only problem is what to do with those huge hooves.

tenor madness
03-02-2018, 03:39 PM
How does the hardness of the hooves compare to the bone in your estimation? Other large land mammal bones?

Briangriffinukuleles
03-04-2018, 07:25 PM
The hooves are soft like your toe nails. Seems a waste to toss them in the garbage, but I have never come up with a use for them. The leg bone is hard as heck. I started using it when a 2nd generation Hawaiian bone carver told me bison bone is 34% harder than cow bone.