PDA

View Full Version : Different strings for Baritone Ukulele

johnnysmash
02-27-2018, 05:41 AM
Is it safe to put Classical Guitar strings on a Baritone Ukulele. Is it safe to put strings 2, 3, 4, 5, on the ukulele instead of strings 1, 2, 3, 4 and tune them D G B E? Will that be too much pressure on the ukulele? Will it hurt the ukulele in any way?

Croaky Keith
02-27-2018, 06:54 AM
I've put classical guitar strings on my laminate tenor uke, (& also a concert), so no, it shouldn't hurt it. ;)

Jim Hanks
02-27-2018, 06:56 AM
Sure you can. They're just nylon. Some are specially packaged for bari like these:
https://allstringsnylon.com/daddario-hawaiian-j68-baritone-ukulele-strings

but any nylon strings in the same tension range are fine. And you are correct that the usual practice is to use 5/4/3/2 as D/G/B/E.

kissing
02-28-2018, 03:47 PM
Is it safe to put Classical Guitar strings on a Baritone Ukulele. Is it safe to put strings 2, 3, 4, 5, on the ukulele instead of strings 1, 2, 3, 4 and tune them D G B E? Will that be too much pressure on the ukulele? Will it hurt the ukulele in any way?

I do this all the time. In fact, I prefer it over the selection of strings actually sold as Baritone ukulele strings.
No harm is done.

It ends up being the same or slightly less tension than most strings sold as "Baritone strings".