Favorite strings for Kala Travel / spruce top ukes?

larabie23

Reaction score
Just wondering what kind of strings Kala Travel owners prefer to use. I’ve got the soprano and tenor thinline and thinking it’s time to explore new strings. I’m loving the Worth and Aquila lava on my other ukes and I’ve heard some use the Aquila reds on their Kala Travel ukes.

If you’re looking for good volume and sustain, try the Aquila Sugar strings. Great strings if you can get past the squeakyness from the texture.

A lot of people in my group have the tenors, since that is what the leader recommended when the group first started. A lot of them like Living Water...

I have a Kala spruce top soprano, though not the thinline. I went with Martins and love the sustain and clear, clean tone.

You might try Worth Brown if you want a slightly smoother sound, or Worth Clear if you prefer it brighter.

I did just that today ! So far I’m liking the Worth Brown, they do seem to round out the sound.

Put some D’Addario fluorocarbon on my Kala Spruce top today. A little mellow/muddy sounding are my first impressions. Not as loud or sustained as the Sugars I had on before it, but def more comfortable to play. Have a set of Martin tenor and concert strings that I will test coming in on Monday.

Had Worth Browns on mine (high G) tenor that my friend has. I like that they seem to tone down the brightness of the Spruce. And the Brown contrasts nicely against the lighter top.... having said that, strings are so subjective.

Put some D’Addario fluorocarbon on my Kala Spruce top today. A little mellow/muddy sounding are my first impressions. Not as loud or sustained as the Sugars I had on before it, but def more comfortable to play. Have a set of Martin tenor and concert strings that I will test coming in on Monday.

I'm going to try the Martins as well on my Tenor today. I put the Worth browns on my soprano yesterday; so far I like the sound, seems more balanced.

Top Bottom