Baritone uke tuned up to Hi C tenor tuning

icuker

Reaction score
Was at a store today where they had a Baritone Uke tuned re-entrant and tuned up to the tenor C tuning. It had a great sound quality. I didn't readily find any sets on line to match that and now wonder if it would be too much tension? It sure sounded great though.

It was not wound so I'm thinking the LMU-NW set would be the one?

You can use concert gauge reentrant strings like Worth CM. The thinner gauges will yield normal tensions, I have done this and it works well.

curious, why concert gauge and not tenor guage in your case?

curious, why concert gauge and not tenor guage in your case?

Because if you used tenor gauge the tension would be higher. I have done this and I don't mind high tension strings but with concert gauge it will feel like you are playing a normal tenor tension. Basically South Coast LMU which stand for light medium are thicknesses similar to concert gauge.

Aquila also sells sets in Nylgut and Lava series, for C6 tuning, i.e, GCEA on baritone.

Strings by Mail & Strings and Beyond both usually have them in stock, but typically if Amazon does via some rando 3rd-party seller, they are 2x-3x the price of these other dedicated string vendors.

Ok, I'll bet they were Aquila strings. Good to know. I'll get a set of either Southcoast or Aquilas and give it a try. Thanks for all the helpful information and quick replies. It was really fun playing that Baritone in that tuning. My wife loved it too (she also plays), We just don't use our Baritone much as it is now.

got a set of the C tuning for the baritone. Quick question, i do tune it up to the same pitch as my tenor uke, right? Frustrating with Uke strings is that they stretch so much even after i prestretch them by hand, way different than guitar strings.

Good thoughts on going to A or Bb, my wife and i sing a lot in those keys. since I've put on the C tuning strings I'll stick with it for now. I was able to get it up to tune after a bunch of cranking on the tuners. Good grief, much more work than guitar strings! It doesn't stay in tune for long but while it is, I find it sounds good. It's like having a bigger tenor uke in hi g which we needed. thanks for all the help and ideas. I have heard a Baritone in re-entrant D tuning, which I liked that too.

Top Bottom