Fighting parallax...

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
Any fellow builders help me with a growing problem? I have to now wear varifocals. Problem is, when I come to line things up I struggle. Anyone else get this? I don't want to but I think I am going to have to employ Chucks solution and have some single focus glasses around the shop.

I buy inexpensive single focus reading glasses in bulk and have them at various locations around the house for close up work whether it be woodworking, model plane making, fly tying, or even reading, always one close by and handy.

Any fellow builders help me with a growing problem? I have to now wear varifocals. Problem is, when I come to line things up I struggle. Anyone else get this? I don't want to but I think I am going to have to employ Chucks solution and have some single focus glasses around the shop.
My eyesight is getting worse too and lenses don't seem to help,you just see everthing in curves.:mad:
parallax has always been a problem in engineerig metroligy, just looking at a dial gauge the wrong way can make measurments way out..the way to get round it is to use jigs templates and other devices that are idiot proof..modern laser & digital measuring stuff is pretty good tho' ...Remember the video of the guy at the Martin factory who sorts out the problem dovetails on the neck joints..He seemed to use 2 gauges for setting the neck angles one for the centre line and another for the action.

I buy inexpensive single focus reading glasses in bulk and have them at various locations around the house for close up work whether it be woodworking, model plane making, fly tying, or even reading, always one close by and handy.

Me too! I get mine from " The £1 shop" 5 sets at a time, I now need + 4 magification..and they are getting hard to find.

Top Bottom