Uke ID

Flat bottom, rather elongated headstock shape, binding on the inside of the soundhole and the hollow fretboard dots all say Regal ukulele from the 1930s-1940s to me. But the checkered binding and the bridge shape are two things I can't pinpoint. Regal decals are easy to scratch off. That striped mahogany does look promising.

I have one the same as this and it is the best sounding vintage uke I have heard. Not sure who made it but the headstock is the same shape as my 1920s Le Domino (currently for sale in the marketplace with photos), so that would suggest Regal to me.

I'm leaning to a Regal made by by one of their better shops. I've heard stories that it was the SS Stewart shop that made these.

This is definitely a Regal ukulele. I have seen that black/white binding on their ukes many times. They used some really nice flamed mahogany on this ukulele.

As far as the custom shop, I've seen the "Regal Custom Shop" label on two ukuleles so I know it existed but I've never found any other information about it. My guess...and it's only a guess is that it wasn't a separate shop at all but rather the high end work of one or two of their exceptionally talented builders in their factory who would make some higher end ukes and perhaps some custom orders.

I have a very high end Regal that appears to have been a custom shop build but it has no label, just an inlayed MOP logo on the headstock.

This is definitely a Regal ukulele. I have seen that black/white binding on their ukes many times. They used some really nice flamed mahogany on this ukulele.

As far as the custom shop, I've seen the "Regal Custom Shop" label on two ukuleles so I know it existed but I've never found any other information about it. My guess...and it's only a guess is that it wasn't a separate shop at all but rather the high end work of one or two of their exceptionally talented builders in their factory who would make some higher end ukes and perhaps some custom orders.

I have a very high end Regal that appears to have been a custom shop build but it has no label, just an inlayed MOP logo on the headstock.

Any pics of that? I have heard some of the older Regal and Harmony instruments that were of their higher end models and that sounded great.

Last edited:
Lovely instrument!

Sure looks like a Regal headstock, that's some gorgeous wood!

Top Bottom