2018 Pono MGT

I have been eyeing the Acacia myself. But OMG does that Mango have some curl and flame !!!! Not in a spot where I can listen to the sound sample with any kind of clarity at the moment.
Will have a listen this evening.

Steve.

Hey all!

Looks like a model upgrade to the MGT from Pono: https://www.theukulelesite.com/pono-mgt-new-2018-mango-tenor.html

At the end of the sound sample, Corey says the sound is "huge for mango". I was all set on purchasing the Pono AT, but now I'm stuck. The wood on the MGT is absolutely gorgeous and I like the sweet sound too.

What do you guys think of it?
A couple of things for you to consider.

The chance of you getting the exact uke shown is pretty low, so the figure of the wood will be different from what you see (just a caution about expectations).

All ukes (and any other stringed instrument) with a hardwood/semi-hardwood top (e.g., mango, acacia, Koa acacia, mahogany) is not going to have the volume of a softwood top like spruce or cedar. That said, every piece of wood is different and will produce a different result. So the comments on the video are interesting but not definitive. They do say that the 2018 models have changed a bit in bracing and wood thickness. Maybe that has resulted in more volume.

I have seen your posts on the topic and know you are agonizing over this decision. At some point you just have to take the leap. I don't think there is a wrong decision with Pono.

A couple of things for you to consider.

The chance of you getting the exact uke shown is pretty low, so the figure of the wood will be different from what you see (just a caution about expectations).

All ukes (and any other stringed instrument) with a hardwood/semi-hardwood top (e.g., mango, acacia, Koa acacia, mahogany) is not going to have the volume of a softwood top like spruce or cedar. That said, every piece of wood is different and will produce a different result. So the comments on the video are interesting but not definitive. They do say that the 2018 models have changed a bit in bracing and wood thickness. Maybe that has resulted in more volume.

I have seen your posts on the topic and know you are agonizing over this decision. At some point you just have to take the leap. I don't think there is a wrong decision with Pono.

I agree with everything Uke Don has said, but there is a twist. If you want "THAT ONE" phone them and request it. If you do it quickly and it has not been sold they will sell it to you. I have done this and so have others that I know.

You gotta make a decision and if this is the one you love the looks and sound of then pull the trigger now.

Edit......But to be clear I am not sure the one pictured is the one being played, so it depends

Last edited:
Yes, you are correct in that I've been agonizing over this decision lol. I will hopefully make up my mind soon. I'm under mind that the AT sits between the MT and MGT in terms of warm/mellow (MT) and sweet (MGT). So I'm still leaning on the side of the AT, but the Mango just looks too beautiful to pass up.

I suspect that you'd be happy with either model, they are Ponos, after all.
If the wood figure is what is most important to you, then call up HMS and ask for photos of there stock on hand. Its easy enough to do in this digital age.
If you are serious customer, they would probably accommodate you.
Good luck and keep us informed, I live vicariously!

I agree: ask them if the one pictured is still available (the one in the video looks lighter and less figured, so it might not be the very same). With Mango, every piece of wood looks different, so you never know what you're gonna get. If they do have that particular one you like, then you are all settled. Personally, though, I'd rather go the AT both visually and for sound.

I agree: ask them if the one pictured is still available (the one in the video looks lighter and less figured, so it might not be the very same). With Mango, every piece of wood looks different, so you never know what you're gonna get. If they do have that particular one you like, then you are all settled. Personally, though, I'd rather go the AT both visually and for sound.

What about the AT sound do you like over the MGT?

Sorry to tack on... Is there any information anywhere about what changed between 2017 and 2018 models? HMS says 2018, but I didn't see any significant difference

Sorry to tack on... Is there any information anywhere about what changed between 2017 and 2018 models? HMS says 2018, but I didn't see any significant difference

When I emailed Andrew about the changes, he said they worked on improving the bracing. Here's what he said when I asked him what changes were made and how it compares to the 2018 Pono AT (I went with the AT):

"The new AT's have the same adjustments. They just made some changes to the bracing. Noa from Ko'olau spent some time redoing various aspects with them last year and we've been getting the new ones from various models for a few months now. They just sound a little better. It's subtle but a little more open. They always open up over time though even in the first few months. All these woods do. But there is no volume difference in the MGT and AT to me. It's just a slight difference in voicing. The AT has a little more bite. A little more clarity I think. But still warm. I'd say it sits between the MT and MGT. All three are similar. I don't even know which one I like better. Maybe the mango, depends on which one I'm playing because those AT's sound great too."

They changed several things. Most important is the abolition of all rosewood parts, due to new restrictions. The fretboards and bridges are now Ebony instead of Rosewood. The faceplate used to be Rosewood as well. For the same reason, they are moving away from Pearl inlay. The logo is now Ebony instead of Pearl. Not sure about the fret markers. On their more expensive lines, they replaced the Abalone rosette with either rope or contrasting wood.

They have also adjusted the bracing and made the neck slightly thinner.

I think they are also including a hard case now, even with their entry line of instruments.

These are the changes that I am aware of.

I think they are also including a hard case now, even with their entry line of instruments.

These are the changes that I am aware of.

The Pono MGT will not be coming with the same hard case as the MT and AT. If you purchase from HMS, they will provide you with a "canvas hard case" instead of the ones Pono provided with the MT and AT models. Along with the tone, this is another reason why I went with the AT instead of the MGT.

Top Bottom