if Kanilea can be installed for Fishman AG passive pickup?

hjiandong18

Reaction score
Hi, all.
I want to install my kanilea K1 tenor a Fishman AG passive pickup. However, after checking from the Internet, I found that:
The pick up can be installed only if ukulele is big enough to cope with the 2.3mm width, and that the G to A string spacing is no more than 42.44mm! (from Fishman offical website)
So I ask Joe for the information of my ukulele built in 2010 year.
His response is :
"Our recommendations would be to have your new pickup be:

3/32” (2.3 mm) saddle width and 1.73”(44 mm) G to A string spacing"

Now i do not know if this pickup can be installed. So now I want to open a thread to ask you,anyone has experience for a Fishman AG passive pickup? Is it possible?

Thank you!

So fishman websites say 2.3mm witdth and kanilea says 2.3mm will work. Kanileas says 44 mm but the 42.5mm should work.

I would recommend you try a JJB electronics pick up.
jjb electronic pick up.

So i want to look for some one who has installed Fishman ag passive pick up to his kanilea.

I'm wary that the Fishman AG's shorter length may mean you end up with a bit of balance issues between strings.

There are 44mm length uke pickups out there.
For example, this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ARTEC-Piez...U-MADOLIN-PP407M-ARTEC-ORIGINAL/112510228690?

However, this one says it is 44mm length and 2.6mm width.

It might be too wide to fit in the Kanilea bridge under the saddle if it is strictly 2.3mm

2.3mm seems quite narrow compared to most other ukes though. Usually the Artec one fits most ukes.

One way to find out is ordering one and seeing if it physically fits in the Kanilea bridge.

Installing a passive pickup isn't some kind of rocket science. Its simply a matter of finding a good quality pickup that fits on the uke and having it installed. You don't need to insist on that Fishman one, especially seeing that it is shorter in length than the Kanilea saddle.

It is possible that the Fishman could work on the Kanilea just fine. Keeping in mind, the saddle is longer than the course of strings. The pickup doesn't need to be the same length as the saddle, but shorter with the saddle sitting on top of it

Perhaps Kanilea owners could chime in on what pickups they use?

Last edited:
hi thank you very much for your reply. actually i have saw some post that there are some guys installing fishman ag pickup on kanilea ukulele. but this time i just want to make sure it, then i will go to buy from internet. can you recommend some other high end passive ukulele pickup?

I had one in my K1 tenor a few years ago. I remember that I was not happy with the balance between strings, but I can't remember the specifics.

Top Bottom