Aquila sugar strings gauges

Lapyang

Reaction score
I was about to put on my newly arrived sugar strings on my Soprano and make a comparison video of sugar vs FC strings, then I realized I mistakenly ordered a concert set. I tried Aquila website to see if the gauges are the same, soprano vs concert set, but no info listed. Does anyone know if these two set have the same gauges or different? If the same, then I will just put the concert set on my Soprano and make a video, otherwise, I will have to order and wait...

If mimmo is seeing this, I need your help.

I looked in a couple of places and don't see that info either. If it matters, there are people who use concert strings on soprano.

I looked in a couple of places and don't see that info either. If it matters, there are people who use concert strings on soprano.

I know of people who use Concert strings on Tenor, to lessen the tension. So will using Concert strings on Soprano increase the tension?

I think that makes sense. I am not sure how much it would increase. Some people claim that it makes the soprano sound a bit beefier.

will using Concert strings on Soprano increase the tension?

Only if they are bigger guages. Or you can have the same tension with a lower tuning.

One thing you could do if you're happy with the tension on your current set and if you're using reentrant tuning,is the following. Tune up your old strings then remove the 1st string - the 'a' string. Now put the new 'a' string on and tune it up to 'g' - same pitch as the old 4th string. Now compare the tension. Is it noticeably lower? Then you can go on up to 'a'. Is it higher? Then maybe you want to stop there and have a Bb tuning. About the same? Maybe stop there or try going up to g# for an overall B tuning.

Only if they are bigger guages. Or you can have the same tension with a lower tuning.

One thing you could do if you're happy with the tension on your current set and if you're using reentrant tuning,is the following. Tune up your old strings then remove the 1st string - the 'a' string. Now put the new 'a' string on and tune it up to 'g' - same pitch as the old 4th string. Now compare the tension. Is it noticeably lower? Then you can go on up to 'a'. Is it higher? Then maybe you want to stop there and have a Bb tuning. About the same? Maybe stop there or try going up to g# for an overall B tuning.

Thanks Jim! An ingenious way to find the perfect personal tension. I did need to read your instructions a few times, then it clicked!

Cao Lapyang,
do not worry.
The Sugar plastic compound has same density of supernylgut/new nygut so they have even the same gauges
Mimmo

Thank you mimmo, I will put the concert set on the Soprano, let it stabilized, then make a video!

Top Bottom