PDA

View Full Version : The Cost of Uke

Jerryc41
03-11-2018, 01:03 AM
Here's an odd question. How do you keep track of the costs of the ukuleles you buy? Do you include the shipping cost? On the one hand, that is definitely a cost of getting the uke. On the other hand, that cost is not for the ukulele. Shipping could cost $10 or $40, but that's not for the item itself.

Suppose you have to drive to a store to buy a ukulele. Do you include the cost of gas, tolls, and meals - or even overnight lodging?

I've decided to go back and list just the actual cost of the ukes I've bought.

I ordered a Fluke, and I thought I'd drive to The Magic Fluke to pick it up and save shipping. If I did that, I would have to pay sales tax, so I'd save only about $1.50 for three hours of round trip driving. When I list the price of the Fluke, it will be for the instrument itself.

This may seem like a minor thing, but it can lower the total spent for ukuleles considerably. Creative bookkeeping? Maybe. :o

mikelz777
03-11-2018, 01:38 AM
Basic economics would tell us that you would have to account for everything to determine the true cost. I can tell myself that a uke only cost me $250 but if I'm paying $20 for shipping, $20 to get it set up and $50 for a case then that uke is actually costing me $340. You'd have to account for the additional expense because you are missing out on the "opportunity cost" of that money. In this case, you'd be spending an additional $90 for uke related expenses that you could have spent on other things but now you can't because you spent those dollars for the uke related things.

In your Fluke scenario, it would make more sense just to pay the cost of shipping. Consider what you make in an hour at work and call that dollar amount what your time is worth and multiply that by your driving time. Then consider what you'd be missing out on when you think what else you could have done with that time. Then consider cost of gas, wear and tear on the car and money that might be spent on that trip that you wouldn't have spent if you hadn't taken the trip. If you'd want to break it down that way, then it would make more sense just to have it shipped. But then again, maybe the trip would be a lot of fun for you and you could chalk up the expenses as entertainment/leisure you might have otherwise spent for entertainment/leisure elsewhere.

DownUpDave
03-11-2018, 01:40 AM
I don't think about any of this. I think about the all the joy ukulele brings me............priceless. This is the cheapest mental healing and spirtual therapy anyone could undertake. To feel this good and not wake up hungover is worth whatever the cost

Booli
03-11-2018, 01:55 AM
I don't think about any of this. I think about the all the joy ukulele brings me............priceless. This is the cheapest mental healing and spirtual therapy anyone could undertake. To feel this good and not wake up hungover is worth whatever the cost

This ^.

Dave is very wise.

For me, life is too short to split hairs and get bogged down with things that slow our momentum towards happiness.

SoloRule
03-11-2018, 03:02 AM

I donít know how to respond to this theory consider what I just did yesterday ;).
I guess you are right.

DownUpDave
03-11-2018, 03:03 AM
This ^.

Dave is very wise.

For me, life is too short to split hairs and get bogged down with things that slow our momentum towards happiness.

Booli your last line is brilliant........momentum towards happienss. Gonna get a t-shirt that says "On a Trajectory Towards Happiness"

dxn2
03-11-2018, 03:03 AM
With most things I buy/sell online I will include/leave off tax and shipping as needed when I discuss the costs with my wife :p. It's just easier that way.

Otherwise I don't bother.

DownUpDave
03-11-2018, 03:04 AM
I don’t know how to respond to this theory consider what I just did yesterday ;).
I guess you are right.

You make it sound like you got really drunk:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

But I know that is not the case

Croaky Keith
03-11-2018, 03:12 AM
Interesting thoughts, but when I buy a uke, it is worth what I pay, to me. :)

On occasion when I tally up how much I've spent on them, just to compare to how much other people spend on their hobby, I just take a rough costing of the uke price itself. ;)

What I have spent on them could have been spent elsewhere, I gave up smoking & drinking a long time ago now, & I don't have holidays, so just imagine how much other people spend on those, & then compare that to what you have spent on your ukes. :D

I'm also spending on harmonicas, but it is money that would have gone elsewhere, if I hadn't given up those habits. :cheers:

Jerryc41
03-11-2018, 03:59 AM
Interesting thoughts, but when I buy a uke, it is worth what I pay, to me. :)

On occasion when I tally up how much I've spent on them, just to compare to how much other people spend on their hobby, I just take a rough costing of the uke price itself. ;)

What I have spent on them could have been spent elsewhere, I gave up smoking & drinking a long time ago now, & I don't have holidays, so just imagine how much other people spend on those, & then compare that to what you have spent on your ukes. :D

I'm also spending on harmonicas, but it is money that would have gone elsewhere, if I hadn't given up those habits. :cheers:

Right! I'm amazed at what people spend on drinks, cigarettes, and coffee. All that money goes into my ukuleles.

Jerryc41
03-11-2018, 04:03 AM
...momentum towards happiness.

Different strokes for different folks.

I've always kept meticulous records for cars and anything else that I could. I can look back and see what mileage my 1962 MG or 1965 Ford was getting. Yes, that makes me happy. :p

I made up a table in a word processor with date, cost, seller, etc., for my ukes. I don't look on it as a chore.

Ukecaster
03-11-2018, 04:30 AM
A while back, I started keeping an expansive spreadsheet, with detailed specs of all the uke models I had tried along the way. My wife saw it, and commented that I must have OCD. I told her "no honey, I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are all ordered alphabetically, as they should be." :D

Booli
03-11-2018, 04:34 AM
...I made up a table in a word processor with date, cost, seller, etc., for my ukes. I don't look on it as a chore.

You'd be better served to use a spreadsheet like Excel or one of the many others...

Not only do you get nice tables to line up your numbers in columns and rows, but you can use simple formulas to add tax, shipping, etc, as well as total each column or row, and it all updates automatically as per the formula you put in when you add items later.

Formulas are not hard, i.e. you have a row that has price paid, tax, shipping, in the 1st 3 columns...

and the forumula would look like

=SUM(1-3)

in the 4th column of that row....to give you the total

Lots of tutirials on YT for more help.

I do not use ANY Microsoft products and instead use LibreOffice, which is perfectly fine for my needs and it runs on Mac/Linux/Windows so I am not tied forever to any operating system or a bad software company.

Jerryc41
03-11-2018, 05:11 AM
You'd be better served to use a spreadsheet like Excel or one of the many others...

Not only do you get nice tables to line up your numbers in columns and rows, but you can use simple formulas to add tax, shipping, etc, as well as total each column or row, and it all updates automatically as per the formula you put in when you add items later.

Formulas are not hard, i.e. you have a row that has price paid, tax, shipping, in the 1st 3 columns...

and the forumula would look like

=SUM(1-3)

in the 4th column of that row....to give you the total

Lots of tutirials on YT for more help.

I do not use ANY Microsoft products and instead use LibreOffice, which is perfectly fine for my needs and it runs on Mac/Linux/Windows so I am not tied forever to any operating system or a bad software company.

Good idea. I've used spreadsheets before. Remember Lotus 1-2-3? :)

Rakelele
03-11-2018, 05:13 AM
I have been agonizing over additional cost such as shipping, taxes, or a nicer case. But once a uke arrives, I am so happy with it that it simply doesn't matter if it cost a few bucks more or less. It was worth it to me, and that's that.

Lapyang
03-11-2018, 05:24 AM
I tried to tally up but then looking at the numbers makes me sweat and feel guilty. As long as I am happy with the uke, it is worth the price, even if it means I have to put up extra to set it up right, change strings or to fix it. When I am selling the uke, the initial up front total cost means very little, the buyer will only pay what he/she thinks it's worth, and the market price at that time. Buyers don't care how much I paid for shipping initially, they all want free shipping to them, INSURED.
So I just relaxe and enjoy.

Ziret
03-11-2018, 05:27 AM
A while back, I started keeping a detailed spreadsheet, with detailed specs of all the uke models I had tried along the way. My wife saw it, and commented that I must have OCD. I told her "no honey, I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are all ordered alphabetically, as they should be." :D

Lol! When I use this line, I'm going to pretend I just thought of it.

Booli
03-11-2018, 05:28 AM
Good idea. I've used spreadsheets before. Remember Lotus 1-2-3? :)

Yep. Seems like ages ago, and it was. I am a dinosaur in computer years Ha ha!

Harvard Graphics, WordPerfect, ccMail, VisiCalc, MultiMate, Autodesk Animator...and so many others...

Luckily for dosbox I can still play Commander Keen, Duke Nukem, Jazz Jackrabbit and Lemmings ...even in 2018 :)

sorry for the digression

Iulia
03-11-2018, 05:59 AM
how many ukes do you all have that you need SPREADSHEETS to keep track of the prices :rofl:

Ukecaster
03-11-2018, 06:02 AM
how many ukes do you all have that you need SPREADSHEETS to keep track of the prices :rofl:

Let me check my spreadsheet :D.

Actually, I don't put prices on there...I don't want to know.

Booli
03-11-2018, 06:03 AM

"I politely decline to answer on account that I may incriminate myself."
:smileybounce:

kohanmike
03-11-2018, 06:25 AM
The only time I think about price is when I'm getting ready to buy a uke. I include shipping costs as part of it. I bought a Lanikai Thinline Bocote recently, saw it from two stores online, calculated all the costs and chose the store with lower shipping and a first time buyer discount. Instead of paying $399.95, I paid $359.95.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos (https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos)

Choirguy
03-11-2018, 06:46 AM
I saw this thread earlier today and a few thoughts crossed my mind.

1) Going to a factory/shop where a ukulele is made changes the value of the instrument...it becomes a memory and an experience beyond the instrument itself. This makes it more valuable for us (individually)...but if you ever sell it people really wonít care.

2) Regarding buying an instrument, you can always ask for a discount or a lower price. That goes with ďnewĒ items, too. This isnít going to work in some places (e.g. the Apple Store), but other vendors may throw in something else, or offer a different model (or a scratch and dent) at a significant savings. Sellers may react negatively to a lower price, may say ďno,Ē or may offer a counter offer...but then you donít have to buy it, either. Sellers are usually at a disadvantage. When online, I also look for existing discount codes and try to use them whenever possible. I could have used a Strings By Mail discount yesterday...and I know a nw code will be coming with the shipment when it arrives.

As a buyer, what I do depends on where I am at financially, and what my perceived value of an item is. Ultimately, I donít want to have to pay more for something than I have to...and Iím sure you all feel the same way. Iím not going to be political, but a few of my close friends have been very loud and upset about coming tax changes that will benefit them financially...but none of them are going to send a check back to the government to say, ďI really donít want this money.Ē

Jerryc41
03-11-2018, 07:12 AM
Yep. Seems like ages ago, and it was. I am a dinosaur in computer years Ha ha!

Harvard Graphics, WordPerfect, ccMail, VisiCalc, MultiMate, Autodesk Animator...and so many others...

Luckily for dosbox I can still play Commander Keen, Duke Nukem, Jazz Jackrabbit and Lemmings ...even in 2018 :)

sorry for the digression

I've been using WordPerfect for decades - best word processor going.

Jerryc41
03-11-2018, 07:17 AM

Right now, I have 33 in the house, three on the way, and two on the horizon. Ridiculous? Yeah, just a bit, but I can't resist. :rolleyes:

I like to say I play my ukes just about every day - when the new one arrives. : )

Jerryc41
03-11-2018, 07:24 AM
I saw this thread earlier today and a few thoughts crossed my mind.

1) Going to a factory/shop where a ukulele is made changes the value of the instrument...it becomes a memory and an experience beyond the instrument itself. This makes it more valuable for us (individually)...but if you ever sell it people really won’t care.

2) Regarding buying an instrument, you can always ask for a discount or a lower price. That goes with “new” items, too. This isn’t going to work in some places (e.g. the Apple Store), but other vendors may throw in something else, or offer a different model (or a scratch and dent) at a significant savings. Sellers may react negatively to a lower price, may say “no,” or may offer a counter offer...but then you don’t have to buy it, either. Sellers are usually at a disadvantage. When online, I also look for existing discount codes and try to use them whenever possible. I could have used a Strings By Mail discount yesterday...and I know a nw code will be coming with the shipment when it arrives.

As a buyer, what I do depends on where I am at financially, and what my perceived value of an item is. Ultimately, I don’t want to have to pay more for something than I have to...and I’m sure you all feel the same way. I’m not going to be political, but a few of my close friends have been very loud and upset about coming tax changes that will benefit them financially...but none of them are going to send a check back to the government to say, “I really don’t want this money.”

1. Definitely! That's why I might pick up my Fluke in person when it's finished. I like to have memories with acquisitions.

2. Again, definitely! Music dealers want to move product. I usually phone them about a purchase, and I often get a discount. A ukulele sitting on a shelf isn't making them any money.

SoloRule
03-11-2018, 07:47 AM
Right now, I have 33 in the house, three on the way, and two on the horizon. Ridiculous? Yeah, just a bit, but I can't resist. :rolleyes:

I like to say I play my ukes just about every day - when the new one arrives. : )

This thread is drawing out all the addicts ha ha ha
I feel at home here

UkerDanno
03-11-2018, 07:54 AM
Haha...why would I want to track how much $$$'s I lose on UAS...:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Jerryc41
03-11-2018, 08:15 AM
Haha...why would I want to track how much $$$'s I lose on UAS...:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Sympathy? :)

Croaky Keith
03-11-2018, 08:28 AM

Probably when you can't remember where you put them all..........

Ukecaster
03-11-2018, 09:06 AM

You can have fun looking...like an Easter egg hunt!

Iulia
03-11-2018, 10:59 AM

why isn't there a like button on this forum???

Jerryc41
03-11-2018, 11:06 AM
why isn't there a like button on this forum???

Yes, there should be, and we should be allowed to reply with one word. Another forum I visit also has a lower limit of about a dozen characters.

Iulia
03-11-2018, 11:42 AM
Don't want to derail the thread, but it would be nice to just acknowledge the many funny comments without having to quote each one :p

Rllink
03-11-2018, 11:58 AM
I've never went to such lengths to determine how much money I spend on anything. I've just never thought about it. But now that it has come to my attention, I bought an Ohana Soprano ukulele last fall. But I spent close to six months waiting for it to find me. In that time I went to a ukulele festival in Minnesota with the intention of finding a ukulele there. But I didn't find one and finally ended up buying it on line when I got back. So does that count? Can I add the cost of the gas, the cost to get into the festival, the cost of the hotel room, and all the food and drink in the search for it? Because that is one expensive ukulele if I can. I'm not sure I like this game, now that I think about it.

tstarky
03-11-2018, 12:28 PM

:cool: I haven't seen that many in a store.

mikelz777
03-11-2018, 12:48 PM
I've never went to such lengths to determine how much money I spend on anything. I've just never thought about it.

I can't say that I never have but I rarely do. At the same time, I'm a realist so I'm also going to take into account the cost of a case, the cost of a set-up (if any) and the cost of a humidifier when I come to a total cost in my mind. (I've only owned 4 ukes, 2 of which I still own.) It works the same way on the selling side. I won't claim to have sold something for $xx without taking into account Ebay and PayPal fees - the cost of selling.

But now that it has come to my attention, I bought an Ohana Soprano ukulele last fall. But I spent close to six months waiting for it to find me. In that time I went to a ukulele festival in Minnesota with the intention of finding a ukulele there. But I didn't find one and finally ended up buying it on line when I got back. So does that count? Can I add the cost of the gas, the cost to get into the festival, the cost of the hotel room, and all the food and drink in the search for it? Because that is one expensive ukulele if I can. I'm not sure I like this game, now that I think about it.

I think taking that trip into account is taking things too far. Your cost is what you paid to get it online plus any add-ons such as a case, etc.

Jerryc41
03-11-2018, 03:28 PM
If you are a true collector you would record the costs, maybe itemised into components, as part of your collector data base. If you don't keep a data base, you are more likely to be an accumulator than a collector. Also you would keep track of the sales prices using eBay and other sources. The actual amount is not the point of keeping the data for a collector. The point is that you know what is a fair trade or selling price, including postage, when you come to haggling for a swap or a purchase from another collector. You need to swap and buy and sell to be able to maintain and build a good collection, so keeping the price data is an important part of being a collector.
The real value in any ukulele is how much enjoyment you get from it. But it does pay to stay aware of how much it is worth in dollars for several reasons. You never know when you may be forced to sell it. You also need to know how much other people will pay for it so you can use appropriate care and security arrangements. And it if gets lost or damaged, keeping the sales and monetary data is very useful in making the insurance claims. Loss and theft and forced sale are things that no-one wants, but they do happen. It is not hard to keep the sales data, and you need to include the cost of postage and other items that you can claim on insurance.
When we buy ukes, they are the best thing on the planet and there can be nothing wrong with them sometimes in our imaginations. Looking at the sales price and resale values can bring a good dose of much needed reality.
So I think the delivered price of your uke is worth keeping, and it is worth following re-sale values, even if you are just an accumulator.
If you are lucky enough to be able to drive to MFC to pick up a uke. The money is not a real concern, the round trip is a privileged adventure that most people on the planet cannot access.

Very good! Especially the last two sentences. :o

Jerryc41
03-12-2018, 02:12 AM
I've never went to such lengths to determine how much money I spend on anything.

I use Quicken to keep track of my expenses, so getting totals is just a few clicks away. I can tell you how much I spent on food in 2010. Yes, it can be depressing. All that money wasted on food. Just think of the great ukes I could have bought. :(

Rllink
03-12-2018, 03:59 AM
I use Quicken to keep track of my expenses, so getting totals is just a few clicks away. I can tell you how much I spent on food in 2010. Yes, it can be depressing. All that money wasted on food. Just think of the great ukes I could have bought. :(My wife uses some program to track spending, but she doesn't include my random purchases, so ukuleles aren't included. Neither are golf or motorcycles.

Jerryc41
03-12-2018, 05:33 AM
My wife uses some program to track spending, but she doesn't include my random purchases, so ukuleles aren't included. Neither are golf or motorcycles.

I can understand that. It's hardly worth the effort to track random purchases like that. : )

PS. I bought your book. I like to support independent authors.

Nickie
03-12-2018, 05:56 AM
I never even thought about that. I don't keep track of that sort of thing. I know I've thrown hundreds of dollars around on ukes that I didn't keep.
But I don't consider that to compare even close to the value of the joy I've received playing the ones I've kept.

sunshiNee
03-13-2018, 01:14 AM
For me ukulele is saving me money:). I too have expensive hobbies like golf, and motorcycle but because of the Ukulele I have dialed those hobbies down. Green fees and motorcycle cycle insurance are comparatively expensive compared to the US. It's about $750 a year for motorcycle insurance (I'm on the cheapend!), and green fees around the greater Toronto area range from 50-200 dollars a round. It adds up.

As for the Ukulele... You buy one or two, and playing it doesn't cost you a penny. However, I am trying to resist what golfers coined, "equipment ho-ing" which is the same as UAS. We are looking for that magic bullet to improve our game. But I try my best to refer to the old adage, "It's not the arrow, it's the Indian." Like golf, people would benefit from teaching lessons and instruction than an equipment change. That new golf driver, ain't gonna make you hit straighter. Or that new ukulele ain't gonna make you play in time according to the sheet music. Having learned that valuable lesson, I end up, buying books, supporting Ukulele websites (RockClass, Ukulele Way,etc), and Patreons who offer so much to the community. 10 bux a month for those websites, Patreon members, you can donate a dollar which is less than a cup of coffee to get access to a bunch of songs and tips. Improving your playing skills goes a long way. You see dudes like George Elmes who started on a $20 dollar Ukulele and how great of a player he has become. At that point you can buy any Ukulele you want :) It's like new golfers purchasing expensive "blade irons" that pros use, instead of opting for the game improvement iron set......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nf4BiossT8

With that being said, and dont wanna risk offending anybody. If you have the means to buy the latest and greatest. Or vintage and greatest, go ahead. Life it's too short.

My wife uses some program to track spending, but she doesn't include my random purchases, so ukuleles aren't included. Neither are golf or motorcycles.

frolicks
03-15-2018, 08:17 AM
I wouldn't go to that lengths either. And I don't count the shipping costs either. It's just the money that I have to pay for NOT having to go to the factory. Of course, if I have the opportunity to go there, I'd alway prefer that. I feel, the most important thing about buying a musical instrument is taking it in my own hands and play it before I buy it. Unfortunately that's not always possible.
E.g., it's too far from here where I live (near Frankfurt/Germany) to the Magic Fluke Company. As is it to Hawaii... But I did go to Brueko twice... the only or at least most renowned German ukulele manufacturer (I know, there is Risa, too, but they mostly produce outside Germany now). Going there always gives me the opportunity to choose from different instruments. And there are always some instruments which never make it to the online catalogues. On one visit I had the chance to pick up a really rare thing... and until this date one of my very favourite instruments: a longneck soprano with a cedar top and a body made of Brazilian rosewood. I'd never have had the chance to get hold of this beautiful and marvelously sounding thing just from ordering online.
So why should I calculate the driving costs? Brueko is about 75 miles from here, about an hour and a half by car. But the experience of going there and picking up this very special instrument, "my" uke, is just priceless. Add to that, of course, that I could take a look at the factory and the various production steps, which you usually don't get to see. Considering all this, why should I worry about the few bucks I had to spend to go there? I just don't see the point.

captain-janeway
03-15-2018, 12:22 PM
I'm going with the happy factor. It's like working on mopeds. All of us think we're insane. You'll pick up a beat up 30 year old bike, but once you tweak the engine and keep buying the parts to get it running and the repairs when it breaks down (it will) you've spent at least $1000. Ask any of us if we'll give up the hobby and we'll all tell you no. We just go with the motto Mopeds, mo problems.

If the uke is in my price range, I don't worry about the other stuff. I'll go to a brick and mortar when possible because I can play them and I like shopping locally.

Rllink
03-16-2018, 03:53 AM
Ukuleles themselves are not an ongoing cost for me, it is all the other stuff. I just bought a mixer and another foot pedal that will let me switch between amps. I used to go to the coffee shop to do my gig there and just walk in with a ukulele. Now I have to make three trips out to the Ford for all my stuff. This thread is actually making me think about somehow documenting what I have in the tablet, amps, pedals, and microphones. Not to mention all the little accoutrements that I buy. I have to have a little do hickey to attach the tablet to the mic stand because the do hickey that I have doesn't work like I wish that it would. Just stuff like that. That is where I'm spending money. I suppose that is gear acquisition syndrome. I don't have UAS, but I do have plenty of GAS. But it might be good to get a handle on how much all that is costing me, if just for curiosities sake. But then it might scare me too.

mikelz777
03-16-2018, 04:37 AM
But it might be good to get a handle on how much all that is costing me, if just for curiosities sake. But then it might scare me too.

My wife and I did that one time to see what we spent on eating meals out in the course of a month. It was scary and I'd have to admit, a bit embarrassing.

Jerryc41
03-16-2018, 05:01 AM
My wife and I did that one time to see what we spent on eating meals out in the course of a month. It was scary and I'd have to admit, a bit embarrassing.

I know what you mean. With Quicken, too much information is available at the click of a mouse.

CeeJay
03-16-2018, 08:24 AM
I think accoutrement was the word Rlink's preconceived textualisation deviant was looking five......;)

Rllink
03-16-2018, 09:26 AM
I can see how that would run into a chunk of change: accouchement is the process of giving birth, much more expensive these days than some extra gear.

I think accoutrement was the word Rlink's preconceived textualisation deviant was looking five......;)

Good one. (Big embarrassed smile:). I have trouble with them there big words.