My New Kanile'a K-3 Concert

Ragtop232

Reaction score
I'll start by saying I couldn't resist this ukulele. I saw it on HMS website after it was just published and immediately knew I had to have it. I've been fortunate to have some very nice ukes in the past. Unfortunately I've had to change from tenor scale to concert scale because of arthritic joint pain and the slightly smaller concert scale really helps. So I'm in transition of replacing my tenor scale instruments with concert scaled ukuleles.

I've been a Martin fan for ages and I do have a Concert Style 3K Custom on order, but the look of Kanile'a have always intrigued me while hearing them left me undecided because most are plugged in when recorded. Well, I decided to see what all the fuss was about and ordered a K-1 Concert from HMS in January. All I can say is I love the feel, playability and sound of Kanile'a. It's what made me feel comfortable purchasing this K-3. Anyway, I should have it in a couple more weeks.

Jim

Last edited:
Congrat's! Kanile'as are awesome. Personally, I'm not a fan of the heartwood look though.

I understand. But it's really what drew me to this particular uke. The wood looks like a marriage of spalted maple and koa.

The unique thing I found with my K-1 is just how "played in" it felt. Like an old pair of your most comfortable jeans. And this was how it felt brand new. As you can see, I'm turning into a huge Kanile'a fan. :)

Jim

Last edited:
Wow, congrats on scoring a distinctively beautiful Kanile'a! I don't think I've ever seen spalted Koa like that. I'm sure it will play like butter and sound as good as it looks! :shaka:

Ohhh I saw this one in HMS! I agree that it is super super beautiful and definitely very unique. It has so much character.

Love it -- very unique with its spalting! The wait will be agony but worth it!

That is gorgeous! Congratulations! Anyone else see a leopard on the front and faces on the back?

That is a beauty, Congratulations! Several of my ukulele buddies have Kanile’as, and they sound great.

That is gorgeous! Congratulations! Anyone else see a leopard on the front and faces on the back?

I do see it now that you bring that to my attention. I even see a larger leopard on the bottom half and a smaller right above that one in the upper half of the lower bout spalting.

Jim

Congratulations! That is a one of a kind uke, looks lovely!

Top Bottom