Gibson Army Navy Special mandolin

strumsilly

Reaction score
adpicback.jpgyea, I know it's not a ukulele, but it does have 4 pairs of strings. I just listed it on mandolin cafe, but I thought I'd post it here for any multi-instrumentalists.
Gibson Army Navy Mandolin in good playing condition
This is a simple flat top / flat back Army Navy Special mandolin made by the Gibson Company in Kalamazoo, Michigan from 1918 into the early1920's. The top is spruce and the back and sides are maple.
I purchased this mandolin with the hope of getting back into playing the mando, but I almost exclusively play the ukulele and so it just sits [hangs]. It was unplayable as purchased, had loose braces and no bridge or nut. I took it to my local luthier and it was restored to playing condition.
This mandolin has a repaired top crack (glued and cleated)which runs along the g string.No back or side cracks, but The back had to be removed to repair loose braces and the seam is visible. The finish does not appear to be original .

The original pickguard is missing.. I replaced the tuners that came on it with some drop in replacements from Stew-Mac [$60] the originals ? will be included. Several of them are very stiff and the stewmacs are smooth and work perfectly. This is a great player with a unique tone. It is loud and lively, and somewhat rare.
There is no case, but it will be packed securely. I have bought and sold many instruments [mostly ukuleles] on ebay[100% rating] and ukulele underground .
$750 plus actual shipping.
ad pic front.jpgadpic side2.jpgView attachment 107225adpic side1.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom