PDA

View Full Version : Shima Ukulele anyone?

UkuleleSprinter
03-15-2018, 05:47 AM
Anyone getting the new Shima Ukulele? Designed by Jake Shimabukuro.

I wonder how it sounds.

http://www.shimaukulele.com/

kissing
03-15-2018, 06:06 AM
Wow, didn't know this was a thing. Is this a relatively new venture?
What an exciting endeavour.

Good guy Jake.
Makes own brand of ukuleles. Price accessible to most :)

EDIT: Oh I mustn't... mustn't...mustn't... UAS bug getting me bad. Thanks for this

EDIT 2: Ok ok.. I crumbled and ordered one.. on the condition I'll never need to buy another ukulele again. And don't tell the wife.
I think I need to go on the UAS-Anonymous program again

EDW
03-15-2018, 06:55 AM
It says laminated mahogany body. I assume that it means the top as well, since there is no other mention.

Rakelele
03-15-2018, 07:07 AM
What is "Reconstituted Rosewood"? :confused:

uketanzon
03-15-2018, 07:40 AM
how will you ever know if its just an Ohana or Kala with a new name on headstock.?
300 bucks for an all laminate. ? count me OUT. You can buy an allsolid wood Ohana
for that or a cordorba 30 series all solid on sale.

I was trying to sell an very nice all laminate Kala tenor exotic mahogany with pickup brand new here with case for $99.00 bucks shipped! and no one wanted it. I gave it away.

Croaky Keith
03-15-2018, 08:14 AM
Jake Shimabukuro Wideneck Soprano Ukulele With Tenor Range

Doesn't make any sense!

EDW
03-15-2018, 08:26 AM
What is "Reconstituted Rosewood"? :confused:

It comes dehydrated and they add water.

Actually my guess would be that perhaps it is in some way recycled or formed like plywood (?)

Jerryc41
03-15-2018, 08:33 AM

I wonder how it sounds.

http://www.shimaukulele.com/

Interesting. I'd like to hear the story behind this someday. Either a company approached him, or he approached a company to make a signature line. It's hardly cheap for what it offers. We'll have to wait for a test and review.

UkerDanno
03-15-2018, 09:30 AM

Not for $300 for a laminate soprano...you could get an Islander MS-4 for 1/3 that.

bsfloyd
03-15-2018, 10:54 AM
Kiwaya can make a great all laminate soprano for around $300, why not this one? If the build quality and sound is as good as the Kiwaya, I say go for it.

Hms
03-15-2018, 11:24 AM
Will he use it as his performance uke?
h

Uke Don
03-15-2018, 12:11 PM
This is just so bad in every possible way. Jake needs to stick with playing and let his brother find another job. (That was harsh). But really, a $50 uke for $300? Trying to sell them by using a charity angle? Wide Neck? How wide? With Tenor Range? What exactly does that mean? Good grief.

kissing
03-15-2018, 12:23 PM
On the contrary, laminate doesn't mean bad - and seeing how they are proud to admit it is laminate just might mean it's one of the good quality ones.

For example, people happily spend that amount of money on a Flea/Fluke or Kiwaya made of laminate. If this one is as well made and designed as described on the website - and from the photos it looks pretty pro - I'd say it's worth it.

In fact, the price is modest for something being endorsed by a celebrity like Jake. I think they genuinely wanted to bring a quality product to market that doesn't break the bank. If Jake was ambitious in a purely capitalist way, I'm sure his fame alone would have made people willing to pay a lot more for a uke that he personally approves of.

I'm just glad it's not some $5000+ custom.

And I guess it's a wide neck, long scale Soprano with about 18 frets. Not too hard to understand. Seems to be a scale a lot of us would appreciate playing.

Iulia
03-15-2018, 12:52 PM
decided didn't want to comment

70sSanO
03-15-2018, 01:12 PM
The main problem with this roll out is the lack of detailed information. Unfortunately the website is lacking information, sound samples (you know there is no lack of talent there to be able put up some excellent videos), etc. This really surprises me.

All that said, until someone actually has a chance to see and play one it is anyone's guess where this ukulele fits between a Makala and a Kiwaya. If it is similar to the latter, there will be a much different response.

Personally I don't think Jake would peddle junk to make a quick buck. Considering his livelihood and his devoted fans, it would not be a positive endeavor.

John

uketanzon
03-15-2018, 01:43 PM
why not buy an OHANA SK30L soprano with Tenor Neck all sold wood for $179.00 shipped from MIM on reverb instead of 300 bucks for a laminate.

Personally I would rather see a $2000 Jake special issue model made by Kamaka or Koaloha, similar like what Martin did for IZ.

Jim Hanks
03-15-2018, 01:47 PM
Not for $300 for a laminate soprano
That was my first thought

Kiwaya can make a great all laminate soprano for around $300, why not this one?
That was my second thought

The main problem with this roll out is the lack of detailed information....until someone actually has a chance to see and play one it is anyone's guess where this ukulele fits between a Makala and a Kiwaya.
Third thought

And I guess it's a wide neck, long scale Soprano with about 18 frets.

Actually I didn't think of that. Nowhere does it give a scale length. I agree that would make it much more appealing to me at least.

M3Ukulele
03-15-2018, 03:37 PM
More info required! Sound samples would be nice. A little more back story or specs would help.

kissing
03-15-2018, 03:53 PM
How new is the listing? Did the website literally go up when this topic was made? Have not heard of a single soul owning one yet.
I may be one of the first..

Unfortunately I have to wait for international shipping to Australia

kissing
03-15-2018, 08:43 PM
why not buy an OHANA SK30L soprano with Tenor Neck all sold wood for $179.00 shipped from MIM on reverb instead of 300 bucks for a laminate.

Personally I would rather see a $2000 Jake special issue model made by Kamaka or Koaloha, similar like what Martin did for Iz

1. Because the Shima uke has a cool Jake logo :p

2. Kamaka did do a Jake special edition in limited supply. It cost several thousands of dollars

Jerome collector
03-16-2018, 01:29 AM
How new is the listing? Did the website literally go up when this topic was made? Have not heard of a single soul owning one yet.
I may be one of the first..

What puzzles me about this ukulele is that there are no announcements on Jake's official website (https://www.jakeshimabukuro.com/home/) about it, at least not that I could find. You'd think that he'd have something along the lines of "Bruce and I are proud to introduce..." If I were a businessman, I'd certainly be promoting something like this, especially considering the charity connection, at every opportunity. Perhaps the promotions are lagging behind the release. Another curiosity about the website is a glaring spelling error: "assessable" in place of "accessible" (I was a technical editor in a former life). Makes it seem as though the website was thrown together hastily.

kissing
03-16-2018, 05:51 AM
Another curiosity about the website is a glaring spelling error: "assessable" in place of "accessible" (I was a technical editor in a former life). Makes it seem as though the website was thrown together hastily.

Good to know I'm not the only one that noticed this !

It appears the Facebook page was only created on 14th March 2018
https://www.facebook.com/shimaukulele/

So it looks like this endeavor is very new - yet to be officially announced?

UkuleleSprinter
03-16-2018, 09:11 PM
I found the link on both Jake Shimabukuro’s Facebook and Instagram.

kissing
03-19-2018, 04:10 AM
Few days after its release, the Shima ukulele (at the time of this post) is out of stock.
This isn't a huge surprise - and I guess I'm glad I got my order in :)

And the first sound samples are beginning to pop up on the internet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJrty_j-PtA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJrty_j-PtA

Sounds pretty good from what I can hear :)

Joyful Uke
05-18-2018, 06:51 AM
Has anyone tried one of these yet? Any reviews?

kissing
05-18-2018, 01:39 PM
Has anyone tried one of these yet? Any reviews?

I absolutely love mine!
My views are summarised here, including sound sample;
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?132634-Shima-Ukulele-finally-came!-(-Sound-sample-video)

Joyful Uke
05-18-2018, 02:18 PM
I absolutely love mine!
My views are summarised here, including sound sample;
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?132634-Shima-Ukulele-finally-came!-(-Sound-sample-video)

Glad to know that it's working out well for you. Thanks for the link.

Joyful Uke
05-19-2018, 03:31 AM
It's listed as a wide neck. Do you know how wide it is? Wider than 1 3/8" I assume.

Great playing in the video, & a good write up.

Joyful Uke
07-05-2018, 06:39 AM
Reupping to ask about the neck width. Is it 35 mm like a Kamaka? Or wider, since it's billed as a "wideneck"?

Pledge Music has this ukulele as one of the items available if you pledge towards Jake's upcoming CD - and pay the extra money for the ukulele, of course. But it's the same price on Pledge Music as on the Shima ukulele website.

The form to contact them on the Shima ukulele website doesn't want to work for me, (I tried on computers with 2 different operating systems, so I don't think it's my computer), so I thought I'd try asking here again.

Joyful Uke
07-05-2018, 01:41 PM
I got a response from Bruce Shimabukuro, who told me that it's 1.5 inches at the nut and 2 inches at the joint, in case anyone else is interested.

kissing
07-09-2018, 04:08 AM
I got a response from Bruce Shimabukuro, who told me that it's 1.5 inches at the nut and 2 inches at the joint, in case anyone else is interested.

I've just measured my Shima Uke - can confirm that those measurements are correct.
The wide neck makes it a pleasure to use fingerstyle and hold chords. Feels a bit classical guitar-like, but not quite as wide.

Joyful Uke
07-09-2018, 03:06 PM
Thanks, kissing. It sounds like you're really enjoying your Shima uku meek.

PereBourik
11-22-2018, 06:13 AM
Has anyone found a case that fits?

UkerDanno
11-22-2018, 07:26 AM
Has anyone found a case that fits?

It's along neck soprano, a concert case should work.

kissing
11-22-2018, 01:32 PM
It fits snugly in most soprano ukulele cases - but I guess test before you buy.
Soprano cases have enough wiggle room at the headstock area to allow the Shima to fit, which isn't that much longer than a soprano.

A potential problem with a concert case would be that the body cavity would be significantly larger than the Shima uke's body.

Cat M
11-28-2018, 09:04 PM
I saw Jake in concert last night. He told the audience that he'd promised his brother he'd play a Shima uke in the show and give it a plug, which he did. He played a couple of pieces on the Shima, unplugged. It had a lovely sweet tone and the intonation was pristine.

Jake seems like such a sincere and wholesome guy. I'd like to think he was demoing an actual production instrument and not one made especially for him. Who knows.

He said it was designed with students in mind, to offer an instrument that played like a higher-end brand for a reasonable cost, so that when the time comes for a student to progress to a finer instrument, the transition would be smooth. He emphasized the feel and playability more so than the sound but we thought the tone was lovely.

So I got the impression that it's designed to feel like a Kamaka.

kissing
11-29-2018, 12:14 AM
I saw Jake in concert last night. He told the audience that he'd promised his brother he'd play a Shima uke in the show and give it a plug, which he did. He played a couple of pieces on the Shima, unplugged. It had a lovely sweet tone and the intonation was pristine.

Jake seems like such a sincere and wholesome guy. I'd like to think he was demoing an actual production instrument and not one made especially for him. Who knows.

He said it was designed with students in mind, to offer an instrument that played like a higher-end brand for a reasonable cost, so that when the time comes for a student to progress to a finer instrument, the transition would be smooth. He emphasized the feel and playability more so than the sound but we thought the tone was lovely.

So I got the impression that it's designed to feel like a Kamaka.

As someone who owned the production model, I can assure you that the production model is more than enough for someone like him to perform with on stage. There isn't much that can be done to make it better. The factory setup is immaculate, and far better than those offered by most other makers.

It pretty much feels like it comes with a luthier's custom setup.

Cat M
01-14-2019, 07:00 PM
As someone who owned the production model, I can assure you that the production model is more than enough for someone like him to perform with on stage. There isn't much that can be done to make it better. The factory setup is immaculate, and far better than those offered by most other makers.

It pretty much feels like it comes with a luthier's custom setup.

That's good to hear!

bazmaz
01-19-2019, 09:56 AM
I, personally, think they are pretty wonderful!

Struggling to fault it and totally get the concert / tenor element of the design. Comfortable, sounds great!

https://www.gotaukulele.com/2019/01/shima-js-jake-shimabukuro-wideneck.html

Cat M
01-20-2019, 07:19 AM
Interesting. I'd like to hear the story behind this someday. Either a company approached him, or he approached a company to make a signature line.

It's his brother's venture.

Ukecaster
01-20-2019, 08:07 AM
Nice review Baz. how would you compare this Shima with the Made in China Kiwaya longneck soprano, which you recently reviewed? I think that Kiwaya is about 1/2 the price of the Shima.

EDW
01-20-2019, 09:11 AM
FWIW- They state that the strings are "a custom D’Addario Pro Arte string set". I inquired if these would be available, thinking down the road to when people may need to replace them. I was told that they are not available to the public, but that the D'addario Pro Arte soprano are fairy close.

It seems a little odd to me that they would have a custom set of strings, but that it would not be possible to replace them with the same if needed. I would think a different set would give a different sound, feel and possibly intonation.

bazmaz
01-20-2019, 11:47 PM
Nice review Baz. how would you compare this Shima with the Made in China Kiwaya longneck soprano, which you recently reviewed? I think that Kiwaya is about 1/2 the price of the Shima.

They are different classes really so hard to compare. The Shima is leagues above it in terms of build quality and finishing. That's not to say the Kiwaya is 'bad' - it's just a bit scruffier - not in things that really make a difference to play though. Sound wise I think the Shima just edges it but it is close. I think the Shima just looks better too - love the headstock.

Overall - the Kiwaya ended up getting 0.1 more in the score on my site - but that was really down to the price being so much lower.

Perhaps a better comparison would be with the more similarly priced Kiwaya KS-1 - the laminate soprano made in Japan - I'd take the Shima over that one - and I ADORE the Kiwaya.

bazmaz
01-20-2019, 11:47 PM
It's his brother's venture.

It's both - Jake and Bruce co own it

bazmaz
01-20-2019, 11:52 PM
Interesting. I'd like to hear the story behind this someday. Either a company approached him, or he approached a company to make a signature line. It's hardly cheap for what it offers. We'll have to wait for a test and review.

Jerry - I discussed this direct with Bruce and it's summarised in my review.

Basically - Bruce as well as being a player used to work for a far eastern uke company and got to know the ropes of production out there. Was dissatisfied with some of the quality and the lack of any ukes that had been designed by an actual player as opposed to just a corporate thing. So rather than being approached, he worked with Jake to set down specs that Jake wanted (he wanted to mirror the soprano neck on the feel of his Kamaka tenors) and Bruce used his contact and knowledge over there to find a factory to build them

They are then shipped to Hawaii for final QC. My review sample came to me from Hawaii not China.

man0a
10-12-2019, 10:06 AM
I've been thinking of getting a Shima ukulele. What is a good case for it? Anyone know how long the ukulele is? I already own a few soprano cases that may work. Thanks.

EDW
10-12-2019, 12:14 PM
Somewhere I think I was told that a long neck soprano case (ohana and other similar ones) would fit. There may be a few regular soprano cases with a little more "headroom" that may work.

man0a
10-12-2019, 07:02 PM
This is the first question answered on the Shima website FAQ section.

What is the actual length of the instrument so I can tell if it will fit in a case that I already own?