how to build bridge

bt93

Reaction score
hey im building my cigar box uke and have a couple questions. how do i build a bridge. (i tried taking one off of my other uke but broke it) also, do i glue the bridge in or screw it in. also,when connecting my fret board to the box, what kind of glue do i use?

ya but when i went to guitar cnter (only music store near me) they had none. i want to build a cigar box like yours

i need to have one within one day that is why i wanted to make one. any suggestions?

Attach four of these to the bottom to hold the strings
screwEye2.jpg

and use a bolt or a pencil as the bridge.

Or take a small block of wood, a sharp chisel/knife/saw and just whittle away at the top to form a groove like ||_/| where the /| part acts as the saddle. Then cut a small grove on the back of the bridge so the string knots have something to grip and saw 4 slots on the rear of the top for the strings to fit. Pretty ghetto, though not as ghetto as deach's method, but it works. Just make sure you sand the bottom of the bridge to the right height for the saddle since the saddle is built into the bridge and once you glue it on you won't be able to adjust the saddle height.
Code:
              Slots for strings   
                    \/ 
groove for knots -->||_/|<-- saddle

JT used half of a clothes pin for a saddle for his Spongebob uke. Exact-o knife cut 4 slots in it. 4 screws or like what Deach suggested screwed into the bottom of the body would hold the strings.

Top Bottom