Martin M600 Strings

Jerryc41

Reaction score
Barry Maz has mentioned the Martin M600 strings several times, and I was thinking about putting them on a Pono soprano. I bought it with a damaged back, and lots of overspray from an attempted repair. I hope to get it looking nice and shiny, and I thought I'd try different strings while I'm at it. I'm going to replace the "ear" tuners with Gotohs, too. I like tuners behind the head on sopranos.

I have them on three of my ukes and on two of them they sound amazing - to my ears of course.

Flea - M600
Martin C1K - M600

My other Uke it's very quiet now with the M600. It has a lot of lacquer finish on it and I find that type of finish keep the sound in. So with the M600 it's just too quiet for me. I may put the Aquilas back on them... maybe the Aquila Reds :).

I have them on three of my ukes and on two of them they sound amazing - to my ears of course.

Flea - M600
Martin C1K - M600

My other Uke it's very quiet now with the M600. It has a lot of lacquer finish on it and I find that type of finish keep the sound in. So with the M600 it's just too quiet for me. I may put the Aquilas back on them... maybe the Aquila Reds :).

Thanks. I think I'll get a set.

I recently purchased a tenor set (M620) and discovered a printing error on the individual packets. They are fantastic strings, but check your string gauges carefully when installing.

The M600's are very good strings and I have them on the many of my ukes. Have been also using some Living Waters strings with great results.

If you like the basic Martin fluorocarbons (there are new Martin strings on the market this year, made by Aquila), then you may very well like Living Water (as mentioned above) or Worth. I’m giving the Aquila Sugar strings a try right now, but haven’t had time to play very much as we just wrapped up our middle school musical (Aladdin Jr) on Sunday and now have two nights (3:30-8) of parent teacher conferences in a row. Thankfully next week is Spring Break, which translates to some ukulele time.

i only use m600 strings. I find my fingers glide on them and are less sticky than aquila strings. The stickiness causes a tone to ring out when lifting my fingers off the strings. Tried cleaning my hands and the strings to no avail. I have noticed no difference in tone otherwise.

If you like the basic Martin fluorocarbons (there are new Martin strings on the market this year, made by Aquila), then you may very well like Living Water (as mentioned above) or Worth. I’m giving the Aquila Sugar strings a try right now, but haven’t had time to play very much as we just wrapped up our middle school musical (Aladdin Jr) on Sunday and now have two nights (3:30-8) of parent teacher conferences in a row. Thankfully next week is Spring Break, which translates to some ukulele time.

Too many choices! : )

I use m600 on all of my sopranos except the Kamaka. Great strings! Also, check out the link to the string database in my sig footer and add your opinions.

Last edited:
I thought that they were the best on a +$2000 Martin 3K repro created my Mike DeSilve. Cheap strings but right on the money for that instrument.

Lots of great strings out there. Don't get crazy over it. Play music and change if you find something lacking

Lots of great strings out there. Don't get crazy over it. Play music and change if you find something lacking

I'll put the Martins on the Pono I'm restringing, but otherwise, I'll wait till I have to change strings. I'm not a professional ukulele player. :)

Top Bottom