Where are all the Kumu Ukes?

SA Condor

Reaction score
I know they’re laminate Koa, but they sure are pretty and they come with rather high praise from the 1 review done by Robert Tigert on YouTube. Aside from that, there’s a couple videos by Mike at Ukerepublic, but there’s not much more info out there.

Who here owns a Kumu? Anybody have anymore insight on these Ukes?

A while back I was browsing websites for a long neck soprano. The Kumu on Uke Republic caught my eye. It does indeed look very nice. At that time it was listed as available, so I emailed to ask about it. They responded back that they did not actually have one and weren’t sure if or when they would get one. I tried emailing Kumu directly and got no response.

Back on March 1st I contacted Fiddler’s Green Music Shop in TX and they had a couple of the long neck sopranos in stock. I ended up going with a Romero XS Soprano though. Hope I don’t regret it. I’m sure it’s going to be an awesome instrument, I just was really interested in having the Concert scale.

I’m still very curious about Kumu, perhaps my lovely bride would let me bring back 2 instruments from the States?!

I own a gloss Kumu concert in laminate koa, I think it is a gorgeous uke for the money. The gloss really brings the contrast between the koa, rosewood binding, and abalone inlays (sound hole, fret markers, and head stock logo) to life. Mine was finished flawlessly, and has silver sealed tuners of decent quality unlike the gold tuners that you see in the pictures on the website. I was unhappy with the Aquilas that came with it, and immediately switched it to Worth fluorocarbons after bringing it home and it plays damn good music. After several months nothing buzzes or is otherwise wrong with it. I've done much worse with $230 buying a ukulele.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I've got big beaters and the marginally wider nut was also a part of my purchase decision as it felt a bit easier for me to control.

Last edited:
Who here owns a Kumu? Anybody have anymore insight on these Ukes?

I bought one on Oahu in late May 2017. Its a tenor laminated Koa in a matte finish. I tried it against many other ones in the shop, both tenor and concert sized. It really sounded much better than the others I tried in its price range. Although I was new at that point to ukulele playing, I have played wind and string instruments for over 25 years so I consider my ear for sound to be pretty good. I have since purchased a few other ukuleles, but the Kumu is my favorite so far. There is just something about it that sounds very good and feels just right to me. I did pay $300 for it, but then again it was on Oahu. So far there have been no problems with it and it still sounds great. I will be changing the strings soon. For my first uke its great and it gives me some play time until I can afford a Kanile’a. I live in a high desert area of the mainland so the laminated Koa was great as I do not have to worry about any effects of the dry climate on it compared to a solid. I read that there can be some effects in dry areas on solid Koa. Hope this helps give ya some insight. Bottom Line: Great product at a reasonable price.

I bought one in Switzerland at christmas 2017 which was the only Kumu Uku in the music store. I loved it from the first sight. Its a beautiful glossy concert Kumu, similar as described above by benwahh.

I really love this wonderful instrument with his awesome sound!

Congratulations Agitol, and welcome to the forum from another Ukulele enthusiast in Switzerland.

Kumu seems to have a good distribution channel in Europe. Several models are available at Thomann, one of Europe's largest dealers.

Top Bottom