Strum Patterns

Like you said yourself it will never sound the same as the original. But it sure as hell isnt gonna sound close if you are doing a completey dif strum pattern.

Yeah, I s'pose... I think my qualm is not trying to sound like the original, but instead people taking the initiative to do the figuring out themselves-- And a case in where people did a song differently and it both sounds great-- look up Nine Inch Nails and Johnny Cash doing the song Hurt... they are different versions but both are effective conveyances of the song, similar but nowhere near the same....

Actually in this edit.. a better example popped into my head... Check out baby got back done first by sir mix a lot, and then check it out done by Jonathan Coulton...

Last edited:
I've said this before, there is nothing set in stone about strum patterns. That's what makes it fun, to make the song your own. IMO, far too many people try to emulate the recording artist. AFAIC, nuff said on this subject. BTW, those are great examples from cashew.

Here's a recent comment from watchmeuke about strumming . . . . how simple is dat?
. . . i get a lot of people asking me questions about my 'strum patterns' & it took me a while to figure out wtf they were talking about lol. i guess i just try to match the vibes that i feel from the original song. like if i were to tap my feet or bob my head a certain way to the beat, i just strum it like how my body moves. if that makes any sense lol.

Last edited:
I sympathize, cashew. It makes me crazy. I still haven't gotten numb to it, as many times as I see it.

I sympathize, cashew. It makes me crazy. I still haven't gotten numb to it, as many times as I see it.

Sympathise with...? What was the original point of the OP? I think the first message got edited and I missed what the issue was. :(

Top Bottom