Almost Blue - Elvis Costello cover -Kala Tenor Low G

Flatbaroque

Reaction score
Hi folks.Hope some of you like this one.It's a pretty cool song in its own right...even if it does owe a bit to My Funny Valentine.
Elvis Costello's original is beautiful..as is Chet Baker's cover.Mine...not so much haha.

I love your voice matey. Great job.
Regards, Dave

Hey I like that arrangement! Can you share the tab or chord sheet you are using?

Cheers Dave!
Hi Jim..glad you liked it.I've only got a guitar chord chart I scribbled all over.I can't scan at the moment but here is the chart I used as a starting point.

https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/elvis_costello/almost_blue_chords_1239315

I transposed from Am to Bm as it works better on the uke.A lot of it is a descending run on the G...starting from a Bm shape.Similar to My Funny Valentine or even This Masquerade.I just mucked around with trial and error to find something that sounded right for the / slash chords in the guitar chart. I probably couldn't have done it without a low G...but I'm sure others could.
Hope that was a little bit of a help.

Thanks a lot Flatbaroque. It's true that the beginning of the song looks like My funny valentine's one, i never thought about this before.
Your rendition is great, very sensible, i really enjoyed it. It's rare to listen to so sad songs played on a ukulele, it sounds nice to my ears.
By the way, i released my version of "Born to be blue", i'm gonna share it on the forum too, hope you'll enjoy it.

I transposed from Am to Bm as it works better on the uke.A lot of it is a descending run on the G...starting from a Bm shape.Similar to My Funny Valentine or even This Masquerade.I just mucked around with trial and error to find something that sounded right for the / slash chords in the guitar chart. I probably couldn't have done it without a low G...but I'm sure others could.
I see. Yes, quite tricky. I agree that bass run is critical. If you did it on reentrant I think you'd have to move that to the 3rd string, I.e. put the whole song in Em. Hmm, maybe I'll give that a go, see if it works.

Hey there,

This is deliciously creamy and languid. I've been listening to it on repeat for three days now. :) Thanks for sharing this beauty with the world.

Take care,

D

Good one Flat Baroque :) Enjoyed this
I quite like some of Elvis Costello songs , and I'm hoping to get around to learn a couple. Well done to you ..

Top Bottom