Uk Luthiers

Witters

Reaction score
Anyone had any experience of ordering a Uke from a UK Luthier? Or any Luthier anywhere?

I tried a couple of years ago in the UK and couldn’t get anywhere. I contacted the Luthier and he asked me what I wanted. I told him I wanted either a Mahogany or Koa in Soprano, nothing fancy looking.
He then suggested I go for a Concert and although I was not 100% on that idea, I did agree to it.

Then the problems really started to escalate.
First, he said he would contact me later on to get a deposit. He didn’t. So I contacted him again and he told me that he would contact very soon. He didn’t. I left it 3 months and contacted him again. I left several messages, 4 emails, and after a few weeks gave up the ghost.

One thing I left out above was that during our initial conversations, I had a feeling or sense that because I was not well known in the Ukulele world, he seemed totally uninterested to take my order. I could be wrong but it did seem that way.

Lastly, does anyone know where I could get one built in the UK?

UK luthiers

Making ukuleles, particularly sopranos, it quite a specialized job. Several guitar or banjo makers will take on a commission, but unless they have a track record of building ukes (and getting them right) then I would be very wary.

I can recommend Ken Timms. His style 'O' mahogany ukes are superbly made, very close replicas of the legendary Martin. They play beautifully and sound great. As far as I know Ken does not take commissions. He builds small batches when the mood takes him, and offers them for sale on ebay.

Ukantor.

This actually sounds like me but not the way I do business... get in touch so you can put me straight and hey, I apologise - I don't ever let them get away... unless it was one of the other two guys? I'll discount you if it is :shaka:

No it was not you Pete.

The ebay one looks eally nice....

I hate the ebay set up thing.

I have bought lots of stuff on there but hate the bidding war that goes on in an auction when you want something.
I would rather have a buy it now option on everything I'm interested in because you know just where you are then.

Top Bottom