Set up

Silvergirl

Reaction score
I have been playing for a year and can not find anyone in my area that knows how to set up a Ukulele! I took one of my ukes to a guitar place that worked on ukulele too and they told me I should first of all change the cheap strings I had on my ukulele. I had “LIVING WATER STRINGS” on it! They were very arrogant. Another luthier in my area lowered the action so low at the bridge and didn’t touch the nut. The sound was ruined. I still had high action and it sounded terrible. I have 2 ukuleles from Mim that are set up beautiful. My question is this : Is there any where I could ship an instrument I already own, that would go through it and do a good set up? I have several ukes I like and can’t play.

Also there are no lessons or clubs in my area that I can find. If anyone knows of any in the Fresno California area let me know. I would even travel a little.

Basically, a set up will check/lower the strings at the nut, & the bridge.
About 1mm at the first fret, & about 3mm at the 12th.
(They should also level the frets too, if needed.)
If they've 'ruined' your uke, get/buy a new saddle, & file it to size yourself, won't be any worse, & you'll have experience for next time. :)

I don't know if this has crossed your mind yet but why not ask Mim. Seeing as you are a customer of her's if you explian your situation maybe she will do it, for a fee of course, just a thought.

If you're handy you can do a passable set up yourself.
Google "how to set up an ukulele", and watch the videos.
You'll have an idea if you up for it, and how to approach it.
Good luck.

I have been playing for a year and can not find anyone in my area that knows how to set up a Ukulele! I took one of my ukes to a guitar place that worked on ukulele too and they told me I should first of all change the cheap strings I had on my ukulele. I had “LIVING WATER STRINGS” on it! They were very arrogant. Another luthier in my area lowered the action so low at the bridge and didn’t touch the nut. The sound was ruined. I still had high action and it sounded terrible. I have 2 ukuleles from Mim that are set up beautiful. My question is this : Is there any where I could ship an instrument I already own, that would go through it and do a good set up? I have several ukes I like and can’t play.

Also there are no lessons or clubs in my area that I can find. If anyone knows of any in the Fresno California area let me know. I would even travel a little.

I’m not an American but have been to California - interesting place once you get past the touristy stuff and just do the stuff that Americans do ....... doughnuts for breakfast was a new and pleasing experience. As I read the map Fresno is South of San Jose and San Jose is where Romero Creations are (a high end Luthier of Ukes) so there will be others (Luthiers) there too, a call or email to Romero might point you in the direction of someone capable of the simple work you are looking for. San Jose also has a Uke Club (so Google tells me), I suggest that you email them to both get a feel for Uke Clubs South of them and some suggestions for repair shops / Uke Luthiers.

I now set up all my Ukes myself. Recently I was given an inexpensive Uke which, to my ears, sounded rather poor; after working on the nut and the saddle it sounded reasonable and now that I’ve fitted new strings it’s really quite usable - it’ll be fine for the Uke Club and outdoor use, etc. A poor set-up cripples a good Uke and a good set-up enables an inexpensive Uke to sound its best.

Last edited:
Is there a ukulele club/group in your area? If so, they may know a luthier or just a uker that does set-ups.

Or buy a wicked cheap Uke (or two) and some tools and start to learn how to set up a ukulele yourself.

The “safe” thing to adjust is the saddle—that is what I did for a while, but action at the nut really impacts playability. Far too many ukuleles are set up way too high at the nut.

Question for the community: Does anyone sell a “Uke care kit” that would contain all the tools that are needed for ukulele maintenance? It might be cheaper than buying items one at a time, often sight unseen—often via eBay.

I am afraid of messing up the nut. I have watched many videos on it. I’m not worried about lowering the bridge because I can always buy a new one or put a bit of cardboard to raise it up again. And I have.

I have thought of that. But I’m pretty sure others have too. I don’t want to ask her to work on a ukulele she didn’t sell me.
Thanks though!:)

Thank you for your suggestions! I will look into possibly driving to that area for help.
I would love nothing more than to be able to work on my own ukes but I’m not there yet. I’ll have to get a beater ukulele to practice on. ;)

I haven’t been able to find an active club or experienced ukster. Looks like I’m going to have to get a uke I don’t mind ruining and practice setting it up.
The nut is what’s giving me trouble. Hopefully I can learn how to adjust it. I can’t even find any one to gives lessons. The few there are in music stores are guitar players just starting to learn them selves.
Thank you for your suggestions. :)

That ukulele care kit idea would be great. Good question! I would buy it.;)

I haven’t attempted adjusting the nut. Looks like I’ll have to learn.:/
by the way I have a flea ukulele and it’s my favorite!:))
Thanks!

Last edited:
I put some cardboard to raise the saddle back up, but the action at the nut still too high and make it difficult to play. I'll have to practice on one I don't care about messing up.
Thank :)

Actually I looked them up not so long ago and consider making a trip to that shop because I have a sister in that area. I wasn't sure if they WERE uke friendly. I have been to guitar shops that sell ukuleles, but know nothing about them. Thank you very much for that recommendation. I will check them out :) Thank you!

Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto, CA has an excellent reputation and I'm sure they can fix whatever problem you are having. You should give them a call if you don't have another option besides sending your ukes off for service. I'm sure they will be happy to discuss the issues and give you an estimate.

It's really unfortunate that you can't find someone that will do a good job. I live in the middle of nowhere, but I managed to find a guitar tech that was willing to work on my uke in spite of admitting that he was not familiar with ukes. He did a brilliant job, though, and managed to turn a dog of an instrument into an absolute joy to play. He worked on the nut (raised the action on one slot that was a bit too deep) and did a lot of work on the frets. I hope you find someone similar.

There is a list of Uke Clubs in California : http://ukuleleclubs.com/USA/CA . That list shows a club in Modesto which is some drive from you but, like your own community, is also on route 99 - maybe a simple drive for the occasional visit? It’s worth at least contacting them as they might be able to suggest people to help and / or a club more local to you. The club that I belong to has a couple of old guys who will, if approached right, work on and repair a Uke for someone - they do really good work but, of course, be aware that not everyone who offers help actually delivers quality work.

I see that one of your Ukes is a Flea, that will need no adjustment as they come correctly set up from the Magic Fluke Company. Out of interest what make and model Ukes were you needing to work on?

I can understand your reluctance to ask Mim to help you but why withhold your custom from her? The carriage costs will likely make it all too costly but why not ask the question anyway and let it be her choice? It’s possible, of course, that she might be able to suggest help and Clubs in your area - whilst she’s in Virginia she has customers virtually everywhere, I think that she’s a UU member too.

It might be worth trying something with this: https://www.fleamarketmusic.com/directory/group.asp?ID=271 . And why not watch this local Uke Group as Bill noted above: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqb5ORK6q7U

Last edited:
I have thought of that. But I’m pretty sure others have too. I don’t want to ask her to work on a ukulele she didn’t sell me.
Thanks though!:)

Asking is free! Service/work comes with a fee.

As a professional tattoo artist I have zero issues work on, fixing or covering work done and sold by others. Heck at times that is what fed me and mine at night.

Nothing wrong in asking. I bought a used ukulele which was sold originally by Mim's and honestly its the only ukulele I haven't had to tweak at all.

Good Luck

Top Bottom