Martin String Mis-Labeling

Charley

Reaction score
I ordered a few sets of Martin tenor strings from Strings & Beyond, the same brand I always use on this particular ukulele. If you look at the photo of the outer package, and the photo of the white envelopes, you'll notice the names and dimensions of the strings don't match. The A & G, and the C & E, are reversed.

Good thing it's not my first time restringing a ukulele!

IMG_4721.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0131.jpg
    IMG_0131.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 23
I noticed the same thing with some Martin M600 strings that I bought for my concert ukulele.

The Martin site shows the A string at .0228, not .0220, along with the already noted discrepancies. I wonder if they are actually Martin strings? I know that there are a lot of counterfeit strings floating around out there. Just saying.

These are Martin strings alright, no counterfeit. The phenomenon has already been discussed here (Link). To be honest, I'm somewhat consternated.

These are Martin strings alright, no counterfeit. The phenomenon has already been discussed here (Link). To be honest, I'm somewhat consternated.
How do you know that? I mean, I don't think we should just dismiss it out off hand.

Last edited:
Has anyone contacted Martin to let them know? There was another recent thread about this—but if Martin has thousands of mislabeled strings on the market, they might want to know.

I contacted them at their Customer Service email. Not sure if they'll notice, but can't hurt I guess.

Same here. Bought a brand new set of 600s at Sam Ash, and found the C and E strings were mispackaged (C string was in the E bag, and the E strings was in the C bag). I thought I was losing my mind, but I changed them one at a time, and sure enough, mislabeled.

Top Bottom