PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Made Neck/Fret Board

untheath
05-10-2009, 05:48 AM
Hey, I'm really interested in creating either a resonance uke with a cookie tin, or a banjo uke with a tambourine. However, I have absolutely no wood-working abilities, and I live in an apartment, so investing in a saw is sorta out of the question :P

Where can I buy a pre-made fret board and neck? I've been looking around, but all I can find are entire ukulele kits, which would be a waste since I only need the neck/fret.

Thanks a lot! :cheers:

Slick
05-10-2009, 06:55 AM
Just get a Grizzly Kit (http://www.grizzly.com/products/H3125).

It'll only cost you $25 and you'll use everything but the body (and maybe the bridge).

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
05-10-2009, 08:46 AM
What Slick said. Grizzley has them on sale right now for $22.00!!!!!! Use the neck for your project and turn the body into a lamp.

thejumpingflea
05-10-2009, 09:15 AM
What Slick said. Grizzley has them on sale right now for $22.00!!!!!! Use the neck for your project and turn the body into a lamp.

Or a birdhouse.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
05-10-2009, 09:37 AM
Or a drink holder!
(Jake next Sunday--Yeah!)

lefty dan
05-11-2009, 05:23 AM
I have a grizzy neck and fret board that I am not going to use. I got a grizzy kit then decided not to build it. I played with the body and broke it. The neck is new.
PM me and if you want it make an offer.
Dan

Van Diemen
05-07-2010, 12:06 AM
Howdy - I built a uke like this a while ago. Length from nut to 12th fret must equal length from 12th fret to bridge. This is not achievable if you screw a standard uke neck on an 8 inch drum. You will/would need to pack out the space between the drum and thick end of the neck with a 20mm piece of timber. Or build a longer neck, but yes, it is hard if you have poor woodworking skills/equipment (me).

I learned this one the hard way (I could tune it with open strings, but everything went to sh*t once I started to finger chords). Got put on the straight path by a similar online forum. Happy building, it is one of the greatest satisfactions finishing a great-sounding, unique instrument.

ksquine
05-07-2010, 07:55 AM
Mainland Ukes sells necks and fingerboards in soprano, concert, tenor sizes....
http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/category.sc;jsessionid=0BB5B2A23D968353FACAF473025 9480E.qscstrfrnt01?categoryId=8
I bought a concert neck from them once and it was top quality

DaveVisi
05-07-2010, 08:04 AM
Or, you can do what I did and order a cheap Uke online (I think I paid $20 for mine) and tear it apart for the neck. A household steamer and some effort with a putty knife and the body will fall apart, leaving you a prefinished, prefretted, neck and fingerboard complete with tuners.