Aquila Sugar strings with less tension: which is the final response ?

mimmo

Reaction score
Caldogno, Northen Italy (50 Km far from Venice)
Hi guys,
in a post a few dudes wrote that maybe the Sugar ukulele strings has too tension in comparation with the fluorocarbon ones

I have explained that it is not true because thay has the same gauges of the Supernylgut/new Nylgut strings. However, some guys suggested me to produce a few sets with less tension just to see what happen.
I have done the job and I have sent out all the samples to these guys.

After two weeks I received just one feedback telling me that it is far better stay on the stabndard tension.
Are there other testers that can share there what they think after their tests?
thanks
Mimmo

I just put on two sets of Sugar strings yesterday. One on a Soprano and other on a Concert. They felt just about right on my fingers. I do like their sounds a lot. I previously used exclusively fluorocarbon strings. I think the Sugar gives me more control overall and the tone has more layers. If there is a lower tension version, I am super interested. Can I try a set? When and where can I find it?

I have had these on for about a week now, and I have to say i much preferred the original version. This smaller diameter set seems to have less sustain and is a little less dynamic, compared to the original version, especially playing up the neck past the seventh fret.

In addition, the 1st (A) string seemed a little to "thin" sounding versus the more "round" original. The one thing that did improve though, was these are much less "squeaky." I don't know if that's because of the diameter and tension or something else in the manufacturing process. So overall, I find these are a bit soft, I much prefer the original version.

Strings are very subjective, so others may prefer this version more.

Thanks again for the opportunity to test them out Mimmo!

I'd love to test any low tension strings! I was going to ask you about this very thing. Thank you so much for all you do.

Teri

Hi Mimmo,

I will be doing my video review this week. I spent some time gathering some equipment to record and have it all setup. It will come soon! Thank you again for sending me a set.

For me, the hardness of the material was an issue. I often play my tenors at Bb So tension isn’t usually an issue.

I just bought three sets of sugar soprano strings after my recent experience with the low G reds made with the sugar polymer. I play soprano because of the lower tension on the strings.

I would love to try or buy a lower tension set of the sugar polymer strings in soprano please. I was looking for something lower tension for my Timms and was likely going to use reds or carbon blacks which both to my liking feel lighter than the white nylagut strings.

~AL~

Top Bottom