NUD Kimo super concert

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I received my Kimo super concert one week ago and have been spending a lot of time with it. This is the second Kimo uke I own, bought a used koa/maple tenor about 4 months ago. Both instruments have met and exceeded my expectations. Some people expect absolute perfection, I am not one of them. First priority for me is sound, then playability, then workmanship and appearance. This uke scores very high marks in all categories. The sound is as big and full and resonant as a lot of tenors, this is what I was after. This is strung low G with South Coast HML-WB

One reason I wanted this instrument was to explore a super concert with a radius fretboard. I have stated before that a radius is absolutely neccassary for me because of a left hand condition. Kimo is the only one that I know of that does a 17" super concert with a radius. Hanks workmanship is excellent and you can tell he really cares. He was great to work with, gave me many options and communicated well.

Specs:

Sinker redwood top
Walnut back and sides
17" super concert scale
14 frets to the body
Radiused macassar ebony fretboard
String through macassar ebony bridge
Rosewood binding
Side side port
Bone nut and saddle
Gotoh UPT tuners
Abalone rosette
Misi pickup with tone & volume controls in sound port

Here is a sound sample. Straight into my phone, I wish my mic was working for better audio quality.

http://app.box.com/s/7h9e5zc753t45avzs293wlekcldbfgrc

20180320_063928.jpg20180320_062921.jpg20180320_062825.jpg20180320_062549.jpg20180320_063022.jpg

Very nice Dave! I’m with you- radius makes a huge difference to me. Thanks for posting the sound sample. Notes really ring out nicely. It’s a great addition- congrats.

If looks are to go by it is stunning......Not too blingy. Just a very elegant looking instrument!
Mike

Congratulations, Dave! This one sure has all the bells and whistles, and it turned out great!

Congrats, Dave. I love the rich color of that Sinker Redwood Top. The Walnut really compliments it well. Overall a stunner.

I had a chance to play a Kimo recently, it was amazing!
Congratulations Dave. Yours is a beauty.

Looks fantastic, Dave! Congratulations on yet another fine addition! Would love to hear another sample when you get your mic sorted.

Looks fantastic, Dave! Congratulations on yet another fine addition! Would love to hear another sample when you get your mic sorted.

I had the privilege of playing this uke when Dave came over last night.
Excellent craftsmanship. Fantastic strings respond.
He supposed to use my mic to do the sound sample but too polite to remind me.
Congratulation Dave for another great addition. Thank you for always sharing your toys with me.

Glad to see Kimo getting some coverage here. I've admired his creations for a number of years now just through his web site. From the looks and reports, he's definitely up in the Ono, Barron River, etc. territory.

Great looking & sounding addition you have there, really clear tones, & just enough bling without it looking tacky.

I know I don't really need to say it, but, enjoy your new uke. :)

Absolutely gorgeous. Congratulations ! Love the fine details, like the soft edged countersink used on the string through bridge, and veneering the back of the head stock. Great sound and great looks.

@Keod, thanks Casey it is nice to find another builder who does a radius fretboard for those of us that like them

@MikeHollandGuitar, I am glad you like the looks, I feel it turned out very well

@Jerryc41, I appreciate the comment.

Top Bottom