Cocobolo Lottery

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I just saw that Cocobolo Ukuleles has a lottery when they have a few ukes finished. Interesting marketing plan. Selling on ebay would probably get them more money - like Ken Timms - but this seems like a fair way to sell the few items they have available.

It's tough when demand completely outstrips supply. Mya Moe tried a lottery for a while and I think it was regarded as a failure. But seems to be working for Cocobolo.

I have entered the lottery a few times, still waiting....
That's the downside. For the customer, you can't know when or even if you'll get an instrument. But for the builder, what's the alternative? Maintaining a long waiting list, trying to keep deadlines and production at a steady pace while everyone in the list is asking (or at least thinking) "is it done yet" ? I can definitely see their side of it as a small shop with limited resources.

I'm glad it's working for them, but it means that I'll probably never have one. I don't have a Facebook account, and it has seemed like that's the only way to get one. And even if it's not, I always seem to miss the lotteries by a week or so.

Ah well. Come on For Sale forums. :)

That's the downside. For the customer, you can't know when or even if you'll get an instrument. But for the builder, what's the alternative? Maintaining a long waiting list, trying to keep deadlines and production at a steady pace while everyone in the list is asking (or at least thinking) "is it done yet" ? I can definitely see their side of it as a small shop with limited resources.

Yes, I think they have a good system, as opposed to an endless wait.

I saw one being sold on flea music marketplace (FMM) few weeks back but the I won the lottery.. post to both (here in marketplace and FMM that you want one.. I posted for Mya Moe (it is worse cause they stopped taking orders) and I got good replies.
I really like the ukulele, the dynamic range for a super Soprano is very impressive and it play and sounds good.
I think I should do a NUD or a review.,

A friend of mine got a FB account just to enter these lotteries. She gave up after a while, and deleted her FB account. Another friend has applied on the lottery several times, and refuses to give up. Another friend won, she thought the uke was free because she saw it as a contest.
This system works very well for Cocobolo. And having the issue of demand outstripping supply is a real good problem for a company to have.
Of course, I bought mine before the lotteries began....

Top Bottom