strings for bari tuned gcea 1 octave down?

bellgamin

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I saw a youtube thing where a baritone uke was tuned an octave below linear gcea tuning. It sounded pretty good as a change-of-pace sound. I have an extra bari or 2 so I thought I would try out this octave tuning.

By the way ... I am not technically gifted but I *think* octave-low strings should be those which are high enough tension so they don't flop around. Right or wrong?

In any event, I will VERY much appreciate any string suggestions. ��

Last edited:
I saw a youtube thing where a baritone uke was tuned an octave below linear gcea tuning. It sounded pretty good as a change-of-pace sound. I have an extra bari or 2 so I thought I would try out this octave tuning.

By the way ... I am not technically gifted but I *think* octave-low strings should be those which are high enough tension so they don't flop around. Right or wrong?

In any event, I will VERY much appreciate any string suggestions. ��

Your guess about "floppy" strings is correct ... also too tight is not a good thing!

My usual procedure for this sort of thing is to use one of the on-line string tension calculators to work out what the normal string tension is, for any given tuning and string length, then using the same calculator "in reverse" to best-guess the string diameter needed for different tuning at a similar tension.

At least this way I shouldn't rip the bridge off or bend the neck!

Good luck :music:

+1 for Guadalupe strings. I don't find them floppy, but I'm not a fan of strings which feel extremely tight. You apparently feel differently.

Do you have a Pono Baritone Nui, or a Tenor Guitar? Maybe using a longer scale length ukulele would improve your perception? Or is it the other way around?

I use my octave ukulele for finger picking, not for strumming.

Last edited:
Okay, I got on YouTube & listened to 4 videos of baris at octive gcea. I learned that a bari's body doesn't resonate well to that low of a sound, especially when strummed. So I shall file that idea under "R" for RubeGoldberg and seek other weird tunings to play around with.

Thanks for your comments. They helped me back to the reality of what a bari is built to do.

A long while back there was a thread about this tuning. I tried it and really like it while playing in a group, it added a nice low end. As a solo instrument it was to muddy to my ear.

Top Bottom