Martin M600 Strings

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I put Gotoh tuners on my Pono soprano last night and then strung it with Martin M600 strings - the first time I had used them. Each string came in its own little envelopet. Unfortunately, the C and E strings were in each other's envelopes. As I attached the string from the E envelope, I thought it was a bit thick, but I continued. Then I took out the C string and realized they had been misplaced. The dimensions printed on the envelopes were right, but the strings inside weren't.

Once I got it strung and tuned, I was impressed - great sound and great sustain. I'll use these M600s again.

Installing the Gotoh tuners was a snap, but the Long tuners were barely long enough. This is the second set I have installed, Long in both cases.

M600/620 have been my happy default too.

M600/620 have been my happy default too.

These are the first sets I try on any new instruments. I install them so they can also be removed/reinstalled later since over the period of about 6 weeks I may try 4-5 different sets of strings, and may put these back on, which is often the case.

Mostly I am very happy now with either the Martin strings, or the D'Addario EJ99 fluoro, or the Worth BM/CM strings.

The D'Addario EJ99 and Worth BM/CM are the exact same gauges but have a different polish or smoothness to the surface of the strings compared both to each other, and to the Martin strings.

You can also read more about some of my string experiences and favorites by following the links on the page you will see when clicking on the FAQ link in my forum signature below.

I like some of those mentioned, as well as Living Waters. Right now I have been enjoying the new Aquila Sugar strings

I use Martin as my default or baseline. When I am not sure about how the particular uke is gonna sound, I use Martin to "test" it out, from there I can switch strings accordingly, if needed.

Agree with EDW above, Aquila Sugar is quickly becoming my new favorite.

M600s are my go-to strings on all mahogany sopranos.

Interesting that they were packaged incorrectly. That happened with their new Premium strings as well.

Makes me wonder if the whole set is swapped. It might be hard to notice if the a and g were switched.

I changed Aquila new nylgut strings in my Kala ka-cem uke to Martin M600 fluorocarbons. Reason being that the action was really low on the uke and when playing melody strongly, still some buzz, despite being summer and higher humidity. I actually bought the set for the next heating season, but could not wait.

M600 has much more sustain compared to nylguts. Less buzz. Perhaps less volume. Much easier to play solos higher up on fretboard and also to make chords there. Must be because of the thinner strings and longer sustain.

I like the feel of these much more when playing than nylguts. Also the tuning seem to stabilize faster with new strings.

I did not dare to tune these after play a semitone up as I usually do with new strings (nylon and nylgut), because of the above mentioned faulty quality control mistakes in these strings. My first fluorocarbon strings and I like :)

Makes me wonder if the whole set is swapped. It might be hard to notice if the a and g were switched.

It is yes indeed. When the strings are on, I certainly cannot tell a difference. I think getting a "thickness meter," no idea what it is called in english.

...I think getting a "thickness meter," no idea what it is called in english.

These are known as either vernier calipers, digital calipers, analog dial calipers, and also a 'micrometer'

and look something like this for the digital one:
51k%2BKL%2BE-mL._SL1025_.jpg

see https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XKTXWWF/ref=dp_prsubs_3

I have a set, and use them all the time for many things, including verifying string diameters.

Happened to be on 620 and 600... they changed the look of the packet from blue to this new color and I think the first batch had mismatched strings and envelopes.

These are known as either vernier calipers, digital calipers, analog dial calipers, and also a 'micrometer'

and look something like this for the digital one:
51k%2BKL%2BE-mL._SL1025_.jpg

see https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XKTXWWF/ref=dp_prsubs_3

I have a set, and use them all the time for many things, including verifying string diameters.

I got one of these and find the calipers to be very useful. But I have yet to master measuring technique, as I can measure multiple times and end up with multiple measurements. Sometimes I can get measurements that agree with the string package, but more often my measurements are slightly greater. Do you have any measuring tips Booli? :)

I put Gotoh tuners on my Pono soprano last night and then strung it with Martin M600 strings - the first time I had used them. Each string came in its own little envelopet. Unfortunately, the C and E strings were in each other's envelopes. As I attached the string from the E envelope, I thought it was a bit thick, but I continued. Then I took out the C string and realized they had been misplaced. The dimensions printed on the envelopes were right, but the strings inside weren't.

Once I got it strung and tuned, I was impressed - great sound and great sustain. I'll use these M600s again.

Installing the Gotoh tuners was a snap, but the Long tuners were barely long enough. This is the second set I have installed, Long in both cases.

I had an issue with Martin strings and labeling, too. I had to get out the caliper and check where to put what. This could cause no end of problems to a less-experienced user or anyone who's not paying attention. Their strings are still good, but their packaging is unreliable.

5D60AB48-82E5-4756-A630-8A11C6A71B3F.jpg

I got one of these and find the calipers to be very useful. But I have yet to master measuring technique, as I can measure multiple times and end up with multiple measurements. Sometimes I can get measurements that agree with the string package, but more often my measurements are slightly greater. Do you have any measuring tips Booli? :)

Those are the ones I have. They're kind of shite, but with a little practice I've found I can get the same measurement twice ��. One thing to watch for is I have accidentally set the zero at a previous measurement occasionally. Now that I know it's possible and happens without me knowing, I check that on each measurement.

Those are the ones I have. They're kind of shite, but with a little practice I've found I can get the same measurement twice ��. One thing to watch for is I have accidentally set the zero at a previous measurement occasionally. Now that I know it's possible and happens without me knowing, I check that on each measurement.

I keep the lock screw tightened down when not in use, and then after loosening it, if you open the pincers a but, it powers on automatically, and then when closing the pincers, I've gotten into the habit of verifying/setting the ZERO before each use.

Most of the time, I found that my measurements were smaller than listed on the string pack, likely from pressing the pincers in a little too much, and there is a careful balance of pressure needed to NOT squeeze the item you are measuring, while also getting the most accurate measure...

I usually measure thrice just to be sure, and if I am comparing against a known value, as long as it is within a +/- 0.001" or 0.001mm tolerance I call it a gooden.

If the measured vaule is LARGER than expected, I'd try again, and if so still, then maybe one is not pressing the pincers tight enough against what you are measuring, as it needs to be tightly close, but not pinching the material.

Good to hear. I currently have D'addario Titanium on my Pono MGS but was wondering about the Martin M600s. I just ordered a set of Gotoh UPTs and I'm waiting to get them in to install on my Pono. The titaniums sound great on a Pono soprano if you want to give them a try in the future.

Last edited:

I received a Loprinzi ukulele with that problem. I knew the A string was off because it wouldn't consistently ring with a clear tone when fretted. So I called Mike Dasilva to ask him for just an A string since I knew he had fluorocarbon spools in his shop. Over the phone Mike suggested that perhaps the A&G were switched. I brought it in and he measured and sure enough that was the problem. I had been to Mike's shop many times because he hosted the Berkeley Ukulele Club. He's very generous in addition to being a Master Craftsman. I got lucky to get easy advice with an easy solution. I almost sent the Uke back to Donna in Florida and that would have been a shame because it's a beautiful ukulele and plays wonderfully. String screw-up can really screw you up. But apparently switching strings is a common enough mistake that Mike was able to diagnos that over the phone. Befriend your local luthier :) and support the wonderful craftspeople who make instruments with love.

I had an issue with Martin strings and labeling, too. I had to get out the caliper and check where to put what. This could cause no end of problems to a less-experienced user or anyone who's not paying attention. Their strings are still good, but their packaging is unreliable.

View attachment 109394

That's strange. I haven't noticed that with other brands. I guess five-year-olds can't read. They'll have to open a school for their packers. :)

Top Bottom