PDA

View Full Version : NUD: Fred Shields' PINEAPPLE - All CHERRY

SoloRule
03-30-2018, 05:24 AM
I posted on UU marketplace looking for a pineapple. I received many responses but none fits my need so I finally asked Mr Shields to build me one. This is my first soprano ukulele. 1 1/2" nut width , 14 fret to the body but stay in the soprano scale length.

Soprano ukes are very tight space so I was skeptical about it but thought what the heck let's do it. I was surprise at how easy it is to fret and finger picks because of the wide neck.

Mr Shields found me a beautiful piece of Cherry and decided to use it for top , side and back . The neck is mahogany. I waited 2 months, it finally arrived last week. (quite a short wait comparing to other custom built)

Mr Shields engraved my name (I supplied the design) on the fret board so that I can never sell it unless I become famous one day. ;) Look like I am finally ready for a life long commitment ! :o Mr Shields craftsmanship is impeccable as usual. This is my forth FS uke. One UU member bought my third one and ordered two more FS ukes after that. (yes Kathryn show yourself). She also has the twin of this pineapple and a big brother tenor !

The wood grain on this uke is very pretty and unique. Very light built. It's pretty much weightless. Here are some photos and a quick little tune to showcase it's voice. I have changed the strings to Aquila Red after I made this video though!

https://youtu.be/yQNmCH3mgns

Osprey
03-30-2018, 05:43 AM
Brenda, That’s a beauty. I really like that cherry wood. Great sound. You should be proud. Your own signature model as well. Congratulations!

Cliff

kvehe
03-30-2018, 05:47 AM
As long as my name has entered the public sphere, let me add that I also have a Fred Shields walnut/maple concert backpacker; it was my first FS. Fred's instruments are terrific.

Back to the topic at hand: lovely addition, Brenda! :D

SoloRule
03-30-2018, 05:51 AM
As long as my name has entered the public sphere, let me add that I also have a Fred Shields walnut/maple concert backpacker; it was my first FS. Fred's instruments are terrific.

Back to the topic at hand: lovely addition, Brenda! :D

Kathryn I don't think too many people have seen a backpack uke. Do you mind sharing photos here? Thanks

kvehe
03-30-2018, 05:55 AM
Sure; will do this evening (LOL, after I figure out how to do it - it's been a while). Thanks for asking.

Lapyang
03-30-2018, 06:44 AM
Great looking and sounding uke. Congratulations.

My Pocket(Backpacker) uke from Mr. Fred Shields should be coming soon.

Rakelele
03-30-2018, 07:47 AM
Congratulations, Brenda, this one looks so uniquely cool, and great playing!

DownUpDave
03-30-2018, 08:14 AM
I had the great pleasure of playing this uke and it is really lovely. The curly cherry is some of the nicest I have seen. Cheery can be kinda dull and lifeless this has a great warm golden glow with fantastic grain. Too bad Brenda put her name on it or I might have stole it when she wasn't looking.

Hey Rainer I think this would be the perfect uke for Brenda to put in her suitcase and bring to Switzerland to show you!!!!

Jerryc41
03-30-2018, 08:23 AM
Beautiful - sight and sound! Does Fred built to custom order only? How could someone contact him?

Ukecaster
03-30-2018, 09:03 AM
Cograts..nice uke! To my ear, cherry sounds about halfway between a mahogany and a spruce top.

Ukulele Eddie
03-30-2018, 10:21 AM
Congrats! Sounds wonderful!

joekulele
03-30-2018, 11:54 AM
That was quite lovely. And so is your new Pineapple ukulele.

OhioBelle
03-30-2018, 02:11 PM
So beautiful, Brenda! Congratulations!

Now I might want a Fred Shields, too...

SoloRule
03-30-2018, 02:45 PM
Thank you guys for all the kind comments. This is what I like NUD the most. Lots of enablers. ;)

Fred Shields is from La Mesa California (near San Diego).
His number is 619-464-8599

I sent so many people to him in the last two weeks. I hope I don't work him to death. He is a custom builder without the custom builder price tag.

Feel free to mention Brenda from Canada ! I may be seeing him again this year . I was well behaved so I received another invitation to San Diego either in July or November.

One more note ; I just spent an hour with the 'pineapple'. I am very surprised that my fingers do not feel tight and squeezed . The 1 1/2" width really help! This totally changed my opinion of anything shorter than Tenor scale is not meant for finger style. The down side is after playing this uke, I have trouble fretting the tenor neck. :confused:

RafterGirl
03-30-2018, 03:06 PM
Beautiful new baby! My only soprano is a 1.5 inch nut Islander. It does help. Add me to the list of folks who are interested in the backpacker ukes.

kmehrzad
03-30-2018, 03:39 PM
Loving the sound, Brenda. Your cherry pineapple is lovely ... and making me hungry for ice cream.

Can't wait till my FS uke arrives.

RafterGirl
03-30-2018, 07:06 PM
What's the song you are playing in the video and do you have tabs for it? I've heard it before but can't remember the name.

SoloRule
03-31-2018, 03:49 AM
What's the song you are playing in the video and do you have tabs for it? I've heard it before but can't remember the name.

It’s a song that Corey Fujimoto introduced me to it.
It’s in Japanese language so I don’t know the name.
A very popular melody among Uke players in Japan. The popularity is similar to those Disney movie theme song in North America. Perhaps you can start a thread asking for the name?

RafterGirl
03-31-2018, 04:13 AM
It’s a song that Corey Fujimoto introduced me to it.
It’s in Japanese language so I don’t know the name.
A very popular melody among Uke players in Japan. The popularity is similar to those Disney movie theme song in North America. Perhaps you can start a thread asking for the name?
Ah yes.....that's where I heard it. He plays it on a video with an Islander tenor that I used to own I think? Do you have the tabs/chord melody that you are playing in the video?

M3Ukulele
03-31-2018, 04:46 AM
Very nice looking and sounding ukulele. Looks bigger than soprano. I really like the headstock and the UPT tines. Great wood grain. I will have to look ,ore closely at Fred’s site. Congrats.

M3Ukulele
03-31-2018, 04:51 AM
Brenda, forgot to ask above .......what is nut and saddle material. Black tusq or ebony. Really nice sound. Do you always play with a thumb pick.

Doc_J
03-31-2018, 05:59 AM
Sweet sounding Cherry Pineapple uke Brenda. Well done. I guess it had to be a sweet uke since it's a "Cherry Pineapple" :).

Fred Shield definitely builds a nice uke. Congrats!

Spicysteve
03-31-2018, 06:17 AM
Wonderful sounding and looking Ukulele.Really like the sound of the Cherry. What A jewel. Congratulations Brenda.

Rakelele
03-31-2018, 10:55 PM
Hey Rainer I think this would be the perfect uke for Brenda to put in her suitcase and bring to Switzerland to show you!!!!

Great idea, Dave! Now you only have to convince here to bring this one - or the Farallon she got from you... ;)

SoloRule
04-01-2018, 11:53 AM
Brenda, forgot to ask above .......what is nut and saddle material. Black tusq or ebony. Really nice sound. Do you always play with a thumb pick.

I use thumb pick when my thumb nail is not at the right length. It is also depending on my mood at the time too.
The nut and saddle are made from black acrylic. The bridge and finger board are Jarrah.
Mr Shields do not have a website. He is 80 years old. If you are interested , here are some of his typical style. This facebook page is inactive. He lost his password but you can still see his work. His phone number is posted in the earlier thread here.

https://www.facebook.com/Fred-Shields-Ukuleles-180995551945357/

Great idea, Dave! Now you only have to convince here to bring this one - or the Farallon she got from you... ;)

Rainer, here is what the master of the house say - "brings only what you can carry on your own." Looks like Risa Stick it is! We will be taking the train(s) after the Rhine River cruise so it is a challenge to have too many things to drag along unless Dave offers to come too. See you in a few weeks! Looking forward to it. Have you received your new guitarlele yet?

Thank you Doc J, SpicySteve for your kind words. I brought the uke to a friend last night, she was surprise how easy it is to play . She swore it feels like a concert scale.
It actually sounds pretty good listening from across the table. The Aquila red really brings out the clarity.

DownUpDave
04-01-2018, 02:14 PM
Brenda the Fred Shields is a soprano........stick it in your purse for crying out loud. Don't let her off so lightly Rainer.

Every guy reading your comment knows who the boss in your household really is.......same as ours, not us.

SoloRule
04-02-2018, 10:18 AM
Brenda the Fred Shields is a soprano........stick it in your purse for crying out loud. Don't let her off so lightly Rainer.

Every guy reading your comment knows who the boss in your household really is.......same as ours, not us.

Rainer said he wants to "touch' the Risa Stick ......His wish is my commend. ;)

Nickie
04-02-2018, 12:07 PM
Congrats Brenda!
I really like the headstock shape.

Rakelele
04-03-2018, 12:12 AM
Rainer said he wants to "touch' the Risa Stick ......His wish is my commend. ;)

Originally, I think it was more like I wanted to get to touch your Kinnard Kiku, LOL! But the Risa Stick is fine, too. :rolleyes:
Seriously, I'm happy we get to meet in person, no matter what uke you bring along.

Again, congratulations to your new FS Soprano, and to your successful kidnapping of Dave's Farallon. Two great acquisitions in such a short time!

Ukecaster
04-03-2018, 02:42 AM
I love this pic of one of Fred's ukes

SoloRule
04-03-2018, 02:57 AM
I love this pic of one of Fred's ukes

He still build that style. I saw it at his workshop. As per the local music shop , Fred's signature style is 'boat paddle' which is similar to the magic fluke except Fred started building years before Fluke was born.
I own Fred's personal pocket size uke, that thing is the length of a letter size paper. It is so cute and full of volume.

SA Condor
04-05-2018, 05:48 AM
I own Fred's personal pocket size uke, that thing is the length of a letter size paper. It is so cute and full of volume.

Pics please! And perhaps at least one pic with a piece of paper for reference :D

SoloRule
04-05-2018, 03:42 PM
Pics please! And perhaps at least one pic with a piece of paper for reference :D

It’s the little one .

ukeinfused
09-20-2018, 09:30 AM
I'm late to the table, but gotta say: what a beautiful uke and beautiful playing.
And cherry has a special quality: it will get darker and richer with time, especially if it is exposed to some sunlight...
A pineapple is on "the list", with others. :)

Jerryc41
09-22-2018, 12:07 AM
You have a beautiful instrument there.

DownUpDave
09-22-2018, 02:07 AM
Because I wanted to be just like Brenda I ordered Fred Shields pineapple. Mine is all walnut, it is a super soprano so it has a 15" scale length concert neck, with radius fretboard. I have had it 4 or 5 months and I enjoy it strung low G, the pineapple body is large for a soprano and resonant. I like walnut but Brendas cherry is an exceptionally beautiful piece of wood. I secretly have cherry envy. I took mine on a 7 day cycling trip which I am just finishing. It held up very well. Some pictures below, it is in a quality gigbag then inside the blue canoe sealbag strapped to the top of the rear rack. I enjoyed playing it every morning and evening between long cycling days

Lapyang
09-22-2018, 03:31 AM
Because I wanted to be just like Brenda I ordered Fred Shields pineapple. Mine is all walnut, it is a super soprano so it has a 15" scale length concert neck, with radius fretboard. I have had it 4 or 5 months and I enjoy it strung low G, the pineapple body is large for a soprano and resonant. I like walnut but Brendas cherry is an exceptionally beautiful piece of wood. I secretly have cherry envy. I took mine on a 7 day cycling trip which I am just finishing. It held up very well. Some pictures below, it is in a quality gigbag then inside the blue canoe sealbag strapped to the top of the rear rack. I enjoyed playing it every morning and evening between long cycling days

Dave, 7 DAYS cycling trip!!?? It takes buns of steel to sit on a small seat for 7 DAYS!!!! Hat off to you. By the way, your walnut pineapple FS ukulele is beautiful ;)

kmehrzad
09-22-2018, 03:48 AM

Living the dream, Dave. Biking and Ukeing are the best of both worlds.

DownUpDave
09-22-2018, 04:18 AM
Dave, 7 DAYS cycling trip!!?? It takes buns of steel to sit on a small seat for 7 DAYS!!!! Hat off to you. By the way, your walnut pineapple FS ukulele is beautiful ;)

Thanks Joseph, but my buns feel more like raw hamburger than steel right now:uhoh:

good_uke_boy
09-22-2018, 05:01 AM
Thanks Joseph, but my buns feel more like raw hamburger than steel right now:uhoh:

Let's see. Which is better? Buns of steel, or hamburger buns. Can't decide.

Congrats on the uke and the ride!

SoloRule
09-22-2018, 06:05 AM
Dave and his FS uke along the lake front. 100km a day ! That’s pretty impressive!
Hat off to you young David and your bum LOL

MikeHollandGuitar
09-22-2018, 07:49 AM

That sounds like brilliant fun as well as being extremely arduous! I assume you must have trained for the week long tour. Did you think about having one of these plastic outdoor Ukuleles that seem to be the vogue.......! I can't imagine them sounding as good as your Fred Sheilds........but horses for courses!
Mike

Astein2006
09-22-2018, 05:10 PM
Does Mr. Shields have a website or a way of contacting him?I saw a FB page but the posts look quite old on there. Cheers.

SoloRule
09-22-2018, 05:40 PM
Does Mr. Shields have a website or a way of contacting him?I saw a FB page but the posts look quite old on there. Cheers.

*(619) 464-8599‬
fsukes4u@gmail.com

DownUpDave
09-23-2018, 12:05 AM
Living the dream, Dave. Biking and Ukeing are the best of both worlds.

Sounds like you are a cyclist. It certainly is fun combining the two.

DownUpDave
09-23-2018, 12:06 AM

Congrats on the uke and the ride!

Hamburger buns........:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Well played Kevin

DownUpDave
09-23-2018, 12:19 AM
That sounds like brilliant fun as well as being extremely arduous! I assume you must have trained for the week long tour. Did you think about having one of these plastic outdoor Ukuleles that seem to be the vogue.......! I can't imagine them sounding as good as your Fred Sheilds........but horses for courses!
Mike

Hi Mike, yes I rode at least 4 times a week all this summer. You bring up a good point about synthetic material outdoor ukes. I own a few Enya XI ukes which are HPL , basically counter top material, they dont sound too bad. But they dont sound good enough to be stuck with for 7 days. When I travel or go car camping I bring one of my good tenors and never had an issue.

You are a long time guitarist so you can appreciate the days of nothing but wood instruments. My brother in law hitch hiked around the USA for over 5 years in the 70s with a Martin D28. Wood instruments have been traveling outdoors for centuries. Life is too short to play a crappy sounding instrument for a full week

MikeHollandGuitar
09-23-2018, 04:15 AM
Hi Mike, yes I rode at least 4 times a week all this summer. You bring up a good point about synthetic material outdoor ukes. I own a few Enya XI ukes which are HPL , basically counter top material, they dont sound too bad. But they dont sound good enough to be stuck with for 7 days. When I travel or go car camping I bring one of my good tenors and never had an issue.

You are along time guitarist so you can appreciate the days of nothing but wood instruments. My brother in law hitch hiked around the USA for over 5 years in the 70s with a Martin D28. Wood instruments have been traveling outdoors for centries. Life is too short to play a crappy sounding instrument for a full week

Hi Dave, You are so right. The worst guitars ever in my opinion was Ovations.........................I just hated them, yet everybody played them in the 70s. They were just a moulded plastic back. Terrible acoustic sound!

SoloRule
09-23-2018, 12:28 PM
Hi Dave, You are so right. The worst guitars ever in my opinion was Ovations.........................I just hated them, yet everybody played them in the 70s. They were just a moulded plastic back. Terrible acoustic sound!

I looked up to boy owns a ovation. Ha ha.

DownUpDave
09-23-2018, 12:40 PM
I looked up to boy owns a ovation. Ha ha.

I think it was the boy more than the guitar Brenda :o

TobyDog
09-23-2018, 02:14 PM

That's easy - CINNAMON BUNS ARE BEST!

SoloRule
09-23-2018, 04:07 PM
Maybe in a new thread, can we get some details of the taking the ukulele on the bike ride. How it was packed, case arrangement, any special care activities. Not only for me and my adventures, but also for those who have some fears about taking "nice" uke out of the house.

That’s a great idea !

TobyDog
09-24-2018, 01:13 PM
Thank you Brenda for telling us about Fred.
I just got off the phone with him. (Told him I learned of him from you.)
I ordered a concert sized backpack ukulele. It'll be alder and mahogany. 3-4 weeks, yippee!!

SoloRule
09-24-2018, 03:39 PM
Thank you Brenda for telling us about Fred.
I just got off the phone with him. (Told him I learned of him from you.)
I ordered a concert sized backpack ukulele. It'll be alder and mahogany. 3-4 weeks, yippee!!

Fred make awesome backpack uke. His craftsmanship is impeccable! I look forward to reading your NUD

TobyDog
09-24-2018, 04:00 PM
Fred suggested they alder and mahogany. I've never heard of an uke made with alder, but I said whatever he wants, he knows more than me. Is alder ok? Or should I call back and ask for a different wood?

thanks for any help.

SoloRule
09-25-2018, 12:07 AM
He often use alder on side and back especially for backpack uke
I would ask for all mahagony though

TobyDog
09-25-2018, 02:24 AM
Thanks for help Brenda!
Beth (aka Tobydog)

DownUpDave
09-25-2018, 02:33 AM
Fred suggested they alder and mahogany. I've never heard of an uke made with alder, but I said whatever he wants, he knows more than me. Is alder ok? Or should I call back and ask for a different wood?

thanks for any help.

Alder is a local wood native to California. It is a hardwood and used in cabinetry. But as Brenda says..and I hate to agree with her :biglaugh:....all mahogany is a safe bet and always a good choice

TobyDog
09-25-2018, 02:51 AM
Thanks Dave. Two votes for mahogany - I'll call him today and upgrade;). I love the look of the backpack, really looking forward to playing it.

SoloRule
09-26-2018, 02:33 AM
Thanks Dave. Two votes for mahogany - I'll call him today and upgrade;). I love the look of the backpack, really looking forward to playing it.

Hope you will do a review.