Carbon fiber bracing?

People are already doing it

Just as there are plastic and carbon fiber instruments that sound and play quite well, it is only a matter of time. Will it sound like wood? Likely not, but that is ok. Heck, some wood instruments don't sound so good.

Both above are right. I was thinking of operations like K brands where the uku’s would still be made out of wood but carbon fiber braces could save on time thus money while benefiting the product without changing its basic nature.

As far as the end-user making the entire instrument with 3-D printing I would think that at some point you would be able to buy or just download specs that you program in.

If specs were made available on existing currently made ukes that might make for interesting lawsuits although some other product would likely test the waters first but what about Martins where many luthiers currently make copies?

There has been some use of carbon fiber as a bridge plate. And obviously plenty as a neck stiffener. Braces would be an interesting experiment.

There has been some use of carbon fiber as a bridge plate. And obviously plenty as a neck stiffener. Braces would be an interesting experiment.

I'm pretty sure Blackbird uses carbon fibre for the internal braces and bridge patch. Body is ekoa.

I'm not an expert in carbon fiber, but I don't think you can 3D print carbon fiber. But the carbon fiber bracing idea might be a good...:confused:

Top Bottom