PDA

View Full Version : String/tune Risa solid concert uke to baritone?

seejaneplay
03-31-2018, 10:11 AM
I am in the midst of deciding whether to buy the Risa solid tenor or concert Uke. I like the concert more for its size and the tenor more for versatility (I thought) because I read that I could change out the strings/tune as a baritone.

But I saw a message on here in another thread that makes me think that I could do the same with the concert size- just string/tune as a baritone. Is that true? If yes, Iíll buy the concert and have the best of both worlds.

Thanks in advance for letting me know your thoughts!

(Also posed this question here but itís an old thread and I wasnít sure that my question would be noticed: <http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?89718-Tuning-a-solid-body-electric-tenor-DGBE-with-baritone-strings>)

Croaky Keith
03-31-2018, 11:13 AM
I did it on a concert scale to see if it worked, I was only strumming in first position, but once up the neck it was way off! :stop:

I have both concert, (bought first), & tenor RISA solids/sticks - I'd just get the tenor - but be aware, RISA advise against using wound strings on them because of the plastic bridge material.

(Not sure how well bari tuning on it will be, but I have a standard tenor tuned DGBE & that's OK.)

seejaneplay
03-31-2018, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the info, Croaky Keith. That helps a lot!

Jim Hanks
03-31-2018, 06:55 PM
You'll have the easier time getting to reentrant baritone, dGBE, on the tenor, and yes, wound strings are a no-no.

seejaneplay
03-31-2018, 10:03 PM
Thanks, Jim. I appreciate your comments!