An all unwound guilele tuning

Jim Hanks

Reaction score
Lots of options, Bill. I got the 133C set to try on the Rogue baritone before I got the guilele and the low G2 worked good there for octave uke GCEA.

The Mini comes with A tuning and basses were similar in gauge to the 133C. I thought the unwound G3/C4 were about the same gauges as the wound G2/C3. No problems with nut slots. I would be concerned about that trying to go to unwound E3 setup with low D unwound strings like Worth or Living Water- not sure those would fit.

As far as the "Terz Guitar" idea, I'm way ahead of you. :D More on that soon(ish)

Thanks for posting this Jim.
My wife recently picked up a used Yamaha guitalele from CL at a good price.
It sounds good, (And looks great.) but I hate the chording of the standard a to a tuning.

These strings would work for "A EFS" on the Yamaha: A3 D4 G4 C4 E4 A4
If you wanted G tuning, I'd recommend slightly bigger gauges for 17" scale: MU-NW for the top 4 and LML-NW for the bottom 2

Jim, this sounds great!

I am glad to see that you've made good progress on all of this, as I know you were trying to work this out for a while.

Your Mini sounds really nice with this string setup and tuning.

Seeing this video as a result of your research makes me very happy. :)

Thanks for sharing! :music:

Thanks Booli. I think this is a great option. I handed it to my daughter and she liked it, said something like "hey, it plays like a guitar but sounds like a uke." She didn't even realize it was reentrant until I told her to finger a chord and then play one string at a time. :D (* insert "mind blown" meme here *) :D

I still want to try a normal Terz tuning as well. I ordered in the T-I CF127 strings for it but want to keep the Mini as-is for now. But I have something else in mind - more on that in another week or so. :cheers:

Thanks Booli. I think this is a great option. I handed it to my daughter and she liked it, said something like "hey, it plays like a guitar but sounds like a uke." She didn't even realize it was reentrant until I told her to finger a chord and then play one string at a time. :D (* insert "mind blown" meme here *) :D

I still want to try a normal Terz tuning as well. I ordered in the T-I CF127 strings for it but want to keep the Mini as-is for now. But I have something else in mind - more on that in another week or so. :cheers:

Sure thing!

Does your daughter play too? If so, I would love to see you both in a duet.

Are you teaching her to play? :)

These strings would work for "A EFS" on the Yamaha: A3 D4 G4 C4 E4 A4
If you wanted G tuning, I'd recommend slightly bigger gauges for 17" scale: MU-NW for the top 4 and LML-NW for the bottom 2
I'll try those for sure, thanks.
Where do you find chord charts for unusual intruments/tunings?

Where do you find chord charts for unusual intruments/tunings?

personally, I don't. I think of all my ukes as if they were in C tuning. If I need to play with another instrument, I'll transpose the written chord sheet so I'm not trying to remember a dozen different names for the same chord shape.

For the guilele, I'm still trying to decide whether I'm going to think of it as a "small guitar" (pretend it is always in E-to-e tuning) or a "big uke" (pretend it's always in A-to-a tuning). Kinda leaning towards "big uke".

Note that I've so far avoided "non transposed" tunings, no slack key, DADGAD, etc. for me. If I wanted to try though, I'd dial them up in the GuitarToolkit app on the iPad.

Ha! She plays circles around me. I wouldn't want to embarrass her trying to play a duet. :p

What if she plays uke, and you play your NAF?

One of the songs you wrote? That might be something really special.

I tried C tuning on one of my guitars and loved it for a week or so until it hurt my brain too much to remember where the notes are. But is has an amazing sound. I tried the same tuning (relative) on my six string DVI, it would be a form of open F tuning, and there is something about the open C note and how it sounds which is not happening for me in the open F notes on the shorter scale length. So I don't bother with the popular guitar open tunings on the DVI anymore.
Just using the C guitar tuning as an example, and having no concrete proof I am right, it seems that a player has wanted to get a low C and more of an open C sound on a guitar, so they have looked at the notes on each string and just moved it one or two steps to make a C chord without changing tension radically and needing different strings. In some ear tuning methods I have read, the first step involves getting the guitar to EADGBE tuning, and then there is a second step to move to the open tuning. So effectively, when the guitarist tuned by ear he or she did not just go straight to the open tuning, they first set up standard tuning and then used the standard tuning as a reference to work from by ear.
On a short scale ADGCEA instrument you could apply the same concept. Say for an open C chord, lower the A to G, raise the D to E, keep the G and C and E, lower the A to G, to get GEGCEG tuning. Open C tuning on a guitar is CGCGCE, if you move that to fret five on a guitar you get a open F tuning not an open C tuning, you also get different intervals between the strings. So with your guitarlele, instead of just transposing the guitar tunings, look at the ADGCEA set up and work out how to make an open chord without having to adjust the strings a lot. So in addition to the C tuning proposed, maybe a D tuning could be ADF#DF#A. Both of these tunings proposed, but not tried yet by me, have the fifth note as the low note, so that is going to give a different sound to the D tuning and C tuning on a guitar where the root note is the low note. Maybe an open A tuning could be a thing to try with AEAC#EA or AC#AC#EA. An open G could be GDGBDG. I have no idea if this is reinventing a wheel, but if you are looking at open tunings on your ADGCEA instrument, you don't need to blindly follow the EADGBE open tunings made popular by guitarists. Once you work out a tuning, make a fretboard map and you will find the scales and the chord shapes which fit on the map.

Since getting quite familiar with tuning in fifths on ukulele and tenor guitar -- both CGDA and GDAE...

I'd thought about tuning a normal classical guitar all in 5ths, something like

FCGDAE, but those lower F and C strings will by mighty thick, and I'd have to either widen the nut slots, buy a new nut blank or make a nut from whatever I have laying around...

Why do fifths tuning on 6 strings?

The note range!!!

By doing so, I'd have access to almost an extra octave down from a normal E-to-e guitar tuning. I've already played with CGDAE on my classical guitar using the normal classical strings and I really love the sound.

I've already written a half-dozen songs in fifths tunings for uke and tenor guitar since learning how to tune, use and play in fifths tunings.

I really enjoy fifths tuning on everything else so far, and it's also training my brain for when I start again with violin (my first instrument when I was like 6 yrs old) on the MFC Cricket fiddle that sits unplayed as of yet. I was offered lessons by a great teacher (or so I'm told) that I am going to see about starting soon. :)

Once you work out a tuning, make a fretboard map and you will find the scales and the chord shapes which fit on the map.
When I said my ukes are in C, I meant that I pretend they are GCEA even if they not. 0003 is always a "C major" chord to me. I don't want to try to learn a different fretboard map. The most I could see doing is dropping the sixth a step on guilele or dropping the first a step on uke, but I'm kinda scared to start for fear I'd go off the deep end and searching for other nearby tuning as you suggest. :p

What if she plays uke, and you play your NAF?.
That would be cool. Maybe this summer. :eek:

Top Bottom