Fluke fingerboard suggestion, Should I get the rosewood or stay with plastic.

ps6000

Reaction score
I am going to pull the trigger and get myself a tenor Fluke. My only question now is with the fingerboard. Should I get the plastic or the rosewood? Any suggestions are appreciated!

One of the reasons I like the idea of the Fluke(and flea) is the durability. Is the instrument less durable with rosewood? I don't intend to play low G if that makes a difference. How much does it affect the tone? I have been looking for audio samples that show the difference.

Thanks!

I am going to pull the trigger and get myself a tenor Fluke. My only question now is with the fingerboard. Should I get the plastic or the rosewood? Any suggestions are appreciated!

One of the reasons I like the idea of the Fluke(and flea) is the durability. Is the instrument less durable with rosewood? I don't intend to play low G if that makes a difference. How much does it affect the tone? I have been looking for audio samples that show the difference.

Thanks!
I once owned a Tenor and Concert Fluke and Soprano Flea that all came with the plastic fretboard. I sent them all to Flea Market for the rosewood upgrade. I do play using the low G, but I'd still have done it anyway. The rosewood feels better on my fingers. However, I can't say that I've noticed a tonal difference.

When I bought my concert Flea a year ago , for purely monetary reasons, I went with the plastic. I loved it, played great.

The about a year later i decided to try bending a string.. and heard a "click"

Yep, there was a groove in the fret, shallow, but a groove.

FMM offers free replacement, but I went with the rosewood upgrade. It's awesome. Plays great, nicely finished and looks better.

So, if it's not a money issue, go with the rosewood. if not, the plastic is great too. Maybe I got a bad one, maybe I just rock that hard when I play, I still used it with the notches for two months with no problems.

Both fretboards play beautifully and the intonation was/is spot on with both.

As for tonal difference, I changed strings when I changed the fretboard, so my vids won't help there, but the fretboard should have little or no effect on the tone, as it doesn't vibrate at all. it;s teh strings and sound board and body that effect the tone/sustain of the instrument.

hope I helped some.

JT

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick answers. Ready for more questions?

So after purchasing a fluke you can have fmm put a rosewood fingerboard on? Or can you "bolt" it on yourself? How much is the upgrayedd?

FMM does the upgrade; I think it's $75. I have the rosewood fretboard on my Flea, but would've been happy with plastic too. The frets are hard to see on the plastic, though, and there aren't enough fret markers. Either option is good; Flukes rock.

It's 85 dollars for the upgrade. You ship it to them, they do the work and they pay return shipping.

So basically 10 dollars more than if you ordered it with the Rosewood in the first place.

It's quick too.

JT

Everyone, Thanks for the suggestions! I am going to try and find one with rosewood... and a pickup. Looks like if I go with plastic I won't be punching myself though.

You've opened a new can of worms with the pickup. If you get them installed buy Flea Market when they're built, I was told by the their quality control guy/ repair guy that they can build the pickup in before they install the bridge. With piezos this gives the best sound, since they work best under pressure.

Once the bridge is in, you can't remove it. I installed very nice Barcus Berry Insider under the strings just in front of the bridge in my Flea. But it's still not as full sounding as when the factory builds them in.

I'm happy with the plastic... I'm going to get some automotive touch-up paint when I get around to it and paint the frets silver, and then I'll be 100% happy.

I do feel just a little jealous when I see the rosewood fretboard... but it doesn't matter that much to me. If you don't intend to play low g, it's purely aesthetics, I think.

I've had two Flukes with the plastic fretboard and they're fine. But it does limit you to unwound strings. On the other hand, plastic isn't susceptible to humidity and environmental issues. It's a toss-up, I suppose.

I'd like one of each. The plastic I plan to keep and take with me when I travel because it's more durable. The rosewood I will likely (when I get it) play more at home and string it with wound Aquilas.

in my case i wanted as much of the uke to be plastic as could be. i might be wrong in this. but the less wood.. to me.. meant less humidity problems.. if you notice in my uke names i call this one hard times.. i take my flea in the car, to the bars, around the town.. it has already been dropped a few times.. bumped.. i got it for this reason. i leave the koaloha in the case and at home most days.. the flea is durable and sounds great for the price.. i plan on taking it to the beach this summer.. and if it gets sand in it.. well thats cool! i got mine used 130.. i am sure upgrades are nice..

If you don't intend to play low g, it's purely aesthetics, I think.
Low G shouldn't play into the picture, since you can get an unwound low G (Worth, for example).

You've opened a new can of worms with the pickup. If you get them installed buy Flea Market when they're built, I was told by the their quality control guy/ repair guy that they can build the pickup in before they install the bridge. With piezos this gives the best sound, since they work best under pressure.

Once the bridge is in, you can't remove it. I installed very nice Barcus Berry Insider under the strings just in front of the bridge in my Flea. But it's still not as full sounding as when the factory builds them in.

I've compare plastic and rosewood fretboards on the flea and can't discern a difference. But the rosewood is much prettier. I ordered my flea with a pick-up and it sounds great. That's all I can add to this discussion. And, since I believe in economical posting, I'll stop. :D

My experience with them is limited, but one thing I like is the plastic fretboard always seems to have perfect low action without any buzzing. With the rosewood fretboard, I suppose there is a chance of the frets heaving out a little or some warping.

I've compare plastic and rosewood fretboards on the flea and can't discern a difference. But the rosewood is much prettier. I ordered my flea with a pick-up and it sounds great. That's all I can add to this discussion. And, since I believe in economical posting, I'll stop. :D

I think the plastic fretboards are fine. Use nailpolish or something to mark the frets if it bothers you.

I shall end my post quickly also. I can always add another post if need be.:D

i have both and they both play just fine. i haven't had the problems with the plastic frets wearing down and i've had my fluke for over a year (plus i'm the second owner).

the rosewood does look nicer but i can't tell a difference in sound. they both sound fine, and as JT has mentioned, the intonation is spot on regardless of the material.

Top Bottom