NUD: Flewelling Hollywood concert

Ukecaster

Reaction score
Got this one in recently, a used sunburst Hollywood style concert uke by Neal Flewelling, up in Maine. Mahogany back & sides and a spruce top, all solid wood. Didn't know much about the Hollywood body style before I got it, and this is my first concert size uke, but so far it's a wonderful instrument: very light, loud & resonant, and still has the soprano-like tone that I prefer, with just a bit more room on the fretboard for fingering. Although it came with a real nice Crossrock concert gigbag, it fits like a glove in this extra soprano HSC I have. I'll try to put up a video on it eventually.

Flewelling Hollywood concert.jpg

Last edited:
I had been looking at that one. It looks like a beauty and as I recall it was a great deal. Can't wait to hear it

Neal is a good friend of mine. I persuaded him to build concert ukuleles based on the Hollywood shape for the very reason you (Ukecaster) like this one - it sounds kind of like a bigger soprano. Neal traced one of my Hollywood ukes and took its measurements. I've played a umber of Neal's concerts, but not this one. They were all wonderful, as I am sure this one is. They are all sold. So, you are lucky to have one. I hope you enjoy it for years to come.

I also wrote an article about Hollywood ukuleles for one of Ukulelezaza's books. It's an interesting history.

Thanks all! I've been playing it a bunch, and it has the sweet soprano tone I like, just bigger, due to a larger concert body, and with more room on the fret board, from the concert scale. The Hollywood uke is surely a cool design! It came stock with Worth BM, and while those may be optimal, I'll try some Worth Clear strings anyway to see what it can do with those.

Last edited:
Beautiful ukulele! I love the Hollywood shape (and am partial to sun bursts, too). Glad to hear it plays and sounds as good as it looks!

Nice score! Can't wait to hear you playing it.

Top Bottom