Rambling Ukulele Thoughts for Retirement

Tomthebaptist

Reaction score
I recently retired, picked up the ukulele about 5 years ago, have been playing guitar for 50 years or so (can’t exactly remember when I started) - I have a wife and a dog named “Buddy.”

I have several ukuleles in my collection: A Pono Mango Baritone, Collings UT-1 Tenor, Romero Tiny Tenor mahogany, Kiwaya KTS-4 soprano, Koaloha KSM-00 soprano, and a Deering concert banjolele. I hope to sell the Koaloha to fund the purchase of a concert ukulele.

I love to play the old standards on my Tiny Tenor. To relax, I enjoy strumming the Kiwaya. When I don’t want to be bothered I play the banjolele. I’m off and on with the Collings - thought about selling it, but have decided to hold on to it and pass it along to my son when he gets out of college. I seldom pick up the Koaloha. It sounds good and easy to play, but the Kiwaya is too sweet to put down. Since I don’t need two sopranos, would like to move the Koaloha.

I taught instrumental music for 40 years and retired at the end of December 2017. I find the ukulele to be fun, easy to play, uplifting, a smile maker, and sometimes works as an aphrodisiac when the circumstances are right.

TommyC

That's awesome! I retired at the same time as you, to pursue a new career as an unemployed ukulele player. So far, it's going great. I haven't made a cent! :cool:

That's awesome! I retired at the same time as you, to pursue a new career as an unemployed ukulele player. So far, it's going great. I haven't made a cent! :cool:

Me neither. It’s sure is a lot of fun, though!!!

That is wonderful Tom, congratulations on retiring and having so much fun with the ukulele. You have obviously had a long career in music and it is always nice to hear such good things spoken about the ukulele by someone who really knows imstruments.

I relate to your statement about using the ukuele as a aphrodisiac. My wife says..........."I'll do anything if you would just stop playing the thing", works for me;)

congratz Tom on the retirement!

With 50 years experience of playing I'm sure any Uke will sound sweet in your hands:)

It wasn't until I had retired that I finally managed to play a musical instrument.

I had tried many times before, but it just didn't work out.

The uke was the one that finally worked for me. :)

I'm now learning to play my chromatic harmonicas too, & trying to learn to read standard notation.

Hopefully, I will also learn to play my fife, flute, & piccolo, before I depart this planet. ;)

Me neither. It’s sure is a lot of fun, though!!!

Same story for me, I retired and decided to play guitar, but that didn't last long. I found the ukulele was better suited for me. Anyway, making money with the ukulele isn't that hard, and you don't have to be some hot shot ukulele player to do it. Find a street corner with a lot of pedestrian traffic, put the case out, and start playing. People will give you money. I go out several times a week to an old wall near my house in San Juan and play to the tourists for beer money. Try it. Busking is great fun, you make a little money, and meet a lot of nice people.

Same story for me, I retired and decided to play guitar, but that didn't last long. I found the ukulele was better suited for me. Anyway, making money with the ukulele isn't that hard, and you don't have to be some hot shot ukulele player to do it. Find a street corner with a lot of pedestrian traffic, put the case out, and start playing. People will give you money. I go out several times a week to an old wall near my house in San Juan and play to the tourists for beer money. Try it. Busking is great fun, you make a little money, and meet a lot of nice people.

That’s a great idea! I think I will try it.

It wasn't until I had retired that I finally managed to play a musical instrument.

I had tried many times before, but it just didn't work out.

The uke was the one that finally worked for me. :)

I'm now learning to play my chromatic harmonicas too, & trying to learn to read standard notation.

Hopefully, I will also learn to play my fife, flute, & piccolo, before I depart this planet. ;)

Keith, good for you! You might consider an Appalachian Mountain Dulcimer. Don’t know if you can find one in the UK or not. But, it is a beautiful sounding instrument and quite easy to play. I enjoy playing Celtic and Elizabethan music on the mountain dulcimer. Appalachian music has its roots in the UK and the dulcimer fits right in.

Tc

Playing a musical instrument is an absolute blessing in your retirement :D We are very lucky folks :D

Yes it is, Campbell. I’m going to an old time music jam tonight and taking my guitar and tenor ukulele along. Looking forward to a good time!

Tc

I just think it's cool that your wife, and dog, both have the same name. Simplifies things.

I had to go back and reread! Awesome!

I just think it's cool that your wife, and dog, both have the same name. Simplifies things.

Well, that isn’t exactly what I meant, but it sure is funny and a little embarrassing - the older I get the more I get my words mixed up.

Well, that isn’t exactly what I meant, but it sure is funny and a little embarrassing - the older I get the more I get my words mixed up.
I write books for a living, and I don't do any better. That's what editors are for.

I feel I am wishing my life away, but can't wait to retire. Work is overated, its only benefits are to provide funds for ukes..

Thanks for this thread. I have been retired now for about nine years and have played the guitar since I was twelve. I picked up the banjo ten years later and while the guitar sits unplayed the banjo still comes out as I like to make music with a group of folk - the ukulele has been a recent addition and in fact has replaced the guitar. I have been teaching a tiny bit to other retired folk at church. I have introduced ukulele to friends in Peru and thanks to the UU have been able to bring down eight so far this year as contributions to a shanty town congregation. They love it. Music is such a gift and always to be shared. The instruments are fun too.

Reading this thread this morning really gave me a lift! Some very funny comments, and although I could sense that they would be coming (once a certain word was thrown into the original post), I have to say they made me laugh out loud! I'm approaching age 65, and just retired in January of this year. I started with the uke back when I was 12, then switched to guitar as I entered high school, after which I played in an assortment of bands ("groups", as we used to say), in the years since. Now I'm back to the uke. I love the simplicity (and to some extent the "gutsiness") of saying, "Okay, I have this little guy in my hands, and I'm ready to go... no hauling of gear, just the uke." I'm loving the approach of working out nicely voiced chords to songs that I loved growing up, and singing them in keys that fit my ever-diminishing vocal range. Simplicity has become the cornerstone. Best to all!

We have some retired friends in our neighborhood, and we all get together in the evenings though the summer and sit around a fire making smores and drinking too much. I take my ukulele and when everyone drinks enough to get in the mood, we sing a bunch of songs that we like from the sixties and seventies. It is great fun. We should start soon, as most are getting back from their winter escape. Some of the not yet retired neighbors come over, and we make fun of them because they have to get up and go to work in the morning.

Top Bottom