NUD: Takumi 3K Concert from The Ukulele Site

Ukulele Eddie

Reaction score
Last week, this gorgeous Takumi 3K concert arrived from The Ukulele Site.

This is my second Takumi. I loaned my other one -- an all Honduran mahogany concert -- to a buddy. Big mistake. LOL. He fell in love with its tone and playability and practically insisted I sell it to him. While I was happy my buddy found the uke he loved, it wasn't too long before I regretted letting that one go. So at NAMM this year I scouted for another concert uke.

Since I think (a) Takumi's are wonderful values in terms of what you get vs. other ukes comparable in price, and (b) I think their concerts are particularly terrific in tone, I was not surprised to pick another Takumi concert from everything I saw at NAMM. What did surprise me is I picked a koa uke. I love the look of gorgeous koa but find that all-koa ukes often don't grab me tonally -- there are exceptions, of course. And this is one of them.

Here's a very quick sound sample (raw). I think this sounds best re-entrant B so I have it tuned there. With a lower tension string, it may sound best in C but as I play by myself, I typically tune my ukes to whatever suits each best since I don't have to fit in with a group.

https://soundcloud.com/ukulele-eddie/takumi_3k_b_raw-wav

Here's the original listing with better pics and sound sample than I can do:

https://www.theukulelesite.com/takumi-concert-tk-3c-2.html

Congratulations, my friend! You sure know how to pick'em... :music:

That really is beautiful, I love the different pieces of koa used on the back and top, very distinctive looking. You are right about the B tuning, I have never heard a concert reentrant tuned this way but it does sound wonderful.

Congrats Eddie! I saw this when HMS first posted it and was truly tempted. I really like the B tuning- gonna try that as I like lower tension too. Enjoy!

That is an amazing uke. I love Kiwayas, if your Takumi is anything like one of those, you must be delighted with your purchase.

Thanks for sharing Eddie! I wish you joy!!!

Top Bottom