Tap dancing and playing the ukulele?

Rllink

Reaction score
I have decided to take an adult tap dancing class. I get a dance thing that pops up in my facebook everyday and I just thought tap dancing looked fun. So yesterday evening my wife and I went to the dance studio to sit in on a class to see if it was something we wanted to do. It looked fun. They are actually having a recital coming up, and they were working on that. While I was watching them I got to thinking that is seemed like learning to tap dance and play the ukulele at the same time has lots of advantages. First of all, it would help keep time. Someone was telling me about sitting at their desk and doing tap dancing while sitting. I thought that might be a fun thing to do while I'm playing. Better than just tapping a beat with one foot. I could have a whole percussion thing going on. Anyone who knows me knows that I do some busking as well. I'm thinking that tap dancing while playing the ukulele could be a money maker. The biggest thing is that I'm getting old, and it looked like some good exercise. I hate actually doing exercise for the sake of exercise. Anyway, watching them practice gave me a whole new avenue to explore. We start on the 16th.

For inspiration

Oh yes, please do it! I'd join you and your wife if I could. If you do, I'll look you up next time I'm in Iowa and put money in your hat.

Hot Sardines have a tap dancer who does much of his work sitting down. In one number, he takes up a uke, a Fender 52, and plays while tapping. Can't find the song on YouTube but here's the band. https://youtu.be/UV3woVlagPo

Stef Pisteffo, the multi talented lead of the Antwerp Deadheadz plays ukulele, sings and tapdances at the same time.
Amazing to look at and wonderful to listen to.

For inspiration

OMG, that is inspiration. A truly talented musician. I'm gonna bring that one up the next time the "gotta have a strap" crowd starts crowing. Thanks for posting that. I'm shooting for the stars after seeing it.

I have decided to take an adult tap dancing class. I get a dance thing that pops up in my facebook everyday and I just thought tap dancing looked fun. So yesterday evening my wife and I went to the dance studio to sit in on a class to see if it was something we wanted to do. It looked fun. They are actually having a recital coming up, and they were working on that. While I was watching them I got to thinking that is seemed like learning to tap dance and play the ukulele at the same time has lots of advantages. First of all, it would help keep time. Someone was telling me about sitting at their desk and doing tap dancing while sitting. I thought that might be a fun thing to do while I'm playing. Better than just tapping a beat with one foot. I could have a whole percussion thing going on. Anyone who knows me knows that I do some busking as well. I'm thinking that tap dancing while playing the ukulele could be a money maker. The biggest thing is that I'm getting old, and it looked like some good exercise. I hate actually doing exercise for the sake of exercise. Anyway, watching them practice gave me a whole new avenue to explore. We start on the 16th.

Have you ever seen James Hill do his sitting dance routine while playing? As he plays, he stamps out a rhythm. This video is from 2012, but he's still doing it - with shorter hair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV2nZF-pZ1g

Have you ever seen James Hill do his sitting dance routine while playing? As he plays, he stamps out a rhythm. This video is from 2012, but he's still doing it - with shorter hair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV2nZF-pZ1g

Ha! I was going to link that same video. Kudos to you!

IIRC, that footwork is an Appalachian thing (that made it's way up to Nova Scotia), taken from influence from Celtic/Ireland footwork that is similar, but I cant remember what it's called...

Just don't fall into the sink !! :rolleyes:

I'm officially signed up at the dance studio and registered for the next class that starts on the 16th. It sounds to me like not a lot of men take dance classes. My wife bought a pair of tap shoes there, but they didn't have any men's size 11. I might have to get them to order a pair, or maybe I'll just order them myself on line. The lady actually recommended an on line site for whatever else I might need or want. I told the instructor that I wanted to learn to tap dance and eventually play my ukulele at the same time. She thought that was a great idea. Anyway, I once took a cake decorating class on a dare from some female coworkers and being the only man in the class I got a lot of attention from the teacher. I'm hoping that is the case in the dance class, as I am going to need all the help that I can get. I was also told that they have a recital in June, and it was totally voluntary for adults. That may be taking it too far.

Just don't fall into the sink !! :rolleyes:

I don't know what you mean by that, but I won't fall into a sink.

I could see doing the James Hill tap thing but not so much the tap dancing while playing the uke but that's me. I can't even tap my foot to keep time while playing the uke because it throws me off. :cool:

I could see doing the James Hill tap thing but not so much the tap dancing while playing the uke but that's me. I can't even tap my foot to keep time while playing the uke because it throws me off. :cool:
Actually one of the big reasons that I started thinking about taking tap dance was because I thought that it would help me with timing and rhythm. I need a sense of timing.

Actually one of the big reasons that I started thinking about taking tap dance was because I thought that it would help me with timing and rhythm. I need a sense of timing.

Helping you with a sense of timing and rhythm while doing them simultaneously or the timing and rhythm of tap dancing independant of playing would help with your playing? I might be misunderstanding your aim here.

Helping you with a sense of timing and rhythm while doing them simultaneously or the timing and rhythm of tap dancing independent of playing would help with your playing? I might be misunderstanding your aim here.
The timing and rhythm of tap dancing independent of playing would help with my ukulele playing. The idea of playing while tap dancing is something to joke around about. Until it actually happens at least.

I'm officially signed up at the dance studio and registered for the next class that starts on the 16th. It sounds to me like not a lot of men take dance classes. My wife bought a pair of tap shoes there, but they didn't have any men's size 11. I might have to get them to order a pair, or maybe I'll just order them myself on line. The lady actually recommended an on line site for whatever else I might need or want. I told the instructor that I wanted to learn to tap dance and eventually play my ukulele at the same time. She thought that was a great idea. Anyway, I once took a cake decorating class on a dare from some female coworkers and being the only man in the class I got a lot of attention from the teacher. I'm hoping that is the case in the dance class, as I am going to need all the help that I can get. I was also told that they have a recital in June, and it was totally voluntary for adults. That may be taking it too far.

I don't know what you mean by that, but I won't fall into a sink.

Have fun!!

Top Bottom