string spread/bridge placement

Uncle-Taco

Reaction score
Hi.
I just got a new KPK that I am really enjoying. It does appear to have one quirk, but I'm new enough to the instrument I can't be sure what's normal and whether it matters.

Holding the ukulele upright and facing it, it seems that the A string is awfully close to the edge of the fretboard, especially compared to the G. The overall string spread seems okay. It's very playable, but I have fallen off the edge.

Whether it is or not, I'm thinking this, and wonder what the best option would be (and if not one of these, then what?):
1. Replace the wooden saddle with a bone, Tusq, or plastic one (I have the luthier skills for this) and see if I can scoot it in a bit.
2. If and when I do that, carve a new nut, too, and squeeze the string spread a little to get it off the edge.
3. Take it to a luthier and have the bridge moved. :uhoh:
4. Say to heck with it, play the guts out of it, and start thinking about my next acquisition.

Any thoughts?

I usually carve a new nut in that kind of situation. Adjusting it at the bridge end isn't ideal. Uke strings usually fall naturally over the saddle where they are pulled by the alignment of string holes in the bridge and slots in the nut. The only way to change that is to slot or notch string guides in the saddle. That invites tuning probs.

Making a new nut allows total custom spacing to suit you, plus the option to put the old nut back and restore the status quo if the experiment doesn't work out.

Always make sure your tweaks are reversible. :shaka:

Top Bottom