Baby Baritone

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
Trying my new shape in spruce/walnut combo.

29744848_1577897535592538_4974962171708504300_o.jpg

The koa one turned out real nice - hear it here: (I think you have to be a member of my group to see it in this format. I recorded it direct to Facebook so I'll see if I can download it and edit for YouTube....)

Edited YouTube version here:https://youtu.be/uf1jPDsukLI

Last edited:
Very nice! Love the sound. What's the scale? And what strings are on it?

Scale length is 475mm or 18.7". Baritone scale length should be between 21" and 22" to support a decent set of strings. I am using wound D'Addarios for the G and D and Worth Browns for the b and e. Can't tell you the gauges but will work them out tomorrow for you. This instrument has now left the workshop.

What is the body length of the mini baritone? Did you use a tenor body or make another size? It sounds realllly good.

I increased all tenor dimensions by 10%.... it kept the instrument in proportion!

I built a tenor that is low tuned and I really like the way it sounds. I think I will give a mini baritone a go for my next one.

Scale length is 475mm or 18.7". Baritone scale length should be between 21" and 22" to support a decent set of strings. I am using wound D'Addarios for the G and D and Worth Browns for the b and e. Can't tell you the gauges but will work them out tomorrow for you. This instrument has now left the workshop.

That's close enough Pete. I thought it looked shorter scale than normal . I like 19" baritone better than the longer ones, even 20". I think you have a winning formula here.

I hope so - I'm building plenty of them with different wood combinations this year as I am reliably informed that the baritone is having its moment....

I took an educated guess and it worked out...

I used to do some target shooting. One of the older guys (I fall into that category now) told me a story about a person commenting about how he was pretty luck getting all the shots in a tight group. The shooter replied, 'I seem to get luckier the more I practice'.

Probably more educated than guess.

Update looking at spruce top combo. Notice how a 13 fret to the body neck join places the bridge in a good position...

BB Wlanut Front.jpg

BB Walnut End  View.jpg

BB Walnut Back View.jpg

And yes that's 'accordion makers' binding - red tortoise shell. Just love it.... And need to use it because of the radical curve of the back and side taper.

Absolutely gorgeous. The 10% upscale is brilliant, cant wait to hear a sound sample of this one. The Koa model was fabulous sounding.

Cheers,

Steve.

Better have one available for you to try then hadn't I? Looking forward to our festival with you Zoe. It's going to be a cool weekend.

Another beautiful instrument Pete!

What tuning do plan to use? Baritone (DGBE), Bb linear, or something else?

Top Bottom