PDA

View Full Version : Tell us about your best sounding ukulele..

kerneltime
04-05-2018, 03:14 AM
This should be a fun thread to revisit.

Sound of a uke is very subjective but should be a fun read none the less.

For me:

Make: cocobolo ukulele
Model: super concert
Strings: worth brown concert
Tuning: high g

How do I play it: Usually in a quiet room at a low volume.

What do I like about it: it has a good deep tone and a balanced sound across the range. The body resonates well at around high G so standard tuning works well. Really good dynamic range, sounds good and rich when played soft or loud.
I also like the super soprano form factor. Excellent sustain!

I would like to have a lighter head stock and I do not like bridge pins on ukes but the playing more than compensates for the things I would like to see done differently.

I have tried other strings and it currently has titanium strings on but I prefer worth Brown.

Current heard:
Makala dolphin that I sanded down.
Martin c1k
MM tenors: all myrtle and cedar top mahagony back cutaway.
Concert Fluke

ralphk
04-05-2018, 04:59 AM
Best sounding? To whose ears?

For me, I seem to default to mahogany with either Worth browns or Southcoast stings. Even my ultra cheap Donner solid mahogany top uke with browns sounds pretty good to me.

But then my new koa tiny tenor with a low g is great too. Cannot fault it at all.

Ralph

sunshiNee
04-05-2018, 05:20 AM
Martin C1K for me with M600s... it sings when I sit in the corner of the fireplace. I find that corner gives the best acoustic... I'm getting spoiled when I use the Concert Flea it just doesn't sound the same as the Martin.

However I'm drooling over the Farrallon right now... debating whether to buy one!!

Croaky Keith
04-05-2018, 07:56 AM
No particular one, but I have a few that I really like the sound of, mainly solid mahogany or solid acacia

Different sizes, but all fitted with Living Water low G fluorocarbon (concert) strings.

Edit: I suppose I ought to say my long neck concert KoAloha acacia, as it's my most expensive, but I really like my Ohana mahogany long necks too. :)

Rllink
04-05-2018, 10:26 AM
Can't pick a best sounding, but I can sure pick out the worst sounding.

RafterGirl
04-05-2018, 11:33 AM
Wow. That’s a tough one. I have 4 that are all quite different in their sound. Each one sounds great. My KoAloha concert is perhaps the overall sound winner. It suits most music well, is bright & happy, with good intonation everywhere on the fretboard. My Gary Gill short neck tenor is mellow and well suited to strumming, blues, country, and has great intonation. My Loprinzi cedar/ rosewood has been a little mystery uke. It sounds kind of “timid” at home but when I plug into the sound system at church on Sundays, it sings like nobody’s business. It truly sparkles! Maybe it just likes attention. Then there’s my trusty acacia laminate Islander soprano which is just flat out fun sounding around a campfire.

bratsche
04-05-2018, 12:22 PM
That was nice, Campbell. How do you make the video look like disembodied hands are playing? Cover yourself in black velvet? :confused:

bratsche

Dansimpson
04-05-2018, 02:37 PM
I can't feel the love for my Martin S1, and instead love playing a cheaper Barnes and Mullin Gresse... maybe its the mahogany I don't like, but personally, the Gresse just sounds better to me, and in honesty, as I play for me, that's the most important thing.

kerneltime
04-05-2018, 04:12 PM
I can't feel the love for my Martin S1,

Maybe you should try a different tuning.. http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?132434-Uke-s-tuning-that-hits-the-sweet-spot-vs-strings

Pete F
04-05-2018, 09:43 PM
The one I'm playing generally. I recently got rid of one custom uke that drove me to despair everytime I played it - feels good not to have it in my life now, as I kept on trying to justify ownership, and having a rotten time with it.

I've recently bought a new old stock Collings UC1 koa, and I'm blown away by it; so at the moment that is my best sounding uke.

I've got a Mya Moe koa tenor that I'd love even more if it weren't for the radius fretboard - love the sound, just get that annoying squeal/buzz on those tricky chords due to not being able to hold down the strings cleanly on the very radiused fretboard. Such a shame, it's one piece koa with bloodwood bindings (custom made for me). The Collings also has a radius, but it is less pronounced (more subtle) than the MM. I would, and I never thought I'd say this: consider a trade for a Collings tenor (must be near mint though) pm me before I change my mind if you have anything suitable, cash either way (I'm UK based).

TopDog
04-05-2018, 09:58 PM
I suppose it would be my home made concert scale resonator
ukulele? I am mainly a blues player,with lots of rock and a load
of old time tunes thrown in,and it just sounds 'right' to me, for
what I am playing,and my own style of playing!

SoloRule
04-06-2018, 03:19 AM
The one I'm playing generally. I recently got rid of one custom uke that drove me to despair everytime I played it - feels good not to have it in my life now, as I kept on trying to justify ownership, and having a rotten time with it.

WOW Pete F , you really took the word right out of my mouth. Thank you. I too owned a custom ( it's a six strings baritone size guitar most people refer it as guitarlele) . The name brand is highly respected and I was blessed to have the opportunity to buy it off the first owner. It was the most expensive piece of instrument I have ever owned . I kept on trying and trying so hard to justify ownership and feeling miserable. Yes the word is having a rotten time with it to the point that I really thought something is wrong with me.

If it was a few hundred dollars instrument, I may let it sit and hope one day I will learn to love it. There is simply no explanation to why I can not bond with this thing. When someone asked me if I would sell it to him, I actually felt relief that I can pass it on to someone who may have more love than me. You pretty much summed up my feeling in that one sentence.

I have a good collections of uke now. I love them all equally but the one holds dear to my heart is my custom built LFdM which I named it Mercedes and I have made many videos with this instrument. I call it my magic uke. It made my lousy playing sounds good in just about every song.

Five stars for this thread......

Oldtoolie
04-07-2018, 01:59 AM
I didn't realise how nice my Martin T1k sounded until I listened to someone else play it. The fullness of the sound is in front rather than above. That might be why people like sound holes on the top side.

SoloRule
04-07-2018, 05:41 AM
Well done Brenda, it must be such a relief to have unloaded that unlovable guitarlele.

Everyone has different opinion , just because I can't justify my ownership of a certain instrument it does not mean it is a bad or an unloveable instrument.

Perhaps, 'relief' is the wrong word choice ! I am just happy someone will play it and hopefully appreciate it much longer than I have.

Most of us have sold instruments for various reasons. For me is if you can't bond with an instrument , let's someone else have it. As simple as that.

I too agree with Oldtoolie Instrument sounds different when you are listening to it from across the room.

Kimosabe
04-07-2018, 06:57 AM
My Kanilea K-1 tenor has a buttery sound. People remark on it, even compared to more expensive custom made ukuleles.

But, I once strummed or picked a Kinnard and the damn thing started playing itself it was so good.

actadh
04-07-2018, 07:36 AM
I have two, because they have such different sounds.

My sapele KoAloha Opio soprano with Living Waters strings. It only needs a very light touch to ring out.

The $94 spruce/ovangkol Kala soprano many of us on here got from Overstock.com is the other one. When I changed the strings to Martin's, it became the uke everyone comments on when I play it.

Jim Hanks
04-07-2018, 08:54 AM
Best sounding? Hmm, overall I'd have to say the Ono baritone. Living Water strings in linear Ab tuning (up half step from DGBE). Myrtle/cedar gives a warm low end with clear mids and a little sparkle on the highs without being too bright.

SteveZ
04-07-2018, 01:32 PM
It depends on the genre, as each seems to ring better with different woods and such.

For the "Gulf & Western" and country rock stuff, the Lanikai 6-String.
For classic folk stuff, the OS 8-string.
For gentle ballads and hymns, the Martin T1K

The banjo-ukes add a different spin to everything.

Strumdaddy
04-07-2018, 08:28 PM
A Martin tenor from the 60's that somehow made it to Australia, then was turned into a 6 string - even had steel strings on it at some stage (judging from the fret wear). It's a real Franken-uke that shows the scars of it's many lives: huge back cracks, parts of the sound-board replaced, headstock damaged from extra post holes, finish all over the shop... but man! when I strum that thing... It is mellow yet bright and "ukey" at the same time. And there's an emotional component to playing it too: I reclaimed and re-loved it - with all it's imperfections, and Cliff Edwards ended up on a Martin tenor (there's even a photo of him in the nursing home with it)
I have many ukes, they all have a place and a story but the sound - and feel of this one makes me smile.
p.s. don't worry, everything has been repaired

kerneltime
04-08-2018, 05:44 AM
I was expecting to see a lot of Mya Moye and Moore Bettah listed here..

MattyPeq
04-08-2018, 01:30 PM
I love my Martin C1K. It sounds like a true Koa Ukulele should sound. And you could hear it from a mile away.

It's always a blast. :)

plunker
04-09-2018, 06:10 AM
Pono MTD tenor hands down.

Scooter1552
04-11-2018, 04:03 AM
One of the best things about ukes is having more than one. There are times, and songs when my Kanile’a K1t sings to me and lifts me up and other times when my Fluke is there for me to bang out Billie Jean. The Fluke is loved because I can throw it in the car and take it with me and it’s easy to take on a plane(recently to Oahu). My vintage Martins sound great and have a smell that takes me back to earlier times. I love them all and love having different tools in my box.

ukuleletodd
04-11-2018, 04:30 AM
My Farrallon!! Love it! I started about 6 years ago with a Flea. Then I got a thinline Kala tenor. Then a solid body Fluke. I finally realized that I really liked the uke as much as my guitars (which are carbon fiber), so I took the plunge and bought the Farrallon. It's beautiful, it's loud, and it has a really mellow, pleasant sound. After that, I bought a tenor outdoor uke for teaching my primary music classes...

maki66
04-11-2018, 05:33 AM
We have lots of ukuleles.
But the best sounding one is always which ever one my wife is playing at the moment.
I haven't figured out why,.....it............might...................... ..mean........................I'm................. .......................................slow.

kerneltime
04-19-2018, 07:53 AM
Hehe.. professional payers should offer a service where they play your ukulele for you to help internalize that UAS will not solve the ukulele sound problem :-D
I am curious to start recording.. cause I often hear instruments online and cannot normalize to what I hear when I play..

kerneltime
04-26-2018, 08:35 AM
After the crack and repair I will have to change my opinion
My c1k is what I seek to play the most http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?132785-C1K-sound-improved-after-a-crack!-Have-you-experienced-something-similar

mds725
04-26-2018, 01:32 PM
My best sounding tenor 'ukulele is an all-koa Moore Bettah that I was fortunate enough to buy from its original owner. With a set of Chuck Moore curated strings, it rings like a bell. Warm Hawaiian voice with nice sustain. Mahalo nui, Chuck!

My best-sounding traditional baritone is my Ono baritone with bearclaw spruce top and padauk back and sides. The sound is radiant. Mahalo nui, David!

I also need to give a shout-out to the steel string Compass Rose baritone 'ukulele that was built for me by Rick Turner. The steel strings give it a warm guitar-like sound and it has great tone and sustain. Mahalo, nui Rick!

Well done Brenda, it must be such a relief to have unloaded that unlovable guitarlele.

I like to think that, as with most people, most ukuleles are lovable, but just not by everyone. I hope this instrument has found a home where it is loved and cherished for what it is, and not unloved for failing to meet someone's expectations.

Pueo
04-26-2018, 03:54 PM
Aloha Folks!
My best-sounding ukulele is my newest acquisition, my Compass Rose Redwood top, cocobolo back and sides, 5-String tenor.
I like everything about it! Plays great up the neck, great tone, the doubled G gives it a nice extra oomph, It responds well to a light touch, but will handle aggressive strumming, just awesome!
#2 would probably be my Pono PKT-1 right behind it. I have had that ukulele for about 10 years now, and it sounds so good to my ear that it has actually prevented me from buying several nice ukuleles - because I always say to myself, "Sure, it sounds nice, but does it really sound [insert value] dollars nicer than my Pono?
Up until I played my Compass Rose, the answer was always "no."
I'm not saying the Compass Rose is the best-sounding ukulele I have ever played, but it is easily the best-sounding ukulele I am able to afford!
Cheers!

Pueo
04-26-2018, 03:58 PM
Oh, and Brenda, I can totally relate. I bought an ukulele a few years ago that I really wanted to like so much. Beautiful wood, good sound, fun to play, but...
Something just kept me from bonding with it.
It had some Quality Control issues. It was good, but not great. It cost pretty much double what I paid for my Pono. I tried to love it for years, but I eventually sold it for half of what I paid for it and it helped pay for the Compass Rose.

kohanmike
04-26-2018, 08:09 PM
Since I bought my Kala tenor solid cedar top with preamp, I considered it my best sounding and playing uke, lots of projection, good sustain, hi-g with the original Aquila strings. Then about a month ago I bought a Lanikai Thinline figured bocote and it's just as good, if not slightly better, also with preamp and original Aquila strings. It really surprises me the sound that comes out of thinlines, Kala and my Lanikai.

http://www.kohanmike.com/uploads/Kala cedar mine.jpg

http://www.kohanmike.com/uploads/Lanikai Thinline Bocote.jpg

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos (https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos)

kerneltime
04-27-2018, 04:07 AM
I have been eyeing the compass rose for sometime! Time to go check them out again!

kerneltime
05-16-2018, 08:31 PM
Have to change my vote to a shiny new Moore Bettah (Spruce + Ebony, #1808) I was lucky/blessed to get.
Playing it, feels like putting out a big UAS forrest fire deep inside. I wait for the right moment to open and play it..

BuzzBD
05-16-2018, 10:28 PM
My best sounding uke is not, unfortunately one that I built. It is a Martin O style mahogany soprano. Picked it up on EBay a few years ago. It has the decal on the peg head, that they started using in 1932, and bar frets which Martin quit using in 1934. It was missing a tuner, so I put on a set of Grover friction tuners. The finish was badly cracked and crazed, so I first applied some shellac and then sprayed a couple of light coats of nitro over it. That welded the finish together nicely. The finish crazing is only slightly visible now, and more importantly it is ready for another 80 years. The body is totally sound, no cracks at all and zero fret wear. It sounds amazing, loud with an incredible dynamic range, but lacking any of the harshness sometimes present with loud instruments. I feel very fortunate that it wound up in my hands.
Brad

DownUpDave
05-17-2018, 01:30 AM
Best seems to change as my mood changes and the songs change

*Bright and articulate....LfdM tenor sitka spruce and Amazon rosewood. This instrument is the easiest playing uke I have ever touched, means alot

*Warm loud and very resonant....I'iwi tenor redwood and walnut. This is light and so well balanced

* Even toned, excellent mid range sound great for strumming, singing and performing live.....Ko'olau tenor spruce and myrtle

If the house was burning down I would grab the LfdM and run

kerneltime
05-17-2018, 03:37 AM
Best seems to change as my mood changes and the songs change
If the house was burning down I would grant ab the LfdM and run
I am glad you know the answer to that quandary!

Jerryc41
05-17-2018, 04:54 AM
If they weren't all the best or didn't look great, I wouldn't have them. I'm not a sound snob, and all of my ukuleles sound like ukuleles. The m,ore expensive ones do tend to sound better, though. The Koaloha has a great sound.

PereBourik
05-17-2018, 02:09 PM
It's a Beau Hannam tenor, redwood top with koa back & sides. It plays as good as it sounds. If you follow Beau's builds you know that he puts an impressive level of craft and heart into them. Must say that this uke pretty much slayed UAS. I've re-homed 4 since it came home.

Second is a Pono ATD. The action isn't quite as good.

Third is a Clara.

DownUpDave
05-19-2018, 06:19 AM
If they weren't all the best or didn't look great, I wouldn't have them. I'm not a sound snob, and all of my ukuleles sound like ukuleles. The m,ore expensive ones do tend to sound better, though. The Koaloha has a great sound.

I am a sound snob......if knowing what sound I like from a ukuele makes me a snob!!

The question asked was "Tell us about your best sounding ukulele", not which ones look great. Just sayin';)

Ukecaster
05-19-2018, 07:08 AM
Without a doubt, it is my LoPrinzi Model A tenor. This is their basic mahogany tenor model, no frills, except a beautiful logo on the headstock, and the laminate wood stripes on the back of neck and headstock. But what a sweet woody sound, with great volume. I've owned 7 tenors from Ohana, Mainland, Pono and Outdoor, and this one is by far the best sounding and playing.

Nickie
05-20-2018, 02:30 PM
What a fun thread!
I'd have to say the uke here that pleases my ear the most is my wife's mahogany Tiny Tenor. Unfortunately, for me, the scale is a bit long, so I'm not very good at playing it. She is also a guitarist, so she's all over it.

After that, my Cocobolo Ukuleles concert uke is the best sounding thing I've ever owned. I use Worth Clears on it. I do like it with Worth Browns too. It pleases my ears played acoustically or plugged in. Everyone who hears it seems to really enjoy its tone. Highs, lows, mids, it has it all, even thought it's built a little on the heavy side.

I love LoPrinzi ukes, but I won't sidetrack the thread, because I don't have one. Everybody I know that has one is crazy about it. I can't say enough nice things about Donna.

Jerryc41
05-21-2018, 12:31 AM
Okay, then. I would say my Koaloha soprano and concert are the best of my bunch. I can't choose between them for sound.

DownUpDave
05-21-2018, 01:14 AM
Okay, then. I would say my Koaloha soprano and concert are the best of my bunch. I can't choose between them for sound.

Thats ok, I listed three, it is a hard choice:confused:. Koaloha have a great sound, makes it tough to pick one.

Jerryc41
05-21-2018, 01:39 AM
Thats ok, I listed three, it is a hard choice:confused:. Koaloha have a great sound, makes it tough to pick one.

I'm not a connoisseur of sound. The only disappointment in a uke was from a cigar box I built. I selected a beautiful box and had it almost finished. Then I cut the sound hole and saw that it was not wood. It was thick cardboard! I eventually removed that top and found a nice paper-covered wooden top. Lots better sound. I used cigar boxes for two builds, but I made a box for that photo.

ralphk
05-21-2018, 06:18 AM
I have had a Pono mahogany tenor for over 10 years and without a doubt, mahogany is the best for me. Low G.

rubykey
05-22-2018, 10:25 AM
Blue Frog Spruce Maple Soprano that I bought here on the Ukulele Underground from Member Vic Jones. It is strung with worth clears and has a stunning harp-like tone that is both resonant and clear at the same time. Love love love my Blue Frog. I stopped looking at other sopranos after I got this. Well okay, I do look, but never tempted.Except when Vic recently posted a sopranino for sale.

Jerryc41
05-22-2018, 10:51 AM
Blue Frog Spruce Maple Soprano that I bought here on the Ukulele Underground from Member Vic Jones. It is strung with worth clears and has a stunning harp-like tone that is both resonant and clear at the same time. Love love love my Blue Frog. I stopped looking at other sopranos after I got this. Well okay, I do look, but never tempted.Except when Vic recently posted a sopranino for sale.

That's beautiful!

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?84929-Blue-Frog-Handmade-Ambrosia-Maple-Soprano

kerneltime
05-28-2018, 08:19 PM
My best sounding tenor 'ukulele is an all-koa Moore Bettah that I was fortunate enough to buy from its original owner. With a set of Chuck Moore curated strings, it rings like a bell. Warm Hawaiian voice with nice sustain. Mahalo nui, Chuck!

My best-sounding traditional baritone is my Ono baritone with bearclaw spruce top and padauk back and sides. The sound is radiant. Mahalo nui, David!

I also need to give a shout-out to the steel string Compass Rose baritone 'ukulele that was built for me by Rick Turner. The steel strings give it a warm guitar-like sound and it has great tone and sustain. Mahalo, nui Rick!

I like to think that, as with most people, most ukuleles are lovable, but just not by everyone. I hope this instrument has found a home where it is loved and cherished for what it is, and not unloved for failing to meet someone's expectations.
I am getting a Ono super tenor soon! Very excited.

My current favorite as I mentioned earlier is a Spruce + Ebony (Maccascar) tenor from Chuck Moore.. I wish I could get an all Koa from him.. I hope he get back to building ukes but
above that I hope he stays safe and happy!

I have not hear much about Compass Rose Baritones.. will keep an eye out for those.

Ziret
05-29-2018, 07:08 AM

I was hoping you'd come on and brag about your frog. His sopranino sounds so good it was hard to resist.

I don't have a best sounding. I think the koa Timms is my best sounding soprano. But it's tied for top spot with the Kiwaya concert and Tiny Tenor.

Swamp Yankee
05-30-2018, 04:07 AM
I only own two now, but I've owned others and tried quite a few in shops. No question... the best sounding ukulele I own and one of the best I've ever played is a Asian built concert marked as a prototype made for a line of ukuleles that Musicguymic was launching back in 2005 or so, called Kolohe.

Solid mahogany all around and very lightly built, the bridge is coming away and there's a pronounced belly but it sings so sweetly and it's LOUD. I'm pretty spoiled by it, tonally...and most searches for a higher quality concert uke in better condition have ended with me realizing that it's going to be quite a search to find a better sounding uke, especially since I paid about $100 for my Kolohe on ebay.

fopianki
01-14-2019, 07:57 PM
I just recently purchased a kanile’a kcs-sc super deluxe concert that is without a doubt the most beautiful and gorgeous sounding uke I have ever owned. (I also own a kanile’a k1 and a kanile’a tenor premium). The super concert just feels right to play in terms of fret width and neck thickness. It rings like a bell and has amazing sustain. The only challenge I have is to find strings that provide spot on intonation. However, I have typically found that this is a common challenge with new “adoptions”. I’m thinking about trying “Living Waters” primarily because as a 65 year old uke player who teaches business at a Christian liberal arts university, I want to support a like minded brother in his business endeavor. Not a very objective decision but sometimes you need to lead with your heart rather than your head.

Photodan
01-15-2019, 11:21 AM
I love my T1k also, great tone and easy playability

Joyful Uke
01-15-2019, 02:02 PM
What I love about reading the responses is the variety of responses. It's such a subjective thing, and there are lots of choices to make people happy.

My own response will vary from day to day, or maybe even moment to moment.

Cluze
01-15-2019, 04:40 PM
Kamaka HF-2A 100th Anniversary Concert, with Fremont Blackline medium tension strings. Her name is Samantha, and she positively sings!

The action is as close to perfect as I have experienced. The tone is crisp and clear with every note in a chord balanced. It's an absolute joy to play.

Sharpshin
01-15-2019, 04:53 PM
The look of Bocote gets me every time. Great looking uke! I heard has Lanakai improved their game in 2018.

bonesigh
01-15-2019, 05:19 PM
Guess I like the sound of my Moodyville Jazz Tenor best. Sweet clear notes, easy on the fingers {:0)==>

CommonCurt
01-15-2019, 08:51 PM
So far my favorite uke is my Kala Elite 1MHG-S (solid mahogany soprano)
My only gripe is that I wish the nut was a little wider.
The specs say the nut is supposed to be 35mm, but it's closer to 34mm.

https://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd490/CurtisandCrystal/Ukulele%20Pics/20180521_104251.jpg (https://s1222.photobucket.com/user/CurtisandCrystal/media/Ukulele%20Pics/20180521_104251.jpg.html)

captain-janeway
01-16-2019, 04:37 AM
People love all kinds of ukes. Something for everyone.
I love my Kala cedar top concert. I have a Mainland mahogany as well, but it's that deep tone from the cedar that I love.

Cluze
01-16-2019, 05:51 AM
People love all kinds of ukes. Something for everyone.
I love my Kala cedar top concert. I have a Mainland mahogany as well, but it's that deep tone from the cedar that I love.

That's very interesting to me, as I don't have a lot of experience with cedar as a tone wood. Could you describe it in more detail, and how it compares, to your ears, to other common tone woods?

captain-janeway
01-16-2019, 07:21 AM
That's very interesting to me, as I don't have a lot of experience with cedar as a tone wood. Could you describe it in more detail, and how it compares, to your ears, to other common tone woods?

It's hard to describe other than to say it sounds deeper and more like a guitar to me vs. like spruce which just sounds like it's a little higher pitched. Maybe it's more like an alto voice vs the spruce being more like a soprano voice. Both are nice, I just prefer the lower register. I also play it with a low g string.

Swamp Yankee
01-16-2019, 07:52 AM
Agreed - cedar tops sound great. My Cordoba 24T cedar top tenor makes wonderful noise. It's in my top 3 ukes, tonally. It's also a pleasure to play. Ultra light and responsive.

Ukecaster
01-16-2019, 08:28 AM
Do you play your Cordoba 24T as low G, or high? Haven't tried mine as high G yet, wondering about that.

Astein2006
01-16-2019, 12:24 PM
My Kamaka standard with stock Kamaka strings. Ukulele heaven to my ears.

Swamp Yankee
01-19-2019, 04:03 PM
Do you play your Cordoba 24T as low G, or high? Haven't tried mine as high G yet, wondering about that.

High G. I don't like linear anything... even my baritone is reentrant.

Mr. B
01-19-2019, 10:19 PM
I am about just new to playing ukulele. Nevertheless I do have already a few different models (not the expensive stuff yet though), and it looks like that I always look/search for the sound of my first one, my Lanikai LU-11 (soprano scale) with Aquila New Nylgut, although I restringed her with Super Nylguts now, it still sounds great to my ears.
The other day I had a lot of different strings arriving and I did restring my Lanikai MA-S with Aquila Sugars - man that did blew me away - great sound and waaaay better than with the strings she came with (New Nylgut - I guess).
I know this thread is about sound, but just to have mentioned it: maybe because I am a newbie I really prefere to play a uke with wide string spacing - so I play the MA-S now a lot as she has a much wider spacing than most of my other ukes. Picking just becomes way more enjoyable.

edhaponik
01-20-2019, 11:16 AM
Kamaka HF-3 w blacklines is kinda perfection for me. Just the right combo of warmth and clarity.
But a Martin S-1 with flourocarbons is great in its own way. That boxy mahogany 20's jazz vibe. While I would choose the Kamaka for what I play day-to-day, to say one sound is "better" feels like apples n oranges.

efiscella
01-21-2019, 09:36 AM
all of my ukulele's are different from each other, and over the years, I have filtered out to select the best that I have owned (over 45 ukes in all) in each category. The worst, though, is my Kala thinline concert. I never play it-- I use it collect autographs. It is the one that I seriously broke-in on but I am not happy with most aspects of it.

Let me talk about the soprano's though. I have an early KoAloha (prior the unibracing and prior the musbi sound hole) and it sounds awesome, more like a Kamaka than a current KoAloha. However, Pops sent me a new uke that he calls the Wow. This is a pine body and Engleman Spruce top. The sound on this uke is unbeatable. I have never played any brand of soprano ukulele (and I have played tons of different brands) that compares to this WOW. It is a cannon, so easy to play, and with a unique full tone. It is a joy to play and a prized possession.

hendulele
01-21-2019, 10:32 AM
I've owned and rehomed quite a few over the years. Of the current group, I'd say the best sounding is either my Famous or my C1K. The Ohana soprano's a sweet player, too. I'm in a great spot now, because it's impossible to choose one.

olphart
01-21-2019, 11:50 AM
I've had two high end Ponos among a few cheaper ukes, trying to find the perfect one for me. I never bonded with either. not sure why.
I now have a Koaloha Opio that I love to play. The sound for me is sweet and mellow with the stock strings ..Low G. The action makes it a treat to play and it ends up on my lap every day.