PDA

View Full Version : How would you rate Ukulele Magazine?

Nickie
04-05-2018, 10:08 AM
I've subscribed to Ukulele Magazine for about 3 years now, and I'm curious.
How many of you do?
How would you rate it?
10 is excellent
1 is poor

Lapyang
04-05-2018, 01:28 PM
I have been a subscriber for 18 months. I would give it a 7. The digital version will lock you out after several viewings (I forgot exactly the number of times allowed). I like the video tutorials. Printed tabs are nice too.

Uke Don
04-05-2018, 02:29 PM
I would also give it a 7. Very slickly produced and lots of nice ukes to look at but many ads. Some of the articles are helpful. Not sure I will resubscribe.

Brad Bordessa
04-05-2018, 02:38 PM

It's pretty, but the content usually feels pretty cheap and cutesy aside from the feature story. There's not much for anybody who's been around the block a time or two. I flip through and it's like, "yep... yep... yep..." I'd love to see some more diverse/challenging stuff on players or companies doing interesting things that aren't just more status quo.

Think I renewed a while back, but probably won't again unless they step up a bit. If you're fairly new to the scene in the states or the UK it's probably pretty cool, but for a long time performing/teaching dude in Hawai'i I say, "Meh."

joekulele
04-05-2018, 07:13 PM
I let my subscription lapse simply because every issue delivered to my home was ripped and/or wrinkled to death. I subscribe to their newsletter that always features the main articles and it’s free. I would still subscribe if the Post didn’t destroy them before I flipped open the cover.

drbekken
04-05-2018, 08:16 PM
I'd give it a five.

TaoCat
04-05-2018, 08:49 PM
I'd give it an 8, at least. It is a nicely done magazine with no obvious print competition. It has fairly professionally done articles on a niche instrument, something that pleases me. Although there are many ads, they are ukulele-specific and direct my attention to things I may have otherwise missed. I look forward to it coming out, and my wife recently bought me a subscription.

Croaky Keith
04-05-2018, 10:30 PM
We have/had a British Uke Mag, which I subscribed to when it launched, but it became an advertising publication with very little 'real' content, I only took 8 issues before cancelling it! :(

kitsunegarcia
04-06-2018, 12:32 AM
About a 6-8 depending on the issue. I let my subscription lapse because people keep giving me their old ones for free. It's not bad but lots of ads I assume to pay for their existence.

Choirguy
04-06-2018, 12:48 AM
I ended up on an episode of Ooktown (Podcast), talking about education, and Stuart booked the publisher of Ukulele Magazine (Greg) on that show, too.

Greg encouraged people to e-mail him with feedback—I would think content suggestions would fall into that category.

I had suggested an interview with Mike Lynch before he passed (who was on dialysis at the time) and more chord melody arrangements.

I don’t mind the ads at all...but I do wish that all of the mainline manufacturers would post updated ads every issue so that you could see the latest instruments in one place.

I love the digital download that comes with the subscription—I save those on my iPad in PDF expert and access them when I am bored.

Jerryc41
04-06-2018, 01:53 AM
I'll give it a 10. It's the best ukulele magazine I've seen (It's also the only uke mag I've seen). It has good articles, nice pictures, good quality overall. I got it at a promotional rate, so that helps. I don't think I'd pay the full price.

I'd be satisfied with an all-digital version for a lower price.

Braddtastic
04-06-2018, 04:56 AM
I give it an 8, and agree with most of the comments I've read in this thread. I love the digital option that comes with the subscription, and love the newsletter. I love it when I see educational content exploring different brands (high and medium end), basic issues (humidity, setup), and wood types. Without a ton of major uke stars the magazine has some limits to deal with, but there are still several who I haven't seen any features on. I enjoy learning new things, exploring topics I'm not familiar with or can't afford, and the great production quality of the magazine. Hopefully it will continue to get better and better.

sukie
04-06-2018, 05:50 AM
I don't subscribe but I usually go to Barnes and Noble to pick one up. (I'd like bookstores to stick around).
I give it a 10. It gets a 10 because it's an ukulele magazine. How cool is that? I love the ads. Shows me what's out there. I like the articles, I like the songs, heck...I just like it all.

Rob Uker
04-06-2018, 07:37 AM
I would give it a solid 8. Even though it doesn’t always reflect what I’m into I think it is good for the Big ukulele audience. I’m very happy it exists and if we don’t support it it will go away.
As for ads, I like ads. A decade ago the filks that were pla would have been thrilled to have a magazine of this quality.
Yes, it can be a bet cutesy but most Ukulele players gravitate to ukulele for the joy of it. So I think it speaks to the common denominator.
I think I’ll upgrade my rating to a 9.

Rllink
04-06-2018, 08:01 AM
I think it is well done. I subscribed for a few years, but then it expired and I didn't renew. Like a lot of things, it goes around in circles. There is only so much you can say about ukuleles, then you have to recycle it around again. So after a while there isn't anything new. But I don't think that is the fault of the magazine. That is just the way it is. I think it is well done. I give it a 10 for the first couple of go arounds.

Jim Yates
04-06-2018, 11:06 AM
I usually pick one up when I see it in a store. Like some others have said, I would like to see some more challenging instructional material and tabs, but I always find something interesting in each issue.

mjh42
04-06-2018, 01:51 PM
I saw the magazine in a Barnes and Nobel and picked it up. This was late Nov. early Dec. 2017. I don't get to the bookstore all that often any more (most books I hear about and then pick up on line) so I bought it. Before the end of 2017 there were some sale price subscriptions, picked one up for me and gave a gift subscription to a friend who plays and lives far way. Only have looked at two issues so hard to rate. Likely to keep getting at least for a little while. Subscribe to a couple of other mags in what I would call nitche areas of interest. In the digital age it can be nice to have a paper copy to lounge around with......

EspressoDan
04-06-2018, 02:59 PM
It is an attractive magazine that makes a great conversation starter when reading in public. It is nice to look at ukes I will probably never own and read about talent I will never have. There are a lot of ads to help pay for the glossy pictures but they are expected and ok. It seems many of the articles/reviews are really paid advertisements and it is a little disappointing to see advertisements passed off as journalism. I don't subscribe but have bought every issue for the past couple years and look forward to a new issue every 3 months. It seems like the printed music has increased in difficulty over the past couple issues but it could just be fewer C chords.

Choirguy
04-06-2018, 03:02 PM
In respect to timing, I just received notice that the new issue is available for downloading.