Your favorite music to play when alone?

TobyDog

Reaction score
When it's just you, practicing/playing by yourself. What brings you the most joy?

For me it's Daniel Ho's Polani music. I'm loving it! When I get it mastered I'll buy his 'Songbook' which has a whole different set of songs on it. I hope he's in the studio right now, working on some new stuff.

Sixties and seventies protest songs.

See avatar.

bratsche

I currently only ever play alone but my family can probably hear me through the closed door. As I only ever play alone I can't say that I have a favorite for that occasion but what I play most frequently would be
old-school / traditional / "real" country, Bob Dylan and John Prine. I've been working on some Bruce Springsteen lately.

I've settled with jazz standards. Love the shuffle strum and feel of the old jazz standards... just learned autumn leaves really digging it now.! I got about 7 songs I've worked hard to learn note by note..... soon to be 8, starting on Blue Moon.

Getting faster at learning songs. It used to take me 1.5weeks to learn a full song from sheet music... now can do it in two days if I focus. Unfortunately I don't have the gift of the ear and "intuition" so it's just brute force memory when learning music for me.

NAKED :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I like variety, but I do enjoy oldies & blues. I like playing alone as well as with groups. I love playing right before bedtime to de-stress. My mom & my dog do enjoy my playing. At least they don’t tell me to stop.
Right now I’m working on Mike Lynch’s chord melody version of If by David Gates/Bread. Beautiful song.

Last edited:
I play alone early in the morning, when I first arise. I like to start slow and pretty much stay there. I start with Rob McKillops Hawaiian Landscape with Rain (very slow). Then I have a painfully slow campanella version of Poor Wayfaring Stranger, which I try to play with a lot of feeling. This is usually followed by a few John King campanella pieces. Lately I've been ending with an upbeat arrangement that I wrote of Sonny Chillingworth's slack-key guitar song Lilo's Mele (Grandsons Lullabye).

I hope you are playing the big LFdM baritone !

I always play alone in the corner. Just finished posting a video so I am in withdrawal mode again until I found the next song. I may try Ed Sheeran new song name ‘ Perfect’ but of course instrumental as usual. No singing and dancing here!

Last edited:
Lately I've been playing whatever exercises I can adapt from Christopher Parkening's Guitar Method Volume 1 (classical). If something doesn't adapt well to four strings, I get out a guilele.

Best for me are the songs I like to sing. Finnish folk songs and older popular tunes that are accompanied with my uke.

Frequently I'll run across a youtube video, but I won't actually watch it; I just read the description to get the chords. Then I make my own song and strum pattern from the chords

I like old standards, jug band tunes, and some other stuff: Walkin' My Baby Back Home, Ain't She Sweet, Sweet Sue, My Blue Heaven, Boodle-Am-Shake, Washington At Valley Forge, Lindberg Hop, Ukulele Lady, Get Out Those Old Records, Let's Talk Dirty In Hawaiian . . .
These Days my favourite seems to be If I Had You.

Last edited:
Top Bottom