SBM (Strings By Mail)

Michael70

Reaction score
Not sure how many here use this company for strings but I ordered a few sets to experiment with since I heard you go through Uke strings more so than guitar being they are nylon....???

I am new to the Uke world so I cannot testify to these things but I did see SBM were recommended.

I ordered a set of low G Aquila Reds and another highly rated low G set called Luthier Clear Super Carbon.

This seems to be a company that mainly deals in strings but has a few other accessories as well. I am sure however, most of you know this.

I use SBM often. Decent selections. Flat shipping rate. I usually receive the order within 2-3 business days. I have never tried the Luthier brand but have been wondering about it. It would be nice if you'd do a review of this brand later.

I use SBM pretty much exclusively. They have a huge selection, good prices, great service and the shipping rates to Canada are reasonable. What's not to like........the hand written note on every order thanking me for the business is a great touch.

Dave said it all.

Dave said it all
Dave buys it all. ;)

I have purchased a uke bag from SBM , I asked them to ship to my luthier in the US. It arrived in under three days during Christmas rush.
I purchased Aquila red strings in local shops and other on line stores, they all have breakage issue except SBM! They must carry the most up to date stocks.

...I heard you go through Uke strings more so than guitar being they are nylon....???.....

No, most uke strings typically last way longer, since they are usually flouro or nylon, with no metallic windings to get gunked up. I can kill a set of metallic guitar strings in a few days, or 1 gig, while my uke strings can last many many months, if I keep them and the fretboard clean.

I ordered from them a few days ago. I ordered little (1/8") side marker dots. They don't rely on an adhesive, but some kind of "magic." I haven't put them on yet. I got nine dots for $8.85.

The order came quickly, was packed nicely, and included a classy-looking sticker. I'm sure I'll order from them again.

I've been ordering from both

Strings By Mail (SBM)

and

Strings and Beyond (SAB)

for over 4 yrs.

Never had an issue with either, and most orders received within 1 week or less to NJ.

Sometimes SBM has strings I want that SAB does not, but both have competitive pricing and ~$4 reasonable shipping costs in USA.

Local shops give me dumb looks and laugh at me, if I ask about anything other than Aquila uke strings, and I do not enjoy being treated like I am stupid for knowing about the 100 or so other options available for uke strings that you can get online.

So in this case, the local shop will not have me as a customer.

IMHO, most uke strings (and guitar strings) sold on Amazon are 2x-3x the price of SBM or SAB and as such, I consider them a total ripoff, even with Amazon Prime free shipping.

I use SBM exclusively. John and Steve are great guys, prices are fine and the service is amazing. With all my guitars and Ukes I buy 25-30 sets of strings a year.
Ron

I've been ordering from Strings By Mail for a while now. I'm consistently impressed by their service and variety of strings in stock. In fact, I placed my latest order yesterday morning. It was shipped within a couple hours, and the package is out for delivery TODAY! This is with the flat $3.95 shipping. Now I only live about 180 miles from Traverse City, but still. This is amazing service! :D:D:D

Elderly and Sweetwater are good, too.

I use SBM often. Decent selections. Flat shipping rate. I usually receive the order within 2-3 business days. I have never tried the Luthier brand but have been wondering about it. It would be nice if you'd do a review of this brand later.

My friend, if I were an accomplished player I might be inclined to do so but I am a mere beginner with a slight guitar background. I do not think that makes me qualified to review them for sure. But I will post on how they sound when picked and strummed to a degree as compared to the Aquila nylgut's on it from the factory.

If I can ever get as good as you folks I may be able to speak with certainty for sure.

My friend, if I were an accomplished player I might be inclined to do so but I am a mere beginner with a slight guitar background. I do not think that makes me qualified to review them for sure. But I will post on how they sound when picked and strummed to a degree as compared to the Aquila nylgut's on it from the factory.

If I can ever get as good as you folks I may be able to speak with certainty for sure.

Yes, but for those of us who are also just uke beginners with a really minimal background on guitars, it is useful to know what you think when you hear the various brands and types of strings! I bought my first set of Worth's from Strings by Mail about two weeks after buying my very first ukulele - to replace the nylguts I didn't like. And the Worth Browns were better sounding and kinder to my un-callused newbie fingers!

SBM is my go to resource for strings for sure! I love the great selection of uke strings and prices, but more importantly, the outstanding customer service, which includes a hand written thank you note that arrives with each order.

On a side note, I do try to support Andrew over at H.M.S./The Ukulele Site by buying strings from him, however, stock on hand is quite limited. Andrew came out with the Ko'olau "Aho" string sets last year, which included 5 different string set combinations. The fluorocarbons used in these Aho sets are custom made to Andrew's specs. I bought several sets of the smooth wound Low G, flat wound C, and fluorocarbons for the E and A stings, which are great!:shaka:

SBM order came today and like everyone stated.....a personalized thank you note! Wow.....old school and loving it! Order was expertly packed and quite honestly, way over done for protection but no complaints here. I am certainly a fan and ordered on Friday and received on Monday in NC. Can't beat that with a 10 foot pole as they say!

Top Bottom