Wider nut sopranos

RafterGirl

Reaction score
Besides Kanilea & Islander, are there any other soprano ukuleles with a 1.5 inch nut? Do KoAloha sopranos have the 1 7/16 nut like their concert ukuleles?
Thanks

My cheap laminate Donner has a 1.5" nut. It sounds pretty good too, after lowering the nut a little.
And a string change to martin m600s.
We've bought a couple and gifted one.

I've seen that list before. Unfortunately it's not 100% accurate. KoAloha & Kala Elite sopranos are not 1.5 as listed.

Kala Elite makes both standard width and 1.5".

E

You can order a Kinnard soprano with a 1 1/2 inch neck.

Kala Elite makes both standard width and 1.5".

E
Do they have 1.5 in a soprano? The reason I’m curious is that I’ve been playing my Islander soprano a lot lately & wondering about options in solid wood/higher end ukuleles with wider nuts.

Not to highjack Eddie, but I checked on this with Kala and HMS before.
Elites are normally 1.5 inch wide necks but they can also be ordered with the standard 1 3/8 inch neck designated as “slim neck” with SN in the model number. I was also told that the neck is a little thinner too for the SNs.
Note too though that the sopranos have 12 frets to the body and no more(short fretboard).

Last edited:
Not to highjack Eddie, but I checked on this with Kala and HMS before.
Elites are normally 1.5 inch wide necks but they can also be ordered with the standard 1 3/8 inch neck designated as “slim neck” with SN in the model number. I was also told that the neck is a little thinner too for the SNs.
Note too though that the sopranos have 12 frets to the body and no more(short fretboard).
All of the Kala Elite sopranos I’ve seen on Reverb, Mim, Elderly, etc have had 1.375 nuts. I’ll have to check for SN in their serial numbers. Aaron at HMS did tell me once that Kala Elites have beefier necks. I’ll also check out Pohaku & Kepasa but I fear they may be out of my price range.

I did more looking and Uke Republic carries Kala Elite with 1.5 nut. Concerts and Tenors at the moment. So that is a possibility.

Do they have 1.5 in a soprano? The reason I’m curious is that I’ve been playing my Islander soprano a lot lately & wondering about options in solid wood/higher end ukuleles with wider nuts.

Just in case you or some other reader doesn’t realise Islander Ukes are available in solid as well as laminate, maybe that’s an option to check out.

Kiwaya, Martin, Ken Timms - not quite 1.5 in each case but wider than most

A soprano Flea from The Magic Fluke Company has a 1.4" nut, which is close.

See chart below (taken from MFC web site):

YnxCNhW.png

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. Now I have a few new ideas of what to look for when I shop for a new soprano. A solid mahogany Islander or a Kanile’a would be safe bets since I already like the feel of my laminate Islander, but it’s nice to have choices.

One more question..... Romero Creations XS soprano?

Last edited:
Top Bottom