Last chance for KLOS Uke at Initial Discount!

lifereinspired

Reaction score
Hi All!

I just wanted to share this for those that may not have seen the other thread that mentions this. KLOS has been running a successful crowdfunding campaign on Indiegogo and was fully funded in less than 30 minutes after starting. There are still 4 days to go and you can get a KLOS 20% off or more of the retail price (depending on which option you get). This is radically more affordable than options like the Blackbird and the initial reviews have been positive. It's a highly durable carbon fiber tenor uke.

They have lots of videos now showing the uke's sound as well as a few crazy videos showing the durability, for fun. You can see their videos here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2VIZcRfnLIOxsfnOPVvo-Q

I wanted to make sure that anyone interested had the chance to get the uke before it goes to retail pricing. From what little I can tell, it appears there are few "sales" on KLOS instruments after they go to retail so this seems to be a good price that will probably be hard to find again. There will be the chance to add a few "options" including strap buttons, stiffening rods, Low-G (they will alter the nut to fit Low-G strings), etc after the campaign closes. I wasn't sure how that was going to work and reached out to KLOS to ask, early in the campaign. I was pleasantly surprised with Adam Klos himself responded personally, the very next day. Good customer service.

Here's a direct link to the KLOS Ukulele campaign on Indiegogo: https://igg.me/at/4VYpHgrSHtw/x/17674574 I can't seem to find the exact time that it ends but it just changed to 3 days left, so it must end sometime Thursday, April 12. Please correct or add more specific info if you find it.

Lastly, here's a link to the other thread that was started back when the KLOS uke was just a bit more than a rumor and myth, before the campaign was announced. It has some good information for those interested. http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...aybe-a-KLOS-carbon-fiber-ukulele-in-the-works

Hope that proves helpful! Sorry if this stokes UAS in anyone. ;) Have fun with your ukes!

PS I don't know the specifics, but KLOS is advertising that they have special deal on some of their guitars during the Indiegogo uke campaign, to celebrate. You may have to contact them to find out the specifics but if you know anyone who wants a KLOS guitar, it also may be worth contacting them to ask about it. The info is near the bottom of the Indiegogo KLOS Uke campaign, if you want to check it out specifically.

Last edited:
I was the 28th person to order the Deluxe Acoustic Electric a few days ago and it's now up to 44 orders out of the 50 total available of this particular style. Going Fast!

There are only a couple of manufacturers I'd trust to build a superior Carbon Fiber acoustic guitar: Blackbird and Klos.

On a side note, there are a number of ukes being advertised as carbon fiber and they are not . . . technically. They are injection molded carbon composite ukes. Totally different. The Klos and Blackbird are made of woven carbon fiber material. If you can't see the weave, it ain't the real deal. It is impossible to get the tonal quality from an inj molded or 3D printed soundboard. Just me 2 cents.

I am getting just the basic. I missed the initial offer at $419 and paid $439. That said, I will probably opt for the stiffening rods and the tusq/graphtech upgrades. Hopefully it will be a pretty indestructible toss in the car take anywhere uke. For me electronics don't fit well in some environments.

John

I am getting just the basic. I missed the initial offer at $419 and paid $439. That said, I will probably opt for the stiffening rods and the tusq/graphtech upgrades. Hopefully it will be a pretty indestructible toss in the car take anywhere uke. For me electronics don't fit well in some environments.

John

Interesting! I didn't know that the graphtech/tusq would be a potential upgrade. That is quite intriguing. I may have to consider that! Those are actually the main things I was interested in on the deluxe model. I'm passing on electrics as well, opting for other options for recording/amplification if I want later on. :)

Interesting! I didn't know that the graphtech/tusq would be a potential upgrade. That is quite intriguing. I may have to consider that! Those are actually the main things I was interested in on the deluxe model. I'm passing on electrics as well, opting for other options for recording/amplification if I want later on. :)

I hadn't seen any mention yet of upgrades being available on the nut and saddle. I wasn't thinking about it, considering that I don't feel these are as critical on a uke as they are on a guitar. But I just noticed that on their basic model KLOS guitar the nut and saddle are listed as "White ABS", which is essentially just cheap plastic. Heck, even cheap ukes nowadays come with bone or Micarta saddles and nuts. So I think I will spring for Graphtech upgrades if they are offered.

I sent a question about the graphtech upgrade to Adam Klosowiak and here was his response:

Hey John,

That will be an option when the campaign is over!

Thanks,
Adam

On the stiffening rods option, I did not ask, but I recall from seeing that question from someone else and the response was the same for any options that would be available.

John

I've emailed Adam a number of times too. I think he would have saved himself a lot of bother from eager uke players if they had made more of this clear at the start of the campaign!

I've emailed Adam a number of times too. I think he would have saved himself a lot of bother from eager uke players if they had made more of this clear at the start of the campaign!

Agreed! I wasn't sure when I "backed" the campaign if I was doing it right, since there was literally no info at the time on the options/upgrades. Having said that, I was completely impressed that when I wrote him and asked the question right after ordering, I received a personal, informative response directly from Adam directly. Pretty awesome customer service. :)

Awesome to hear that the Graphtech/TUSQ will be upgrade options! Exciting. Those where what I was really wanting on the Deluxe so I may be able to get just those on the basic. Nice - and a great choice by KLOS. And, to confirm the strap buttons and the stiffening rods will definitely also be upgrade options as well.

I wasn't sure whether to get the electric or deluxe. I inquired about the cost of some of the deluxe options I'd like to add to the electric and this is the response:
Strap pins $20
TUSQ saddle and nut: $30
graphtech tuners: $75.

So that's $125, which is only $25 shy of the deluxe. I'll probably just get the deluxe then and get the updated fishman and flourocarbon strings. Oh yeah, and the keychain ukulele sound hole, whatever that is. :D
-steve

.looks like the upgrade list could easily be the cost of another uke! Tuners are probably something I could change later if I felt the need. Strap buttons/ stiffing in rods and saddle/nut, not so much. Am I missing something about the tuner because I am new to ukulele?

.......Am I missing something about the tuner because I am new to ukulele?

I wouldn't spend another $75 for the Graph Tech Ratio Tuners. The deal with these is that the gear ratio changes with the string diameter, so that a 1/4 turn on each achieves the same change in pitch for each string. Note that they were developed for acoustic steel guitars, so I'm not sure how that translates to ukuleles. But even the least expensive geared tuners seem to work fine on a uke, so I wouldn't see the need for that upgrade. I also just noticed that only the deluxe version of the uke comes with fluorocarbon strings, while the lesser two models comes with nylon. I expect to change strings anyway, that does seem rather cheap of the company. I mean, Martin fluorcarbon strings are like $6 a set.

ON the other hand, anyone who spends hundreds of dollars on a uke will likely change their strings in anycase. Fluorocarbon or not. Strings are such a personal matter of taste and so cheap. I think they made this assumption. I will be ordering either Romero or Worth brown strings (or both) when ETA gets closer and I may mix and match strings. Graph Tech Tuners? First time I've heard of them really. Just went to their website and I love the technology/engineering of these tuners.

I wouldn't spend another $75 for the Graph Tech Ratio Tuners. The deal with these is that the gear ratio changes with the string diameter, so that a 1/4 turn on each achieves the same change in pitch for each string. Note that they were developed for acoustic steel guitars, so I'm not sure how that translates to ukuleles. But even the least expensive geared tuners seem to work fine on a uke, so I wouldn't see the need for that upgrade. I also just noticed that only the deluxe version of the uke comes with fluorocarbon strings, while the lesser two models comes with nylon. I expect to change strings anyway, that does seem rather cheap of the company. I mean, Martin fluorcarbon strings are like $6 a set.

That is cool tech for a tuner, but Ill save the 75. I currently have Magic Fluke Ukuleles and like the friction tuners. I am looking to upgrade those to nicer units, but geared tuners should be fine.

I agree that the Graphtech tuners are not worth the cost. For me the TUSQ saddle and nut for $30 and probably stiffening rods will be the only options. I'd be interested in what the stiffeners are going to cost. I can see a need for them in some environments.

John

I wasn't sure whether to get the electric or deluxe. I inquired about the cost of some of the deluxe options I'd like to add to the electric and this is the response:
Strap pins $20
TUSQ saddle and nut: $30
graphtech tuners: $75.

So that's $125, which is only $25 shy of the deluxe. I'll probably just get the deluxe then and get the updated fishman and flourocarbon strings. Oh yeah, and the keychain ukulele sound hole, whatever that is. :D
-steve

I must be missing something on the math because the Deluxe is $649 and the standard is either $419 or $439 - and difference of either $230 or $210. Still likely agree that the tuners aren't worth it but means that one isn't missing the pickup for just $25 difference. It's the $230 difference that I couldn't justify in the beginning. I'll definitely add the strap pins, don't really have a choice because due to severe health issues, I rely on a strap not to drop my uke (even though this particular uke could survive that, I don't want risk it!) and the stiffening rod(s) I would think would help long term durability. For $30 the TUSQ seems like a good option and one that would be much more difficult to do later on whereas, my understanding is that tuners can much more easily be changed later, if desired. So, looks like I'll be springing for around $80 in upgrades, if the stiffening rods come in the same price as on the guitars (which could be less, given that ukes are smaller - though I'm not sure they'll go that way). Plus, even though the tuners sound like very cool technology, I'm not sure that will affect the actual "tone" of the uke like the TUSC nut/saddle would. Is that correct? Still learning...

@70sSanO, I believe on the guitars they run $30 so I'm thinking somewhere around there or possibly a bit less, given the smaller size of the uke. Having said that, I'm not sure most manufacturers see things that way so I'm thinking more likely the same price as guitar. ;)

(To confirm pricing click the following link: https://klosguitars.com/products/klos-carbon-fiber-acoustic-electric-guitar?variant=8582839107627. Now, you can add or remove the stiffening rods and see the price@70s difference, or at least, that's how I found it.)

One of the reasons I chose the Deluxe was for the Kula preamp (the non-deluxe model has the Fishman Sonitone preamp). It has EQ low, mid, high and a kinda fun tuner built in. I think the value of the package is well worth the price.

One of the reasons I chose the Deluxe was for the Kula preamp (the non-deluxe model has the Fishman Sonitone preamp). It has EQ low, mid, high and a kinda fun tuner built in. I think the value of the package is well worth the price.

No doubt! If I had the extra $$, I would have LOVED that package. I think it's great. I just couldn't quite justify the difference for myself from the Early Bird price, which I was fortunate enough to get. Otherwise, the Deluxe is a "dream uke". Good for you for grabbing one!

Curious if you buyers intend to use them outdoors/backpacking? Curious about the appeal for high end synthetic ukes. The bridge and fretboard are still wood, so why go carbon fiber?

Last edited:
Curious if you buyers intend to use them outdoors/backpacking? Curious about the appeal for high end synthetic ukes. The bridge and fretboard are still wood, so why go carbon fiber?

It will be a ukulele that I can toss in the car, take on trips, etc. without worrying about the environment or even what happens to it very much. Obviously leaving the uke in the car in Phoenix in July might be an issue, but I'm not sure what the temperature limit would be to cause a problem. The wood fretboard doesn't concern me. I am a bit concerned about the graphite covered wood neck, which is why the stiffening rods might must have.

The other caveat will be the sound. If the production ukes sound like the samples and are nice playing, it will serve its purpose. If it doesn't live up to it, it won't be used much.

I recently picked up a used Clara that has its share of issues, but I've worked around them. Until now I never knew how nice it is to take a ukulele around without having to worry about it. I'm hoping the KLOS will be a tenor version of that worry free instrument.

John

Last edited:
Top Bottom