Best Way To Memorize Songs

Nikoslikos

Reaction score
This is a topic that has been discussed a lot but I kinda have the feeling that most of us are doing it the wrong way. At least I was..
What I mean is that we keep practicing the songs over and over again to commit to memory ,the same way everytime, and if that has no fancy results we then complaint about our pour memory...I know cause I 've been there...
Now there is a simple fact I want to share with you guys, a key factor in my opinion in order to accomplish this, which has helped me a lot!
Poerty!
Yes poerty...that's what it is with songs in the first place I suppose. A song is a melodic poem, a good story worth to be told. So instead of trying to memorize chords and difficult lyrics (seen as chords and difficult lyrics) I came to the conclusion that if I can sing the song much as like a story away from my instrument and then add the appropriate accompaniament ( intros and outros..tempo..strumming pattern..etc) it sort of stays longer in my head and I don't forget it..
Not a magic technique of course but it works a lot better for me ☺. I just wanted to share!
I 'll be glad to hear your point of view on that!

Last edited:
I am a numbers guy and was a engineering major (mechanical) before changing majors way back in the 80's and I look for patterns which most songs are. Now this is mainly the rhythm over melody. I do not do well with melody. I am a rhythm person mainly. I have found after reading over the pattern and then playing it several times it comes naturally. Maybe at times not exact 100% but so close a novice would not know.

I am no pro what so ever and the uke is new to me as I use to dabble in guitar and not even to a decent level to play on a stage. So to me exact is not a necessity of my hobby here. But I say to each whatever works then use it because we are engineered so differently. I am curious to see what others say.

Yes - totally agree... Telling the story of the song helps me remember it; but the bigger effect is that it makes it sound better to others, and feel better to play. I happily admit to shedding a tear at certain points in a song's story - no matter how many times I have played it. That's the power, and the joy of this sort of story telling.
In "showbiz" they often refer to "selling a song" meaning "does the listener believe it and go along with you for the ride?" If you don't believe it neither will they.

Hello from a pedagogical point of view, the best way to improve your music memory is probably transcription. Meaning writing a piece of music in standard notation or even tabs after listening.... For me I'm not sure if I could even attain that level of ear-menship. But I do 20min exercise before bed of rhythmic dictation ~ about 20 questions. I will play 3 bars of rhythm, and I transcribe the notes on standard notation. I'm at too a point where I can transcribe after one listen. It's improved my memory, sight reading, and timing as well for playing. I remember having to count the beats, and it would just confuse the heck out of me... now I do not even count when I play.

My next goal is to do melodic dictation... but transcribing the right note on the staff seems very daunting for me as my pitch recognition is non-existent :)

Top Bottom