Buzzing again

plunker

Reaction score
I just put Living Waters strings on my tenor. The lst time I did this it got a buzz that wasn't there before, Now it is back. Looks like third string first fret. What am I doing wrong?

An easy experiment might be to place a thin piece of paper in that string's nut slot, then retune, ans see if the buzz goes away. If so, it may be a nut issue needing attention, or just leave the paper, or hope it goes away with seasonal humidity changes.

I second this suggestion. My first question would be to carefully measure the diameters of the old vs. new strings. If the new string is smaller, and the nut slot has a V shape, then it will be resting lower than before - which of course could cause buzzing.

Hi Plunker, imo it seems a bit odd for the C string to be giving a buzz there, I'm just a bit curious how you tension your machine heads when re-stringing ? Reason - I've seen some people suggesting to tension the C string first then follow with others, and I wonder if you've tensioned the C string prior to tensioning other strings. What I usually do is start tensioning on one string and then go around the headstock tensioning each machine head (and string) in increments, so that the tension is applied evenly. I think of it as tensioning a Drum head, because my first instrument was drums (years ago now), when you tension a drum head you tension it evenly otherwise too much tension on one lug before others can create uneven tension on the head. likewise I've found although it's not very noticeable at first, the same thing can happen when tensioning machine heads (strings) and it can create uneven tension over the strings, headstock and neck. It's a suggestion worth considering but only you know how you have tensioned them at this stage. In this case, if it's applicable, you can loosen off the strings to release tension and simply tension them more evenly. If you have low G, and you've tensioned G and C strings first I suspect the odds of uneven tension the neck is even more so, and I would think that could be a cause.

(*While I'm mentioning drum heads , as some people have banjoleles, when tensioning a drum head tension the lugs in opposites to apply opposite tension evenly. In other words, start on one then start on it's opposite, then go to the one at 90 degrees from there and start on that one then it's opposite, then start on the ones between them and their opposite accordingly, this way you will get an even tension rather than an offest tension which you don't want. Just thought I'd throw that one in as you never know who's reading what, but this is irrelevant for this specific thread regarding the Uke)

I honestly have no idea if any of this will be helpful for you, but as said I think it's worth consideration.
It does seem an odd case , and I can understand why you think there's a possibility something is amiss, and there probably is, just finding out what it is could be a process of elimination, and loosening your strings and re-tensioning them evenly is an easy way to start that process, but whether or not you think that is applicable in your case I can't say.

If your Uke is one of those with a Truss rod, you could give a very slight tweak to release of the tension in the neck just a tiny bit, as it's possible there could be less tension in the new strings you are using. Sometimes the thicker strings tend to bounce a bit more than the thinner strings and it might just be a very slight tweak required to rectify that in this case.

And another thing, sometimes a neck will tension itself out better over a day or two after being strung up, I doubt I would wait on it though, and I'd simply check those other things, you'll figure it out.

imo all these things are rather unlikely, but all possible I suppose.

Last edited:
You need to determine from where the buzz originates: from the frets, from the bridge, from inside the body, or from the nut (not likely in this case, since it seems to occur when fretting). In your case, it sounds like the string is hitting the next fret, is that correct?

A buzz occurring with new strings might indicate that these strings have less tension (yet), so the neck is allowed to bow back more than before, as Dean Beaver pointed out. If the buzz went away the first time you used the same set of strings, then it will likely go away now after you retuned your uke a few times and brought them up to full tension. My guess.

...A buzz occurring with new strings might indicate that these strings have less tension (yet), so the neck is allowed to bow back more than before, as Dean Beaver pointed out. If the buzz went away the first time you used the same set of strings, then it will likely go away now after you retuned your uke a few times and brought them up to full tension. My guess.

I concur with this ^

If you took off all the strings at once, the neck will relax and bow backwards slightly, and then you put the new strings on, TENSION has sort of a slow pull on the neck for the first 24-48 hrs and as you tune the strings, and then they stretch, the tension is constantly changing. It is only when the tuning is settled and the strings are no longer stretching that you will have a 'resting' tension on the neck, and then the back-bow will be resolved.

At this point the buzzing should have been resolved.

This problem of the neck relaxing and bowing back can be mostly prevented by removing/changing only one string at a time, since you will still have most of the tension on the neck from the other 3 strings which are still tuned up to concert pitch.

less tension isn't just about relief.

Less tension means the string travels farther back and forth when it's plucked.
I specifically setup pretty low because I mostly play finger style, and use wound 3 and 4 so I can go lower without buzzing.
But on ukes set that way, if I use plastic 3/4, I get buzz.

If it's the same kind of string... you could try humidifying it, and see if the buzz stops.
Most likely the colder weather means your room is dryer, and probably your neck has less relief.

That seems more likely than a slight change in overall tension changing the relief on it.

Or it could be humidity difference caused one fret to lift.

Top Bottom