Traveling To Costa Rica!

VegasGeorge

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'm going to Costa Rica for a couple of weeks. I'd love to find an instrument there, a Uke or Cuatro, to play and bring home. Any idea where good ones can be found? :D

Don't want to say this with certainty, but don't count on finding anything worth taking home. In Central America in general the only way to get a decent Cuatro (Ukulele even more difficult) is to have a local luthier build one. The quality there varies widely too, there is generally no humidity control, and you won't know for sure what you'll end up with if you do find someone and try to commission something.

Save your time for the mountains and beaches.

I thought I had a line on something called "PuraVida" Ukuleles made in Costa Rica. But then I got an email from them telling me that they'd "packed up" and moved to Europe. Odd, they didn't say where in Europe. Oh well, maybe the cab driver's brother-in-law will know of someplace. Thanks for the reply.

Anyone else have a thought?

Last edited:
Don't want to say this with certainty, but don't count on finding anything worth taking home. In Central America in general the only way to get a decent Cuatro (Ukulele even more difficult) is to have a local luthier build one. The quality there varies widely too, there is generally no humidity control, and you won't know for sure what you'll end up with if you do find someone and try to commission something.

Save your time for the mountains and beaches.

Dude, when are you guys going to start the ukulele imports?

Dude, when are you guys going to start the ukulele imports?

It's been quite awhile, but we're coming down the home stretch. Final prototype should arrive next week. Materials are already on site for the first small production batch after that. They're hand-built, not factory production, so I'll guess 6-8 months to have them available. The first model will actually be a classical strung Tenor Guitar, with three smaller models to follow.

Thanks for asking!

...In Central America in general the ...quality there varies widely...there is generally no humidity control, and you won't know for sure what you'll end up with if you do find someone and try to commission something....Save your time for the mountains and beaches.

I agree with that assessment. My wife's family live in Honduras and so I've visited there many, many times with my wife and children...my experience may not be representative of C.A. in general, but sourcing your instrument from there doesn't make it likely you're getting something "special"...mejor disfrutar la naturaleza de esta region del mundo tan lindo...

I have come across ukuleles made of Honduran mahogany. I'm no tree-hugger, but I do care about caring for the environment. I would recommend not buying instruments made from Honduran mahogany....there are very few of those trees left and no one is replanting them.

Top Bottom