PDA

View Full Version : Rich sounding Tenor for under $300 Canadian?

larabie23
04-13-2018, 03:42 AM
UAS has kicked in again-looking for a rich sounding tenor for under $300.

I have the Kala thinline and the Kala KA-TG mahogany gloss (which has a low G). I like the sound of the low g for a handful of songs, and I like the sound of the cedar top on the thinline but am looking for a richer tone (with high G) like the lovely Islander Koa (soprano) that I have an the concert Islander salted maple.

So....for tenors I’m eyeing the Kala ebony, the Luna Koa, (higher than my price range though) and possibly the Islander Koa AT-4. I worry the neck is too thick for a tenor but I love the sound of Koa.

I wonder if the Ebony would be my best option ? It’s hard deciding from select video clips online and I am not close to any instrument store. Also, Canadian suppliers would be my preference due to additional import charges that come with buying from US.

I also came across some awesome sounding resonators such as the Kala Archback resonator, but that for now, is out of my budget range :( (Unless someone wants to part with theirs, which I highly doubt as it sounds outstanding!),

Also on the radar are the Kala Ka-BFT Bocote, and the Leho Mahogany Arch back.

Thanks for your input!

Uke Don
04-13-2018, 04:08 AM
I'd suggest you look at Mainland solid ukes for the price range you have set. I believe that all the ukes you mention are all laminate and won't sound much different from each other.

sam13
04-13-2018, 05:14 AM
I recommend a Pono Tenor with a solid top ... post something here ... someone will be willing to sell you one of theirs.

twokatmew
04-13-2018, 05:35 AM
I'd suggest you look at Mainland solid ukes for the price range you have set. I believe that all the ukes you mention are all laminate and won't sound much different from each other.

This. Yes, I'd suggest looking at Mainland solid ukes.

uketanzon
04-13-2018, 05:42 AM
Or all solid Ohana. Mainland and Ohana are pretty much the same....construction wise.

DownUpDave
04-13-2018, 11:38 AM
You say you own a Islander koa soprano that has the "rich" sound you love. Seems to me the same model in tenor size would fit the bill perfectly. When you have a specific sound in your head that you love it is hard to find that just anywhere. That being said the suggestion for Mainland in a solid mahogany is a great choice.

larabie23
04-13-2018, 01:47 PM
You say you own a Islander koa soprano that has the "rich" sound you love. Seems to me the same model in tenor size would fit the bill perfectly. When you have a specific sound in your head that you love it is hard to find that just anywhere. That being said the suggestion for Mainland in a solid mahogany is a great choice.

You know, Iíve been thinking of that as well. As a former guitar player I find the soprano challenging sometimes and I have several concert sized already so as of now, I am leaning towards the tenor version of the soprano that I already have. The wider neck would be a welcome change to the two Kala tenors that I have.

robinboyd
04-13-2018, 02:22 PM
Another option (in addition to the great suggestions already posted) would be a KPK.

Ikeepthepeace
04-13-2018, 04:12 PM
I PMed you

SoloRule
04-14-2018, 05:13 AM
I recommend Kala solid Mahogany baritone just because I have one to sell :D
Greeting from Toronto.

Croaky Keith
04-14-2018, 07:21 AM
That sounds like a good plan. ;)

larabie23
04-14-2018, 01:07 PM
I decided to get the Islander AT-4 tenor. I love the sound of the soprano version and the fact that the tenor body is a bit smaller than the average sized tenor was also a draw, as was the wider neck that I find helpful for some chords.

The ebony and bocote both look lovely but the sound is more important than looks ;-). The Islander has a nice satin finish that feels smooth and comfortable to play too :)