foldable travel uke kickstarter

plugged in.

Im not rushing to buy one.... but it does look neat.

I like it. The electric version would be great for travel, especially with headphones.

Hi everybody, i was looking on Google Astro ukulele and i found this thread , and i'm really happy about this, because i think this is a very good technical forum, where you can find really life story, and good opinions.

I'm Jacopo a cofounder of Astro ukulele, i'm not here for sale my products, or to convince you to buy it, but only to explain you how it is born this idea, and why it's born.
It all started a few years ago, in a rany day on a bus, while i was going to work at 6 am, with my backpack and my ukulele too.
During the travel i started to play my uku, to feel me more cheerful during this rany day.
I was happy because some people liked the music, but at the same time i felt guilty, because some people wanted to stay in peace at 6AM or simply don't like the uku.
So i stopped playing for not disturb.
Here i was thinking, it would be nice, to have an electric uku, where i can play, and listen my music in my headphones, with out disturbing other peoples.
Me and my music only.
When i came down the bus, i had on a waterproof jacket, but my backpack wasn't waterproof too, so in the same time, i didn't play and the uku was very very wet.
So the day didn't start well :(
Here i was thinking it would be nice to have a foldable uku, that i can put it in the pocket of my jacket, easy to carry, and not bulky.
I don't know you, but for me uku it's like a drug, i can not stay a day with out play it, and when i'm on a bus or plane, where i have to waiting, my fingers move by themself, and what's better to finding strings to pinch.

Now what about quality; we wanted to put online, video with no filters or effects, to show you exactly what we made, with our prototype, for correctness toward you.
Our it's not a professional instrument, it's not comparable to a classic uku, but it's a valid alternative to a classic uku, for everybody, who whant easly trasport it and enjoy the music every where and in every situation, with a cool design uku.
Made from modern techno plastic studied to transmit in the best way the uku vibration, coupled with new design electronic pcb board, where you can adjust and choose your effects, we want to give you a good quality sound with the electric ukulele Astro E.

For the acoustic version, the geometry is geometry, and we know this, the resonance chamber, is smaller than a normal uku volume, but our it's an alternative solution to a normal uku, it's not comparable because it is a different product.
The acoustic final version if the campaign ends well, will sound good, because made of the right material, in the video we play with a prototype for show you the idea, but i wasn't made with the right material, but with 3D printed plastic.

So this is our story :)
Our mission, is to see happy peolpe around the World, that have fun with uku in every situation.
Any proposal is welcome thanks

I think it has a niche. Coming from playing guitar, I often chuckle when I see travel ukuleles, because in comparison the instrument is already a travel instrument. I understand there are times when someone wants to play and be quiet, and there are other headphone ukuleles out there.

One thing that disappointed me is seeing the young man riding to a park and then putting headphones on to hear himself play. Playing outdoors, especially in a more natural setting, is one of my favorite things. Putting on headphones would not be something I would want to do. It appears that it doesn't lend itself well to playing with others. I have not looked into what is out there, but a compact electric weather resistant ukulele with built in amplification (be nice if it could come close to the sound of a Multi-uke but I'm probably dreaming) would interest me.

The folding feature is interesting. KLOS used something similar on their guitars. Would need to know how much de-tuning and retuning is needed.

Good luck with your venture!

John

I like the concept, especially the headphones while traveling idea. Plus it’s 8 inches shorter than a soprano Risa Stick when folded and only 1.5 ounces heavier. The concerns as already mentioned are sound quality and the ease with which it can be unfolded, tuned, and played, because that’s whats going to make or break it. If you’re going to keep it unfolded all the time because it’s even remotely a hassle to open it and tune, then you might be better off getting something like a Risa that has a decent sound from the start. But if your primary goal is keeping things quiet, then this might be a viable option after all.

I’m all for variety; I’m a little concerned about the price of the instrument. The electric version on kickstarter is $249 and the acoustic less than that—and one would assume that production price would be higher.

I’m not going to say that the instrument isn’t worth the cost—but I have bought other solutions for portability/travel at a lower cost.

Another famous crowd funded ukulele was the Outdoor Ukulele. It did not meet its funding goal...but they are certainly selling ukuleles today.

If there is any way for you to eventually lower the price—I think you would find a greater response. But that could be my flawed understanding of how these things work and my frugal nature.

The sound playing it acoustically is pretty poor. It may have value for use with headphones and find a niche.

Hi John, yes you are right normaly the ukulele is already a travel instrument, but we made it pocketale, another way to travel it, more easier.
In the video the young guy, used her headphones, not to isolate themself, but because he is playing the electronic version, and normaly is to easier have to you a headphones, that can use for your phone, tablet, or similar device.
If you want to share the music with the other peoples in the park, you can use a small portable amplifier, and enjoy your music.

About KLOS i know your solution, but it's not similar, our it's completly another solution not comparable with KLOS system.
In KLOS for fold your guitar, you need a tool for unscrew and screw again the neck, this take time, and you have the chance to loose some screws.

https://klosguitars.com/products/klos-carbon-fiber-acoustic-guitar?variant=8882376376363

In KLOS system you have alway to de tune and tune your guitar every time that you want to fold it.
In our system you only need your hands to fold and unfold your uku, with out detune and tune again,please take a look at dimostration video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpafk36MiRI

So i'm not here for telling you what's the better solution, but only for tell you that these are both good solution for travel, but not comparable.

Attachments

• KLOS.jpg
    KLOS.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 4
Interesting. In the video I can see that when folding the saddle position is actuated. It moves forward as the instrument is being bent thus releasing tension on the strings. The process is reversed when unfolding the instrument. So, going out of tune is less likely to happen. Pretty clever.

I like the concept, especially the headphones while traveling idea. Plus it’s 8 inches shorter than a soprano Risa Stick when folded and only 1.5 ounces heavier. The concerns as already mentioned are sound quality and the ease with which it can be unfolded, tuned, and played, because that’s whats going to make or break it. If you’re going to keep it unfolded all the time because it’s even remotely a hassle to open it and tune, then you might be better off getting something like a Risa that has a decent sound from the start. But if your primary goal is keeping things quiet, then this might be a viable option after all.

It's really easy to fold, just take a second, and the fantastic thing is that you don't need to detune and tune every time ;)

The sound playing it acoustically is pretty poor. It may have value for use with headphones and find a niche.

The sound in the video is poor, because you are seeing playing a printed 3D ukulele, made with FDM print technology.
When you use a FDM technology, you are using ABS or PLA material, that inside is porous, and this dosn't trasmit well the sound.
It's only a concept 3D part for show you our idea.
The true version will made with techno plastic studied for a good sound, but for made this we need to produce mould and other tools for the production, many expensive to produce a prototype only.

Interesting. In the video I can see that when folding the saddle position is actuated. It moves forward as the instrument is being bent thus releasing tension on the strings. The process is reversed when unfolding the instrument. So, going out of tune is less likely to happen. Pretty clever.

Really really thanks :) you understood perfectly our system.
It works like you are telling
Thanks for the clever :)

...when folding the saddle position is actuated. It moves forward as the instrument is being bent thus releasing tension on the strings. The process is reversed when unfolding the instrument. So, going out of tune is less likely to happen.

This is your selling feature and should be clearly stated. It still leaves sound quality as an undetermined factor. Not unlike what happened with Outdoor Ukulele, many people will wait for production models before making a decision to purchase.

Very clever, however, I am guessing that your bridge is held in place by a fairly strong spring, against which you are using the 'nylon' strings to pull, to be able to fold it, therefore putting a lot of extra tension on, & likely to stretch them more than on a normal uke, necessitating fairly regular string changes. Good luck with your project. :)

I would imagine there is some sort of lever inside the Uke that slides the bridge as the neck is being folded, if not as Keith said the strings wouldnt have much longevity if they are solely cranking the bridge along! :)

Yes there is a patented systems, that when you fold it, you don't tight the strings.

Top Bottom