My custom ordered Kimo Koa Tenor Ukulele - The New York Minute Koa Tenor Ukulele

Crazyguitar

Reaction score
As much as I am a newbie in the Ukulele circle, I have been a guitar player for quite a few years, hence the name "Crazyguitar" ! I have owned numerous guitars, to date I have approx. 30 guitars in my collection, ranging from Martins, Gibsons, Larivee and Lowdens to guitars from custom shops like Webber, Tippin, Woolson..+++ plus Archtop Jazz guitars and solid bodies +++:music:

I humbly confess that I have a serious case of G.A.S. ! In Jan. 2018, I was infected with U.A.S. !! I now have 2 Ponos, ATSH PC and a RSTH5 S PC. This wasn't quite enough, I need a custom built ! I needed to find a luthier that I can agree with his building concepts and within a reasonable affordability $$ level....my search started and I found Hank Johnson, "luthier extraordinary" of Kimo Ukulele in San Diego, California. Got on the phone with Hank and I asked him about his building concepts...from wood tones selection to building style, braces, neck shapes...I wanted my ukulele to be super responsive, have guitar like resonances and super playability up and down the neck. After multiple phone conversations, I decided that Hank is the luthier to build me what I wanted.

3 months to custom build my tenor ukulele...wow...I have waited close to 2 years for a custom build guitar !!

The day finally came, my custom build Kimo Koa Tenor Ukulele was a reality..just as I have asked for, a very lively and beautifully voiced instrument. Weighing in at 1 lb. 9 oz. Very comfortable neck, superb playability and masterfully build musical instrument with precision and even more important, with "real love" and "passion".

Reward yourself ! check out http://www.kimoukulele.com speak to Hank and have him build you your dream uke.

Presenting "The New York Minute Koa Tenor Ukulele" :music::

All Koa top, sides and back. (Thank you Hank for this beautiful Koa set)
Spalted Tamarind neck. (Masterfully shaped, great playability)
Tenor size
Ebony fingerboard and string through bridge
Abalone and Rosewood binding with Fuschia purfling.
Abalone rosette.
Flower inlay in the fingerboard.
Side side port
Bone nut and saddle
Gotoh UPT tuners
Koa facial and Burlwood back on headstock.
Misi pickup.

$_57.jpg

** My apologies ...can't seem to upload the correct size pics. **

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 141
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:
Congratulations on some awesome looking koa. Hank really does wonderful work, he has a good artistic eye and the skills to bring everything together. You have a nice growing stable of tenor ukes there, only 27 more to match your guitar collection, ;)

Congratulations on a STUNNING ukulele!
I had the pleasure of holding an playing a Kimo custom ukulele not long ago.
It made quite an impression on me, it was as beautiful as yours and sounded like a dream.
I was born and raised on the Big Island of Hawaii and I can't recall seeing more beautifully figured koa than
on those two Kimos. Its very impressive.

Kimo has definitely joined the ranks of the elite ukulele makers. Or maybe he's just finally getting recognized as such. Congrats!

Yes, I am very pleased with the Koa Tenor from Kimo Ukulele, beautifully and precision-ally build, feather light in weight and an amazing neck profile. The uke was strung with Pepe Romero's mellow Low G wound 4th. set and together with Hank's expert voicing, it sounds fantastic...

Thank you fellow UU members for all your comments. At the current pricing from Kimo Ukulele, it is a bargain for a custom hand build ukulele, by the maestro Hank Johnson.:music:

That uke looks marvelous!
Congratulations.

Top Bottom